Jake the snake

Myles Turner 2016-2017 Season Outlook

So will Turner be the breakout guy this year on the pacers?

As long as he can stay injury free I think he will have a huge year and am targeting him in all leagues:

I don't think the following split is out of the question:

FG%_FT%_3PM_PTS_REB_AST_BLK_STL_TO

.500   .750   0.3   12.5   6.8   0.8   1.7   0.5   1.3

Those are some serious numbers and I think there is quite a lot of upside beyond that. Where would you be targeting him? I'd think I'd start looking late 4th or into 5th round?

round 5, if still available of 6 i think he will be a bargain. i see him as a serge ibaka with better offense if he takes the next step

I'm not too optimistic about his season outlook as a starter. Look at the other players he's going to spend most of his minutes with on the court: Jeff Teague, Monta Ellis, PG, Thad Young. Turner is the most inexperienced player in the presumed starting five. The other four are most likely going to be ahead of him in the number of shots taken. He could be a cheap source of blocks but other than that I'm not all that excited about his prospects.

I watched some of the US aelecr and saw a block on D Cuz in the scrimmage. Pretty elite skill that should keep him on the floor at least. But yeah this year should be about blocks and a learning experience. I think his breakout should come next year with 2 playoff runs and playing with winners in his corner.

This year shouldnt be bad though, just decent with low chance of upside.

Lots of new players, new coach. Says he's gonna play a bit of PF beside Big Al. I really enjoyed owning him last year from the FA pool, but I don't think I'll be targeting him in the draft. Maybe if he falls to the late, later rounds, but it's really easy to find 10/6/1.5 for cheaper than a 6th round (top 80) pick

14 hours ago, tongs said:

Lots of new players, new coach. Says he's gonna play a bit of PF beside Big Al. I really enjoyed owning him last year from the FA pool, but I don't think I'll be targeting him in the draft. Maybe if he falls to the late, later rounds, but it's really easy to find 10/6/1.5 for cheaper than a 6th round (top 80) pick

I could be wrong but I predict better than 10/6/1.5. And his %s are good, low TOs, great glue guy and a massive upside. As we saw in the playoffs the Pacers are moving away from Monta and all the others are willing passers. Turner has good hustle to contribute on defense and great timing on blocked shots. I expect a few threes. Type of player I love...still targeting

All fair points... I think it'll depend again on where his ADP is obviously (you knew that comment was coming eventually) and I'm also a huge fan of him as well considering how much of a surprise he was last year.

I see serviceable numbers + upside with potential injuries to Big Al for more PT + a thin frontcourt otherwise void of Thaddeus/Big Al. I say around RD 7-9 seems decent for him but I bet he might be snagged in your draft earlier just based on name value

Edited by Tr3yball

There are some tweaks to my league's settings that differ from standard leagues, so it changes my judgement a bit. 

I remember that besides KAT he was the only rookie I had any interest in.. I definitely wouldn't mind owning him, just wouldn't reach. It's tough because every starter could arguably be the 3rd-5th option on any given night

One of the knocks against him was probably the low number of rebounds. His FG% was also not relatively amazing and is due mainly to taking jumpers, which will not truly unlock value until he takes that sweet jumper to 3pt range. These are 2 things that may boost his value if he shows us in his summer/preseason debut. I watched 2 days of summer league and I don't think he took a 3.

People who are "reaching" are assuming he has that in his arsenal, which is an unnecessary risk really but is a bad habit for fantasy hoops managers.

Just listened to the Second-Year Player Podcast. They're thinking Turner plays the majority of his minutes at C.. I don't think he can work on his long range jumpers as their main center

That wouldn't be a surprise. But if he shoots better on less attempts his FG% could seem more helpful than it really is

1 minute ago, rob0403 said:

Slightly better Fg% with more Reb's and Blocks then? Probably less scoring.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

Is it just me or did he get bigger over the summer?

Certainly more impressive than the Embid video - shooting (and still missing quite a few) jumpers on no-body

the kid is a straight out beast. If you watched him play against the raptors esp. late in the series you could see him learning and developing on the spot and he was the only player other than George (and a little Solo Hill) that gave the Raps trouble.

he definitely looks bigger there, if it is because of smaller competition or he just got bigger, I don't know. Anyhow, that video just solidifies that this guy has Aldridge upside on offense. He can post up and hit face up jumpers. and can be Ibaka on defense. Even if he gets 28-30 mpg nightly, he is sure to make impact without hurting you in FT% like other PF/Centers

Watched the kid a lot last year. Oozes talent. Can shoot, can bang, good percentages, blocks, potential for 3's, he's got a passion for the game and obviously wants to get better. I think he emerges as the second best player on the team this year (ahead of Teague). The frustrating thing about him last year is he would have 2 or 3 amazing games and then just dissappear. Also really faded down the stretch last year as well. Not sure how much his conditioning from his early season injury recovery had to do with that. Reminds me a bit of Brolo. Low rebounds but everything else is there. He averaged 10-5 at 25 min a game last year so I think 13-7 with 2 blocks a game and good percentages is a conservative floor if he can play over 30 min a game this year. 

He looks bigger because the camera angle in that video is much lower (the floor) than what you typically see in NBA games

I am going to target Myles in the back end of the draft if I still need a big man.  He's got a lot of potential and even if he doesn't work out, he will provide blocks if given the minutes, which are a commodity in low supply at the end of drafts, and therefore have trade value. 

2 hours ago, jay14bay said:

He looks bigger because the camera angle in that video is much lower (the floor) than what you typically see in NBA games

I am going to target Myles in the back end of the draft if I still need a big man.  He's got a lot of potential and even if he doesn't work out, he will provide blocks if given the minutes, which are a commodity in low supply at the end of drafts, and therefore have trade value. 

you will be lucky if you can draft him pass round 7. i think he will go 5-6 range

On 7/29/2016 at 5:49 PM, sya said:

you will be lucky if you can draft him pass round 7. i think he will go 5-6 range

Personally feel like there's better at mid rounds for big men still tbh and if not there's usually a good replacement as a G/F spot elsewhere.

Can't think of any off the top of my head atm tho, lol

Edited by Tr3yball

Too many ball dominant ball handlers on that team for him to even break 12 point average. Teague, Ellis, and George are gonna take 85% of the shots. Maybe 10 points 7 rebounds 1 assists 1.5 block enough for late round value.

15 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Too many ball dominant ball handlers on that team for him to even break 12 point average. Teague, Ellis, and George are gonna take 85% of the shots. Maybe 10 points 7 rebounds 1 assists 1.5 block enough for late round value.

I think you're all underestimating how good he is in the pick and pop (and even pick and roll) situation and if you have a steady guy who can knock those down with potential to expand his range on good %s and really good blocks then that is massively valuable. Ellis is a spent force, he is going to fade out this season. He is losing his quick, which is all he ever had

Turner is a late round pick for me.  I just don't know how that situation is going to shake out.    Add in Thaddeus Young and you've got a lot of mouths to feed in that offense.  The blocks are for real but I worry about his scoring and rebounding... he only had 7 games with 10 or more rebounds (and 3 of those came against LAL, BKN and PHI).  He'll get his pick and pop moments, but so will Thad.  

He should average more than 1.3 blk. Thats what he got last season. When he started at center, he averaged almost twce that amount. I think he'll average about 2 blocks a game. 

I don't follow Thad's game but I don't think he is the pick and roll guy? If so that helps Turner.