davidgoretiz

Nick Senzel- 3B Reds

2 hours ago, Tayne said:

Suarez is not a natural SS.  He's passable at best.

Natural meaning that was his original position.

They should trade Duvall for whatever they can get. He is pretty useless to them. Move Scooter to LF. Plug Senzel into 2B.

• Like 2

Scooter's arm isn't healthy enough for the OF as of yet but otherwise I'd agree.

2 hours ago, fletch44 said:

They should trade Duvall for whatever they can get. He is pretty useless to them. Move Scooter to LF. Plug Senzel into 2B.

Or Peraza. move Suarez to SS and let Senzel play 3b

14 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Or Peraza. move Suarez to SS and let Senzel play 3b

Suarez was signed to be the Reds long term option at 3B. He's playing great defense and has blossomed into a stud on offense. He's blocking anyone else in the organization at the position. Senzel's path lies elsewhere. I would like to see him get reps at SS but for whatever reason they have him taking reps at 2B, even with Gennett's continued production and balky arm which makes it less likely the latter switches positions anytime soon. Not sure if there are reports on Senzel playing sub-par defense at SS, but it seems like such a logical path for him to take given Peraza's lack of production.

The recent drafting of Jonathan India also complicates things a bit given his ability to play short. Gennett is giving the organization a solid problem to have (at least short term). Barring a trade, Senzel may just remain in a holding pattern for a bit.

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 1

Here's a recent piece from the Cincinnati Enquirer expanding on the situation:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2018/06/11/senzels-healthy-hitting-but-theres-no-place-him-play/692940002/

"He’s not coming up until he has a place to play every day,” Reds General Manager Nick Krall said."

Edited by Dark One

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Here's a recent piece from the Cincinnati Enquirer expanding on the situation:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2018/06/11/senzels-healthy-hitting-but-theres-no-place-him-play/692940002/

"He’s not coming up until he has a place to play every day,” Reds General Manager Nick Krall said."

kroll_5_16_13-0001_wide-745823787ae67d41

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Reds are the MLB's worst franchise. They clearly don't care about winning baseball games. In the past few years they have shipped off so many good players, it is a joke. They aren't thinking about getting their best players on the field. I hope they trade Senzel, it would be the best thing that happened to him.

55 minutes ago, Devildog83 said:

The Reds are the MLB's worst franchise. They clearly don't care about winning baseball games. In the past few years they have shipped off so many good players, it is a joke. They aren't thinking about getting their best players on the field. I hope they trade Senzel, it would be the best thing that happened to him.

Why would the Reds bring Senzel up when he's currently blocked at 2B and 3B?  The Reds aren't going to be competitive this year, even with Senzel in the lineup, so no point in rushing him to the bigs. If he continues to hit and makes progress with his defense at 2B, they'll bring him up after the All-Star break when Scooter is traded.

Edited by Tayne

My bad, I wasn't suggesting they bring him up. I can see how it read that way. I just took the opportunity to bash the reds organization. I know my post brought no value to the thread. Just venting. 

For what its worth, he's playing shortstop tonight at AAA (and has homered and stole a base for good measure)

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

For what its worth, he's playing shortstop tonight at AAA (and has homered and stole a base for good measure)

Worth a lot - it's without question the quickest path he has to the majors if he can get comfortable at the position. The organization has spoken of trying to just get him comfortable in general after the vertigo bout before trying to shift him around the diamond. Hopefully this is a sign they're ready to have him take the next step.

• Like 1

I mean what’s best case scenario for a call up here? Even if starts playing SS every day, are we still looking at August? Maybe July?

No I think his call up will be in like 10-14 days.  He doesn't have to become a SS expert.  Just needed to get re-acclimated.  So yes Ron Paul it is happening!!!!

On 6/15/2018 at 12:47 PM, Devildog83 said:

To be clear.... who is "so good" that the Reds traded away exactly... I think they've been drafting pretty well these last couple years and finding a couple Scooter Gennett types. They're not one of the closer teams to a legitimate run, but I don't hate a lot of what they've done the last few years. 

6 hours ago, wh3931110 said:

I mean what’s best case scenario for a call up here? Even if starts playing SS every day, are we still looking at August? Maybe July?

It's the reds so I will say June 2020

3 hours ago, taobball said:

To be clear.... who is "so good" that the Reds traded away exactly... I think they've been drafting pretty well these last couple years and finding a couple Scooter Gennett types. They're not one of the closer teams to a legitimate run, but I don't hate a lot of what they've done the last few years. 

The only major mistake the Reds have made was rushing to trade Chapman as soon as the domestic abuse allegations came to light.  I don't think they even have any prospects left in the organization from that trade, while the Yankees got Gleyber and then resigned Chapman again.  The recent draft picks have led to some intriguing prospects, the Suarez trade was a robbery, and like you mentioned, the Scooter pickup has worked out as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayne said:

The only major mistake the Reds have made was rushing to trade Chapman as soon as the domestic abuse allegations came to light.  I don't think they even have any prospects left in the organization from that trade, while the Yankees got Gleyber and then resigned Chapman again.  The recent draft picks have led to some intriguing prospects, the Suarez trade was a robbery, and like you mentioned, the Scooter pickup has worked out as well.  

Excellent point on the Chapman thing. They certainly let the Yankees out play the market on that one. 

1 hour ago, Tayne said:

Excellent point on the Chapman thing. They certainly let the Yankees out play the market on that one. 

Senzel leaves yard twice for Louisville

Top Reds prospect batting. 440 since moving to top of the lineup

By Gerard Gilberto / MiLB.com | June 21, 2018 9:46 PM ET

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wh3931110 said:

He needs to be called up...

Unfortunately, they continue to give him reps at 2B, with only one game at SS since his return from injury. He remains blocked by Suarez at 3B and Gennett at 2B (who can't move off 2B right now due to arm issues). Unless they can trade Gennett or move Senzel to SS full time, he remains in a holding pattern. The GM has already been quoted as saying he will not call Senzel up until he has a place to play full time.

6 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Unfortunately, they continue to give him reps at 2B, with only one game at SS since his return from injury. He remains blocked by Suarez at 3B and Gennett at 2B (who can't move off 2B right now due to arm issues). Unless they can trade Gennett or move Senzel to SS full time, he remains in a holding pattern. The GM has already been quoted as saying he will not call Senzel up until he has a place to play full time.

Yeah but I think he does. Suarez has played SS before and it's not really as if losing games is going to kill this team. Is the Senzel--Suarez--Schoop infield really that unsatisfactory for them? Because I'd be creaming for that as a rebuilding team. Three potentially excellent hitters and RRL to boot. Add Votto and you get RRLL. 

I hope they're not just completely sold on moving off Schoop especially if they can hold him for the long term. That's why I really don't like this line of thinking I think. Because it implies that Suarez or Schoop WILL be moved in the future. I don't think they should do that. To either. 

Oh and I mean... barely mentioned Votto in the infield equation. This Reds infield has a potential to be... realistically well above average... like WELL above average... NEXT year. Schoop might legitimately be a top 5 second baseman. Suarez is also having another great campaign and has been building his skill set. Senzel is considered the most talented of the 3 and Votto was second in the MVP vote last year. I don't think they should move Schoop or Suarez to make it happen. At least not right away. 

Edited by taobball