Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axe Elf

Axe Elf's Giant FleaFlicker League

Since someone here has been pimping the FleaFlicker site as a great free league hosting site--and since I have never used it before--I used the "League Finder Service" forum to find a free league I could use to try out the FleaFlicker features.  This one sounded like fun because it's going to run 640 players deep.  Yeah, 640 players--and none of them are Kickers or Defenses!  (But a bunch of them are IDPs.)

There are 16 teams of 40 players each.  There are 20 starting slots (1 QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 3 DL, 3 LB, 4 DB, 1 DL/LB/DB) and 20 bench slots.  There are also 3 separate IR slots--so that's the potential of 48 MORE players being rostered as the injuries begin to take their toll.  There is a blind bidding process for waivers.  If I'm reading the rules right, any and all players may be kept without penalty from one year to the next, but dropping players opens up roster slots to participate in the annual rookie (and free agent) draft.

Scoring is QB heavy PPR, with solid points for return stats:

1 pt per 20 pass yards

1 pt per 10 rush/rec/return yards

6 pts per pass/rush/rec/return TD

2 pts per pass/rush/rec 2pt conversion

1 pt per reception

-2 pts per INT

-1 pt per FUM

-1 pt per FUM LOST

DL

3 pts per solo tackle

3 pts per 2 assisted tackles (1.5 per)

LB, DB

3 pts per 2 solo tackles (1.5 per)

1 pt per assisted tackle

DL, LB, DB

4 pts per SACK

6 pts per INT

3 pts per FUM FORCED

3 pts per FUM RECOVERY

6 pts per SAFETY

8 pts per DEF TD

5 pts per kick/punt BLOCK

3 pts per 2 PASS DEFENDED (1.5 per)

8 pts per CONV RETURN

So I don't usually worry too much about IDPs, because there are usually more than enough quality options available on the waiver wire, but with 16 teams each starting 11 IDPs, it might make them a little more significant.  Still, I don't really plan on drafting a lot of them before the final rounds of the draft, unless some of the more obvious studs fall way down the line--but there are almost always noobs who are willing to reach for the "name" IDPs starting around the 7th or 8th round, so I probly won't have to worry about that happening.

Also, with 16 teams and the QB-favorable scoring, I figure several teams are going to be reaching for the "name" QBs by the third or fourth round too--but as usual, I'm willing to wait a while for a QB or two.  Nay, with 16 teams each able to start up to 5 WRs in a PPR league, I think that WRs are the name of this game.  I should plan to select them three ways--early, often, and continuously, even as the other teams begin to scramble for QBs and IDPs.  It should be noted that the return points made Jarvis Landry the 4th-highest overall scorer (non-QB) in the league last season--ahead of Hopkins and Beckham--and Tyler Lockett was #8 among WRs, so I will have to keep my eye on them in the second or third round.  I don't think that Landry will be as involved in the return game as he was last year, but Lockett should be--and he would be an excellent dynasty pick as well.

Did I mention that it was a snake draft?  Yeah, I hate that part.  I wish it was an auction, but I guess I will have to make do.  To make matters worse, it's a SLOW (email) draft, with 12 hours per draft pick.  640 players?  That's, uh, 320 days, if everyone takes their full clock.  We might be done in time for the 2017 season...  I drew the #3 overall draft slot, which was pretty fortuitous--with 16 teams, I'm guaranteed one of the holy trinity of WRs to start my assault on the PPR limits of this league.

So the draft started this evening, and we were off like a herd of turtles, with about 6 hours elapsing before the first team made their pick.  And after all that suspense and excitement and strategy and planning, the #1 overall pick came down through the email...

Wait for it...

Derek Carr.

Yep.  Derek Carr.

I literally burst out laughing.

Pick #2 was made within five minutes--of course--Antonio Brown--which left me with Julio Jones.  The only bad thing about that is that the guy who was gifted Brown is also in my 4-team division.  Sigh.

1.4 is on the clock; stay tuned...

As far as the Fleaflicker site itself, my first impressions are that it is not particularly visually appealing, and it seems a little clunky in navigation and utility.  On the plus side, I like that you can see new site activity, including message board posts, at a glance in the menu bar at the top of the page.  More reviews to come as I am led to use more of the features.

You'll come around soon enough. The site itself is a little clunky. The absence of a mobile app is made up by having a very well put together mobile page.

Can't believe the Carr pick. 

Maybe it was Derek Carr, himself.  If his second pick is Crabtree, you will know for sure.  My guess is Cooper will be gone before pick #32.

640 players at 12 hrs a piece....    Sounds awful

Let us know next year when your team is assembled

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

640 players at 12 hrs a piece....    Sounds awful

Let us know next year when your team is assembled

Agonizing.  I made my 1.3 pick just over 12 hours ago now, and 1.4 still has not picked.  They should be timing out shortly.  Ugh.

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

Agonizing.  I made my 1.3 pick just over 12 hours ago now, and 1.4 still has not picked.  They should be timing out shortly.  Ugh.

This isn't good. Most of the times its the early picks that go fast and later picks take forever. I like email drafts because it allows in draft trade picks but this size of a league, bring it to 8 hours. 

Just now, ajlynema said:

This isn't good. Most of the times its the early picks that go fast and later picks take forever. I like email drafts because it allows in draft trade picks but this size of a league, bring it to 8 hours. 

Yeah, the problem is that there are international members (at least two from Australia, I dunno about other continents), so the clock has to accommodate wildly incongruous work/sleep schedules.

The fact that FleaFlicker software does not allow you to "pre-draft" two or three players as your pick approaches to speed up the draft is rapidly becoming a major problem, at least for leagues that use a slow draft.  It also seems to be a problem that the software does not auto-pick for an owner that times out.  I guess we have to wait on the commish to make the pick for him or something.

So far, I'm not too impressed with the site.

That seems strange. I've never done a email draft though. 

So the Commish finally picked for the guy who timed out--Todd Gurley.  Merry Christmas to 1.5, who inherits Odell Beckham, Jr.  1.6, a team named "Gronktastic," somewhat surprisingly went with Bell over Gronk.  So we are moving now--and I am off to my Saturday auction draft doubleheader.  See y'all in six hours or so...

1.01 Derek Carr

1.02 Antonio Brown

1.03 Julio Jones

1.04 Todd Gurley

1.05 Odell Beckham, Jr.

1.06 Le'Veon Bell

1.07 On the clock.

7 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

1.01 Derek Carr

1.02 Antonio Brown

1.03 Julio Jones

1.04 Todd Gurley

1.05 Odell Beckham, Jr.

1.06 Le'Veon Bell

1.07 On the clock.

And the laughs just keep on comin'...

1.01 Derek Carr

1.02 Antonio Brown

1.03 Julio Jones

1.04 Todd Gurley

1.05 Odell Beckham, Jr.

1.06 Le'Veon Bell

1.07 DeAndre Hopkins

1.08 Allen Robinson

1.09 Mike Evans  ::: giggle :::

1.10 Andrew Luck  BAHAHAHAHAHA!!

1.11 Rob Gronkowski

1.12 Amari Cooper  (seriously?)

By the way, we can trade draft picks in this league too, and I just noticed that the guy who just took Amari Cooper had also traded up to get Odell Beckham, Jr.

He traded his 2nd and 4th round picks this year (#21 and #53), in addition to his 2017 1st round pick, to get the #5 overall pick this year, and the other guy's 2017 3rd round pick.  And then he blew it on Amari Cooper?  If he'd just kept his picks, he could have something like A.J. Green or Dez Bryant (both still available), plus probly still get Amari Cooper with his original 2nd round pick (#21 overall).

So the net effect of all this is that he traded his 2016 4th round pick, his 2017 first round pick, AND Green/Bryant for OBJ and a 2017 3rd round pick.

Sometimes this game is just too easy.

1.01 Derek Carr

1.02 Antonio Brown

1.03 Julio Jones

1.04 Todd Gurley

1.05 Odell Beckham, Jr.

1.06 Le'Veon Bell

1.07 DeAndre Hopkins

1.08 Allen Robinson

1.09 Mike Evans

1.10 Andrew Luck

1.11 Rob Gronkowski

1.12 Amari Cooper

1.13 Dez Bryant

1.14 Ezekiel Elliott

1.15 Cam Newton

1.16 A.J. Green

2.01 Sammy Watkins

2.02 Brandin Cooks

2.03 Alshon Jeffery

2.04 Keenan Allen

2.05 On the clock--this is one of the Australians, so we're probly done until sometime this evening.

I've been having a little exchange with the guy who took Carr #1 overall (him in quotes)

hey i took a qb atleast i didnt take some lame a** rb or wr. my way of drafting has never failed me so im all good hell i could of went defense first but every time i leave carr for 2-3rd round he gets taken away

Has "never" failed you--in your extensive 2 years experience of drafting with your friends and their wives? Well buckle up buttercup; you're about to get a hard lesson in REAL fantasy football.

sure sure keep talking im sorry its not like i knew about fleaflicker way back lol. and seems like no much of a lesson ill learn from the buttercup himself but nice try   

let me know when julio jones gets a quarterback thats actually good for once tho lol

Why, so you can draft him #1 overall?

Ok, here's your first lesson. This is a 16 team league, so we'll be starting 16 QBs each week. The average total points of the top 16 QBs last year was 408.95. Derek Carr was 13th among QBs, totaling 374.15. So you took the HUGE advantage of having the #1 overall pick in a 16 team league, and turned it into a -34.80 point disadvantage at the QB position, just because you love the Raiders.

The average of the top 16 WRs last year was 301.71. Julio Jones, with his terrible QB, was 2nd among WRs, scoring 382.10 points (more than your QB!). So I turned my #3 overall pick into a +80.39 point advantage at the WR position.

This game is about scoring more fantasy points than your opponents, not just jumping up and down when your favorite player scores on the field.

yawn  already knew this

Oh, so you INTENTIONALLY put yourself at a disadvantage with the #1 overall pick just to make us all THINK you were an idiot!

You sly devil, you...

2.01 Sammy Watkins

2.02 Brandin Cooks

2.03 Alshon Jeffery

2.04 Keenan Allen (paired with Dez, nice start)

2.05 David Johnson (His first pick of the draft, due to trading away 1.05.)

2.06 Kelvin Benjamin

2.07 J.J. Watt  We have our first IDP sighting!  He pairs Watt with Luck--no WR so far in a PPR league?

2.08 Randall Cobb  (This is the first pick of the draft for THIS team, due to trading 1.07.)

2.09 Jarvis Landry  (In fairness, he WAS the 4th-highest scoring non-QB in this system last year, due to return yardage; will he still get that in 2016?)

2.10 T.Y. Hilton  (Same team that just took Cobb--two of my least-favorite WRs.)

2.11 Adrian Peterson  (Paired him with Le'Veon Bell, again, no WR so far in a PPR league--but at least he has a couple of stud RBs for now.)

2.12 Devonta Freeman (The guy who took Carr #1 overall traded in here to get Freeman.)

2.14 ME

Damn, this is gonna be a tough choice.  I think if Jordy Nelson survives one more pick, he's the no-brainer.  His 2014 stats would have made him the #5 overall (non-QB) scorer in this league last season.  But since the guy picking before me appears to know what he's doing (he took OBJ after I got Julio in Round 1), I'm not holding my breath.

That means I will probly have the choice of Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin, or Brandon Marshall with this pick, and maybe one of them plus Carlos Hyde and Golden Tate for my choices at 3.03 around the corner.  I can't really see myself taking two RBs, but it's really hard to pass on Charles, despite his age, when his 2015 stats prorated to 16 games would have made HIM the #5 overall (non-QB) scorer in this league last season.  However, it's really kind of hard to get excited about Brandon Marshall or Golden Tate at this point, either.  It seems like a huge dropoff from one of the two players with top-5 overall potential.

The wild card here is Tyler Lockett, who, by virtue of the return yardage scoring, was this league's #9 overall (non-QB) scorer last season.  He's a fresh young guy who would be great for a dynasty league like this one, and assuming he keeps his kick/punt return duties while improving as a WR, he could really be a secret weapon.  The question is, do I pounce on him now, or play it straight this time around and hope he makes it back to me at pick 4.14 (#62 overall)?

If I can come away with Jordy and Charles, that's probly the best-case scenario, but I have to strongly consider Lockett with Charles as a fall-back option.

Oh wait, nevermind, the guy picking before me is NOT the guy who drafted OBJ, it's the guy who timed out, and the Commish gave him Gurley.  So if he makes his own pick here, maybe I have a chance, but if he times out again, the Commish almost HAS to give him Nelson, and I'm screwed!

12 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Oh wait, nevermind, the guy picking before me is NOT the guy who drafted OBJ, it's the guy who timed out, and the Commish gave him Gurley.  So if he makes his own pick here, maybe I have a chance, but if he times out again, the Commish almost HAS to give him Nelson, and I'm screwed!

BOOM!

The guy did indeed time out again, and the Commish gave him the highest-rated player left on the board--and that was Lamar Miller!  YAY!  So Mr. 12 Hour Time Out starts with Gurley and Miller, and I start with Julio and Jordy in a 16 team PPR league.  If I can get Jamaal around the corner, I'm changing my name to "Rolling Js"...

Rats; Jamaal Charles went with the next pick.

2.01 Sammy Watkins

2.02 Brandin Cooks

2.03 Alshon Jeffery

2.04 Keenan Allen

2.05 David Johnson

2.06 Kelvin Benjamin

2.07 J.J. Watt

2.08 Randall Cobb

2.09 Jarvis Landry

2.10 T.Y. Hilton

2.11 Adrian Peterson

2.12 Devonta Freeman

2.13 Lamar Miller

2.14 Jordy Nelson

2.15 Jamaal Charles  (To the team with Antonio Brown, tough pair there.)

2.16 Demaryius Thomas  (By trade, to the team whose first pick was David Johnson at 2.05.)

3.01 Brandon Marshall  (The #1 overall pick now has Derek Carr, Devonta Freeman and Marshall.)

3.02 Aaron Rodgers  (Aha!  The guy with Brown and Charles falls into the QB trap; the first ***** in his armor!)

3.03 ME

So now I'm facing a sizeable siesta from pick #35 overall to pick #62 overall, so I better make this one count.  I'm not considering any QBs or TEs.

At WR I'm looking at Tate, Edelman or Lockett; Tate and Edelman will almost certainly be gone by my next pick.  Do I trust that NONE of the intervening 13 owners are going to look at the scoring totals from last year and realize that Lockett was the #9 overall (non-QB) scorer in the league?

At RB, there's Doug Martin or Carlos Hyde; Martin won't make it back to me--Hyde might?  RB seems to be a position that is slipping, because of being able to start 5 WRs, and because of the scoring settings.  Heck, for being a top 5 RB last season, even in PPR, Doug Martin was only the #29 overall (non-QB) scorer in this league with 232.3 points.  Even if I have to drop down to a pair like Frank Gore and Rashad Jennings as my starters, I would only lose 40 points with Gore, and 60 points with Jennings.  Danny Woodhead scored MORE than Martin last year (though I wouldn't want to have to start him every week in a managed league), but with guys like Dion Lewis out there who might get overlooked, I feel like I have a pretty good chance to survive another round at RB without losing too much--especially with all the random IDPs, QBs, and generally dumb picks thrown in.  For that matter, Darren Friggin' Sproles scored 22 points less than Martin last year.

So I'm picking up a 3rd WR.  I'm a little skeptical of Edelman this year, but Tate has been a frequent target of mine.  However, with these scoring settings, can I afford to risk passing on Lockett?  He scored 287.5 points in this system last year.  Although it's hard to say what Tate will score in his new #1 role, Larry Fitzgerald was the next-highest WR from last year who is available at 280.5 points--but he's probly on his way out and not a good dynasty pick.  Doug Baldwin is next with 267.9--20 points less than Lockett--and he may not be able to replicate those numbers again either.  Taking Calvin Johnson out of the standings, it's only 3 more players (Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin and Emmanuel Sanders) down to Michael Crabtree at 233.2--54 points less than Lockett!

It just seems like Lockett can do nothing but improve as a receiver in the years to come, as he's only a 2nd year player, and as long as he keeps his kick/punt return job (and he's definitely one of the best in the league at that), he's probly going to continue to be a top 10 scorer in this league for years to come.

So I pulled the trigger.

1.03 Julio Jones

2.14 Jordy Nelson

3.03 Tyler Lockett

It looks a little funny, but there's a really good chance that I now have 3 of the top 10 scorers in this 16 team league after three picks.

I like lockett but he would have come back to you on next round or two even 

Just now, Bartos said:

I like lockett but he would have come back to you on next round or two even 

Maybe.  That's the question I struggled with.  However, with people drafting Derek Carr and JJ Watt in the first couple of rounds, the usual predictability isn't really there--and with 13 guys making 2 picks each before I draft again, I can't even be sure that someone who knows what they are doing wouldn't look at the scoring from last season and make the same judgment that I did--and it only takes one.

Locking down 3 of the league's top 10 scorers can't be a BAD decision, in any case.

Yeah with that format and the picks thus far I understand.  It will be interesting to see the picks between this and your next 

I was just looking at the distribution of draft picks across the four divisions.  Theoretically, my division should be the toughest in the league, since we hold four of the first six draft slots, 2, 3 (me), 4 and 6.

There is another division that has the idiot with the #1 pick, plus slots 13, 14, and 15.  You may not even need a winning record to win THAT division.  lol

Second-hardest would probly be the one with 5, 7, 9 and 10, with the last division holding slots 8, 11, 12 and 16.

I guess this might provide some objective evidence to settle the question of whether it is best to draft from the beginning of the draft order, the end of the draft order, or the middle of the draft order.

(Of course, the BEST strategy--from whatever position--is to draft like Axe Elf.)

2 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

3.01 Brandon Marshall  (The #1 overall pick now has Derek Carr, Devonta Freeman and Marshall.)

3.02 Aaron Rodgers  (Aha!  The guy with Brown and Charles falls into the QB trap; the first ***** in his armor!)

3.03 ME

LOL!

I just noticed that I'm not allowed to say ch-ink!

That's deSPICable!