Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axe Elf

Axe Elf's Giant FleaFlicker League

Must get some pretty hefty bonuses for special teams if Lockett was #9 and outscored Baldwin.  

This league gets more absurd with every story!   

11 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Must get some pretty hefty bonuses for special teams if Lockett was #9 and outscored Baldwin.  

This league gets more absurd with every story!   

Well, not "bonuses" per se, but individual players get credit for their kick/punt return TDs, as well as 1 pt per 10 return yards.

I got a new story about the excitement we had this afternoon...

So that guy who timed out twice and we'd never heard a peep out of him was on the clock again, and after about six hours the Commish just asked if any of us had a friend that might want to take his place.

I said that I wouldn't want to spank a friend the way I was taking this league out behind the woodshed.

The Mouth with Derek Carr decided to jeer my recent pick of Lockett, so I had to explain that he was a young player, dynasty league, #9 scorer, blah blah blah that I outlined above.

Just then the commish deleted the old owner, added a new owner, and went to restart the draft--but he RESTARTED THE DRAFT!  All the picks were cleared!  So the commish posts, "Vote Time.  We can either 1) start the draft again from scratch, or 2) start the draft again, but force everyone to take the same players."  The new guy, of course, wants to start over.  So do one or two others.

I'm like freaking out.  What?  I just educated the league on the value of Tyler Lockett, and now you want to give everyone a chance to take him before I can get him back?  What if Mr. #1 decides that he doesn't want to take the 13th-best QB with the overall #1 this time?  No, you're the Commish, you can go through and manually enter the first 35 picks or so exactly the way we made them.  Fortunately, even though the draft was cleared, the rosters remained intact with the players we had taken, so it really only took the Commish about 15 minutes to go through and reconstruct the draft up to the point he had suspended it, once he realized he could do that, but man, I was about to go ballistic.

So here's what we got done in the third round today...

3.01 Brandon Marshall

3.02 Aaron Rodgers

3.03 Tyler Lockett

3.04 Kevin White (This is the new guy, taking over Gurley and Miller.)

3.05 Golden Tate (The Commish, with David Johnson and Demaryius Thomas.)

3.06 Donte Moncrief (The first WR for the team with Bell and Peterson.)

3.07 DeVante Parker (Tripling up WRs with Cobb and Hilton.)

At this point, I'm thinking this is awesome--I got my 3rd WR, and the run on WRs is still going, so the RBs are getting pushed further and further back, hopefully back around to me in the 4th!

3.08 Mark Ingram  (Uh oh.  And a good value too, to go with Robinson and Landry--the #4 WR last year due to the return yardage.)

3.09 Carlos Hyde (DAMMIT!  He goes with Hopkins and Evans.)

3.10 Luke Kuechly (LOL!  This team now has Andrew Luck, J.J. Watt, and Luke Kuechly.  At least two of the best IDPs in the league went to a team that can't possibly be a contender, so they're kind of taken out of commission.)

And that's where we sit tonight.

I know it was a long shot that Hyde would have made it back around to me, but I was hoping...  Doug Martin is still on the board, but fat chance he makes it back to me.  Now I'm hoping that maybe Dion Lewis comes back around.  I also have to look harder at Ameer Abdullah, since he's still listed as the Lions' kick returner--and he's another young guy who could maybe grow into a more traditional PPR RB role over time.  In fact, Abdullah scored just 5 points less than Martin in this scoring system last year--so I may be looking at a Lewis/Abdullah turn (if I don't get sucked into taking Delanie Walker with one of those picks).  I also like Sproles, who scored about 20 points less than Martin in this system last year--but surely I can wait another coupla rounds on him.

Other notable RBs still on the board now are Anderson, Langford, Lacy, Forte, McCoy, Rawls, the Murrays, Woodhead, Gore, Jennings, Stewart, Jones, Bernard, Foster, Gordon, Mathews, Ajayi and Duke/Crowell--so I'm not running low on options yet.  Langford/Abdullah sounds pretty good too--but not as likely as Lewis/Abdullah--yet if I could get Langford and then Howard later, I would probly have the Bears' young RB locked up for a few years.

Possibilities, possibilities...

I'm assuming by lack of update that the league has folded 

Nah, it's just taken all day to get through all the picks before I'm even close to being up again.  They're at 4.9 now; I'm 4.14.  I'll see if I can summarize here in the next couple of hours.

1 minute ago, Axe Elf said:

Nah, it's just taken all day to get through all the picks before I'm even close to being up again.  They're at 4.9 now; I'm 4.14.  I'll see if I can summarize here in the next couple of hours.

Nice because these updates are just like watching a train wreck unfold here in real time lol

Just now, Bartos said:

Nice because these updates are just like watching a train wreck unfold here in real time lol

Yeah, but at least I own the scrap metal company.

3.01 Brandon Marshall

3.02 Aaron Rodgers

3.03 Tyler Lockett

3.04 Kevin White

3.05 Golden Tate

3.06 Donte Moncrief

3.07 DeVante Parker

3.08 Mark Ingram

3.09 Carlos Hyde

3.10 Luke Kuechly

3.11 Eddie Lacy (1st RB for Gronk/Benjamin team.)

3.12 Doug Martin (Amazing drop for Martin; Merry Christmas to the guy who hasn't picked since he got both OBJ and Amari Cooper in the first round!)

3.13 Giovani Bernard (The Dez Bryant/Keenan Allen team needed a RB, but with McCoy, Anderson, Forte, Lewis, Rawls and Langford still on the board--among others--Gio seems like a really questionable pick here.)

3.14 Michael Floyd (Elliott, Jeffery, Floyd; not bad.)

3.15 John Brown (Cam and Cooks; I guess he's going for youth, since there are probly a few other WRs I would take there.)

3.16 Jordan Matthews (Joins the AJ Green/Sammy Watkins duo; gotta go RB around the turn now, right?)

4.01 Russell Wilson (lol)  Man, he's taking "zero RB" just a little too literally.  I thought I was being risky waiting until pick #62 for a RB, but it's going to be pick #80 before this team has a chance at one now.

4.02 Travis Kelce (BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Jordan Reed, Greg Olsen, Delanie Walker, Coby Fleener... heard of any of these guys?)  Now this team is waiting for a RB until at least pick #79 too.  Oh well, more for me!

4.03 LeSean McCoy (Finally.  But will there be 2 more starting WRs for this team now, after just Jeffery and Floyd until pick #78?)

4.04 Doug Baldwin (The Rodgers/Charles/Brown owner traded in to get Baldwin here.)

4.05 Jeremy Maclin (Maclin goes to the wheelin'/dealin' commish, who already has David Johnson, Demaryius Thomas and Donte Moncrief--and who will make his own Round 4 pick--his fifth pick overall--before I make my fourth.  Essentially this wraps up a trade in which he sent OBJ and a 2017 3rd for David Johnson, Jeremy Maclin, and a 2017 1st.  That was a hell of a deal for the commish.)

4.06 Julian Edelman (Eh.  It's hard to catch up in a 16 team league when you take Gronk in the 1st--but I don't know if I'd look to a teammate of his to do it.)

4.07 Corey Coleman (Was a little surprised to see him go this early, but maybe I shouldn't be, in a dynasty startup.  At least the Luck/Watt/Kuechly team din't take another IDP!)

4.08 Melvin Gordon (Another baffler, with Anderson, Forte, Lewis, Rawls and Langford still available.  This concludes a trade in which this team essentially gave DeAndre Hopkins and a 2017 3rd for Randall Cobb, Melvin Gordon and a 2017 1st--I'm not sure he got all he could have had with his 2-for-1 picks.)

4.09 On the clock.

4.14 ME

So we've been sitting here for the last four or five hours, with five picks to go before I can select a RB.  I LIKE CJ Anderson a lot this year, but I'm not sure he's the best pick for a dynasty PPR league.  If I can get Booker later, it might work out ok.  Dion Lewis has a lot of PPR potential--his 7 game stats from 2015 prorated to 16 games would have made him the #3 RB behind only Devonta Freeman and David Johnson in this scoring system.  But then he's kind of an injury risk--and he doesn't even really have a clear handcuff that could step in with the same kind of guaranteed production.

The one that makes my insides tingle the most is Jeremy Langford, who could be a beast in this PPR system too, and has another young RB as a backup in Howard for me to get later.  Langford scored more last season than C.J. Anderson did--both in limited playing time--and he was only about 15 points behind Jonathan Stewart.  If he does emerge as the lead back, he could easily add 80 points to his total from last season, which would put him on par with Ameer Abdullah as two of the three or four highest-scoring options remaining at the RB position--and a top 10 RB in this system overall.

Dare I dream of a Langford/Abdullah turn?

Langford, Anderson, Lewis, Rawls, Forte--that may be my order of preference for a dynasty PPR.  With two of the intervening five teams already having 2 RBs and two more having 1 RB, I will PROBABLY get one of those this round, and then I'll hope for Abdullah around the turn.  I was thinking my emergency pick would probly be Rawls, since Forte is getting pretty old--but with all this talk about Crowell digging his own grave, I have to think Duke Johnson becomes a pretty attractive PPR dynasty pick in this area too.

The only other guy I'm still considering is Delanie Walker; the guy is a PPR beast.  Based on last year's scores, Walker is currently the 4th-highest scoring non-QB remaining--and the other three are all likely to drop a little in 2016 (Fitzgerald, Decker and Woodhead).  But heck, with all the TEs still on the board except for Gronk and Kelce, I might get away with waiting another round and still snag Walker or Fleener.  I dunno...

I'm definitely not going with a 4th WR here.  We're pretty much into the "dime-a-dozen" stage, where the ones that have been good scorers in the past (Fitzgerald, Decker, Sanders) are either getting old or might not be so great this year, and I can probly do about as well speculating on a rookie WR like Treadwell, Doctson, Boyd or Fuller in the rounds to come.  It makes me feel even better about locking up Lockett with my pick in the 3rd.  Besides, even guys like Danny Amendola and Dwayne Harris are sitting in the top dozen remaining scorers from last year, due to their return duties--so I may be going with one of them at the 6/7 turn.  I may not be able to wait TOO much longer on a QB--and if I don't get a TE this time around, I'll probly need to address that at the next turn as well.  Hopefully the QB situation will wait until the 8/9 turn, but if a big QB run starts in the 6th, I may have to put off the TE instead.  We'll see.

Tick tock..

Well, after that long wait, Blake Bortles and Laquon Treadwell just went at 4.09 and 4.10, leaving only three picks before me--and two of the three teams already having 2 RBs!

I'm giddy!

And then the next two picks went quickly after I posted that last update--Allen Hurns and Josh Reed--leaving me just ONE PICK AWAY with ALL those RBs still on the board (and the one team ahead of me already had 2 RBs).  And then he must have gone to bed, because we were stuck on 4.13 for 9 hours.  Great.  We kicked out one guy who was taking hours and hours to draft and replaced him with another guy who was taking hours and hours to make his pick.  Then finally the word came down--Dorial Green-Beckham.

4.01 Russell Wilson

4.02 Travis Kelce

4.03 LeSean McCoy

4.04 Doug Baldwin

4.05 Jeremy Maclin

4.06 Julian Edelman

4.07 Corey Coleman

4.08 Melvin Gordon

4.09 Blake Bortles

4.10 Laquon Treadwell (team now has 4 WRs and Melvin Gordon)

4.11 Allen Hurns

4.12 Jordan Reed (the Commish's 5th player as well)

4.13 Dorial Green-Beckham

4.14 ME

The one good thing about the 9 hour wait was that it gave me time to think and research.  I was pretty much narrowed down to C.J. Anderson, Jeremy Langford, and Dion Lewis--I was almost hoping that at least one of them WOULD be taken to make my decision easier.  After a lot of thought, I concluded that both Anderson and Langford could end up in a kind of a committee situation, if not this year, then maybe next.  Lewis really doesn't have any competition for his job, as long as he stays healthy--and I think he has a higher ceiling than the others in this scoring system too, since he was on pace through 7 games to be the league's #3 RB last season.  So I drafted Dion Lewis.

4.14 Dion Lewis

4.15 Emmanuel Sanders (I really thought this guy might go RB too, since he only had Gio Bernard to go with Dez and Keenan, but Sanders it is.)

4.16 Jameis Winston

And then it went from funny to hilarious.  I mean really.  As it dawned on me what had just happened, I could not believe what I was seeing.  The next pick was Jameis Winston.  Ok, a terrible pick in its own right, of course, but this is the same team that had selected Derek Carr #1 overall!  This team has now made four picks--and two of them are QBs who are not even among the top 10 at their own position!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh man, you just can't make this stuff up.

5.01 Willie Snead (Now he has Devonta Freeman, Brandon Marshall and Willie Snead as his only non-QB players.)

5.02 Tavon Austin (Antonio Brown, Doug Baldwin, Tavon Austin--boy that went downhill fast.  But he also has Aaron Rodgers and Jamaal Charles, so we'll see.)

5.03 ME

I was surprised that no more RBs went around the corner, leaving Anderson and Langford still staring me in the face at 5.03.  But I had pretty much already decided I was going to do this when I decided on Lewis as my 4th round pick, and so I stuck to my guns.  It's a little like the Lockett pick, in that it looks somewhat questionable from a traditional perspective, but given the scoring for return yardage, you have to think of this as a player who posted 25 receptions, 1,857 yards and 3 TDs as a rookie.  That would have scored 227.7 points and made him the #8 RB in 2015.  Like Lockett, you have to think that he stands to improve on his rushing yardage in his second season, and who probably won't relinquish his kick return duties, since he averaged 29.1 yards per return last season.  Both he and Lockett are just starting their careers, and are therefore perfect for a dynasty league startup draft.  I now have potentially 5 of the top 15 (or at least top 20) scorers for 2016 in this 16-team league--Dion Lewis, Ameer Abdullah, Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson, Tyler Lockett.

5.03 Ameer Abdullah

5.04 Josh Doctson

5.05 Thomas Rawls

5.06 Marcus Mariota

5.07 Khalil Mack

5.08 Sterling Shepard

5.09 C.J. Anderson (Finally!  He goes to the team that has Hyde too; a man after my own heart.)

5.10 Tyler Eifert

5.11 Latavius Murray

5.12 Ezekiel Ansah

5.13 Lavonte David

5.14 Eric Decker

5.15 Marvin Jones

5.16 On the clock.

And that brings us up to speed.

Derek Carr and Jameis Winston..

I honestly rank your Abdullah pick on par with his jameis pick, I like the Lewis move I wished you would have followed with Langford.  Wow Mariota off the board too, interesting choices to say the least 

2 hours ago, Bartos said:

I honestly rank your Abdullah pick on par with his jameis pick, I like the Lewis move I wished you would have followed with Langford.  Wow Mariota off the board too, interesting choices to say the least 

Seriously?  You think taking last year's #8 RB, who was a rookie and has Joique Bell out of the way now, is a bad pick at #67 overall?  As bad as taking like the 15th overall QB when guys like Brees, Cousins, Tannehill, Rivers, Ryan, Taylor, Brady and Stafford are still available--as your QB2 in the 4th round??

I can't help you man.

In the commish's defense, if he waddling the editing on mobile page, it is kind of jumbled and easy to mess up. But at least he did the right thing. This league is entertaining to watch. You are definitely building a team for this year but it's not like you are completely disregarding the future. If I were you, try to package your non first round picks next year and move back up. I bet you could get two more picks in the 5th/6th this year for guys who won't start for you next year. 

These guys are laughable.

Well, I guess "Captain Quarterback" is the commish's special buddy or something, and since he got his widdle feewings hurt from the big bad Axe Elf laughing at him so much, the commish kicked me out of the league without so much as a warning, and replaced me with "Tyler Durden," also from right here at RotoWorld.  If this was a money league, I'd be a lot more pissed, because this league seems like easy pickin's, but since it was just a free league, I don't really mind all that much.  I mainly joined just to see how the FleaFlicker platform compared to the big boys like MFL, Yahoo and ESPN, and in that sense, I pretty much got what I needed (I don't think it's anywhere as good as any of those).

So at least a RotoWorld member is still going to dominate this league for years to come (assuming Tyler doesn't go screwing it up from this point forward).  The team is four picks away from their 6.14 pick, and then four more to the 7.03 pick, with Jeremy Langford, Michael Crabtree and Delanie Walker still on the board.  I am hoping he will get two of those three, in the preference order that I listed them.

That league is full of idiots so you're better off anyway 

7 minutes ago, Bartos said:

That league is full of idiots so you're better off anyway 

Yeah and they just booted their king :D:ph34r:

And Durden screwed the pooch taking Olsen at 6.14.  Now he's up at 7.03.  Crabtree was taken 7.01.  He could have had Langford and Walker.  Now it's Olsen, and HOPEFULLY still Langford.

Yay!  He got Langford.  Too bad it wasn't Walker instead of Olsen, but oh well.

Axe, give it up buddy, they booted you. You're not going to be able to micromanage this team by DMing me every time a pick is up telling me why to pick this or that. If it makes you feel any better, I thought I was getting a different team- I'm not trying to implode your perfect creation (?)

Abdulluh

Lewis

Julio

Jordy

Lockett

were the picks when I took over. I read through your analysis, understand the thought process with Lockett in the 3rd as its a return league, I get it. I'm not entirely sure that Greg Olsen in the sixth (which I consider to be good value, but I'm no fantasy football expert) is really "screwing the pooch". I also don't think passing on Crabtree was damaging to the outcome of this team.

Langford in the 7th I'm okay with as I need RB depth. We can agree on that. 

I think you're outlook on IDP players needs to be adjusted as your compared them to kickers to me in passing; in an IDP setting with one or two maybe, in a setting where one rosters an entire defense- "cmon man". There's a huge difference between some schmuck on the wire week to week and a good LB, like Telvin Smith who I would of happily taken over Langford had he been there (taken one pick before me).

In summary: I put my big boy pants on today and I think I'd like to handle it from here without anymore Axevice. Feel free to continue critiquing on this thread though as I'm sure you will. 

I wouldn't want you in my league either, Axe. Your goal in fantasy football is the same as in poker... to win, not scare away the fish or teach them to be better. In a league you're playing in you don't criticize a player for picking Carr, you tell him nice pick, and pretend to be jealous you didn't pick him first overall. Don't tap the glass, noob.

3 hours ago, Coprolagnia said:

I wouldn't want you in my league either, Axe. Your goal in fantasy football is the same as in poker... to win, not scare away the fish or teach them to be better. In a league you're playing in you don't criticize a player for picking Carr, you tell him nice pick, and pretend to be jealous you didn't pick him first overall. Don't tap the glass, noob.

I just prefer a higher level of competition.

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm not entirely sure that Greg Olsen in the sixth (which I consider to be good value, but I'm no fantasy football expert) is really "screwing the pooch". I also don't think passing on Crabtree was damaging to the outcome of this team.

That's only because you haven't really looked at what WRs remain for a WR4 from here.  You could have had four of the top 20 WRs with Crabtree, but there are NO more WRs on the board who promise to be in the top 20--not even Larry Fitzgerald, who is a terrible pick in a dynasty startup anyway, as he probly doesn't even have ONE more solid year left.  Maybe DeSean Jackson?  After that, you're either going for a WR with return capabilities like Danny Amendola or Dwayne Harris, or taking a shot on a rookie like Thomas, Boyd or Fuller.

With a little thought, I probly would have even taken Crabtree in the 6th, knowing that Captain QB was a Raiders' fan (Derek Carr #1 overall) and Crabtree was never going to get past him.  Then you'd still have Langford in the 7th, and the TE can wait.

But yeah, since you took a TE, you took the wrong one.  Delanie Walker is the #2 PPR TE next to Gronk, and was the 4th-highest scoring non-QB remaining at the time you picked, behind Fitzgerald, Megatron and Woodhead.  Olsen is likely to lose some red zone business this year, and every year hereafter, with the return of Kelvin Benjamin.

As for the IDPs, if you're even considering taking an IDP at this point in the draft, then may God have mercy upon your soul, because it will be the death of your team--the one I handed you on a silver platter set up for Championships over the next five years, at least.  There are ALWAYS competitive IDPs available on waivers.  Drafting them early is like drafting 11 kickers early.

It takes a special kind of personality to get kicked out of a free league. Just, wow. Sadly, it's not all that surprising. It's a shame too, because sometimes there's some good info to be had. But again, when a prostate exam from Capt. Hook is more pleasant than interacting with the person, the information gets lost in the noise.

Well, if you draft Derek Carr #1 overall and then three rounds later you draft Jameis Winston, you should expect to experience a certain level of discomfort.