Jake the snake

Myles Turner 2016-2017 Season Outlook

Still Thad is another guy who will be getting called for more shots before turner. Turner is definitely the 5th option on that team so I dont really see more than 10+ point average.

I'd expect nothing more than 10-7-2, good percents.

Sounds like Rob Lopez on Portland as the 5th scoring option but younger

1 hour ago, tongs said:

I'd expect nothing more than 10-7-2, good percents.

Sounds like Rob Lopez on Portland as the 5th scoring option but younger

I think your PTS and REB projections are reasonable, except his overall ceiling is way higher than Lopez (in the event of injuries, etc) and even without any movement he has the potential to be an elite shot blocker, this season.  Maybe 2.5+ BLK

3 hours ago, jay14bay said:

I think your PTS and REB projections are reasonable, except his overall ceiling is way higher than Lopez (in the event of injuries, etc) and even without any movement he has the potential to be an elite shot blocker, this season.  Maybe 2.5+ BLK

Agreed. With youth comes upside, but personally I'd temper the blocks expectation. Just to value him at let's say round 7/8 so if he somehow slips to 9/10 it would be a great value. 

If I expect 2.5 blks with almost no holes in his game, that's like the situation in whhich we expected of Ibaka a few years ago as an early second rounder

1 hour ago, tongs said:

Agreed. With youth comes upside, but personally I'd temper the blocks expectation. Just to value him at let's say round 7/8 so if he somehow slips to 9/10 it would be a great value. 

If I expect 2.5 blks with almost no holes in his game, that's like the situation in whhich we expected of Ibaka a few years ago as an early second rounder

lol thats what we all expected rudy gobert to last season smh

1 minute ago, Ganandorf said:

lol thats what we all expected rudy gobert to last season smh

I never understood the Gobert hype last season. People were taking this guy in the first round and he's only strong in REB/BLK/FG (and TOs). Weak in PTS,3s, AST, STL and especially FT. That one never made sense to me.

1 hour ago, v1n5anity said:

I never understood the Gobert hype last season. People were taking this guy in the first round and he's only strong in REB/BLK/FG (and TOs). Weak in PTS,3s, AST, STL and especially FT. That one never made sense to me.

i think it was because people believed he would be what hassan whiteside was last season. Beasting in blocks and rebounds and while at the same time not owning in too much in FT's with decent FG. Unfortunately that never came about.

2 minutes ago, Ganandorf said:

i think it was because people believed he would be what hassan whiteside was last season. Beasting in blocks and rebounds and while at the same time not owning in too much in FT's with decent FG. Unfortunately that never came about.

But even Whiteside was pretty much better across the board in terms of per-36 numbers, and he was not going in the first round or early second round, which made the whole thing even more confusing.

1 hour ago, v1n5anity said:

Can we blame StifleTower and his reign of terror here on the forum last summer for that?

Punt assists FTW :ph34r:

I like the Ibaka comp actually. I project Myles Turner as basically Ibaka * 0.75 of all stats.

Paul George and Monta jack up like 20 shots per game in addition to adding Teague Big Al and Thad? oh boy

there's a huge difference, Gobert was being drafted in round 2 last year. Turner on the other hand is being discussed rounds 5-7/8. I think if you can draft him at round 6 he is a good pick, 7 onwards can be considered a steal. Bigs who can dominate blocks and not hurt you in FT% is a dying breed. Even if he averages just 10ppg, he can still make major fantay impact. and if he can get 13-15ppg, that is cherry on top

9 hours ago, v1n5anity said:

But even Whiteside was pretty much better across the board in terms of per-36 numbers, and he was not going in the first round or early second round, which made the whole thing even more confusing.

I was a believer in Gobert, and in my defense Whiteside's FT% made an incredible jump midway though the season, as I watched Gobert's value just hit rock bottom.

4 hours ago, sya said:

there's a huge difference, Gobert was being drafted in round 2 last year. Turner on the other hand is being discussed rounds 5-7/8. I think if you can draft him at round 6 he is a good pick, 7 onwards can be considered a steal. Bigs who can dominate blocks and not hurt you in FT% is a dying breed. Even if he averages just 10ppg, he can still make major fantay impact. and if he can get 13-15ppg, that is cherry on top

In H2H, I think you'd have to build a nice core to have a luxury pick of Turner at the 6th, considering his contribution to assists, 3PM and steals are almost non-existent compared to other players around pick #75-ish. That's around the area I'd look for 3/D glue guys.. But looking at players available at C around that area, after Valanciunas, Dieng, Noel, there's not really many players that don't kill a category for you.

Perhaps if he can average more than 9 FG attempts and keep his ~.500, he can gain much more value due to his efficiency. We'll see how it plays out, I'd love to own him as a mid-round value of an early-late pick.

38 minutes ago, tongs said:

I was a believer in Gobert, and in my defense Whiteside's FT% made an incredible jump midway though the season, as I watched Gobert's value just hit rock bottom.

In H2H, I think you'd have to build a nice core to have a luxury pick of Turner at the 6th, considering his contribution to assists, 3PM and steals are almost non-existent compared to other players around pick #75-ish. That's around the area I'd look for 3/D glue guys.. But looking at players available at C around that area, after Valanciunas, Dieng, Noel, there's not really many players that don't kill a category for you.

Perhaps if he can average more than 9 FG attempts and keep his ~.500, he can gain much more value due to his efficiency. We'll see how it plays out, I'd love to own him as a mid-round value of an early-late pick.

I would actually take Turner over those 3 guys.

1) JV is basically a 3 / 4 cat guy. FG%, FT%, TO, Rebs. Pts is so so, blcosk is also so so for a Center. As long as Casey is the coach there, JV will have a hard time getting to the next level.

2) Noel- if you look at 76ers blogs/forums, most of them believe Noel is the odd man out in Philly. They see a line-up of Embiid and Okafor at PF/C (provided Embiid can stay healthy of course). Noel is good when he is playing, but I think PT will be a rollercoaster ride.

3) Dieng is ok, as long as Thibs decides that he is the starter at PF, because with thibs you know whoever the starter is, they will get huge minutes. But I can see the argument for him.

I've seen Turner in action quite a number of times esp in last year's playoffs, they his select team highlights. THis is the kind of guy that doesn't need the ball in his hands for you to feel his presence on the court. He runs up and down like a SF, soars for blocks like Ibaka, and mid-range jumpers are considered elite for his size and position. While Thad and Monta might take away shots from Myles, it won't take long for Myles to establish himself as the clear number 2 there with PG.

15 minutes ago, sya said:

I would actually take Turner over those 3 guys.

1) JV is basically a 3 / 4 cat guy. FG%, FT%, TO, Rebs. Pts is so so, blcosk is also so so for a Center. As long as Casey is the coach there, JV will have a hard time getting to the next level.

2) Noel- if you look at 76ers blogs/forums, most of them believe Noel is the odd man out in Philly. They see a line-up of Embiid and Okafor at PF/C (provided Embiid can stay healthy of course). Noel is good when he is playing, but I think PT will be a rollercoaster ride.

3) Dieng is ok, as long as Thibs decides that he is the starter at PF, because with thibs you know whoever the starter is, they will get huge minutes. But I can see the argument for him.

I've seen Turner in action quite a number of times esp in last year's playoffs, they his select team highlights. THis is the kind of guy that doesn't need the ball in his hands for you to feel his presence on the court. He runs up and down like a SF, soars for blocks like Ibaka, and mid-range jumpers are considered elite for his size and position. While Thad and Monta might take away shots from Myles, it won't take long for Myles to establish himself as the clear number 2 there with PG.

Yeah, I guess Noel's out of the question until he gets traded. I'm on the fence with JV vs Turner though..

Their assists, steals, TO are basically a wash, but JV's got a big edge on both percentages and a bit more rebounds. I'd probably give the points cat to JV as well but not by much.. On the flip side, I'd put Turner over JV in block by a maximum 1.5 blocks per game.. is it worth it? JV is still trending upwards, and I'd say they both have upside.

One thing I do like is the possibility of Turner playing a few minutes at the 4 with Big Al, on the second unit. He'd have a great opportunity to let loose with that unit.

6 minutes ago, tongs said:

Yeah, I guess Noel's out of the question until he gets traded. I'm on the fence with JV vs Turner though..

Their assists, steals, TO are basically a wash, but JV's got a big edge on both percentages and a bit more rebounds. I'd probably give the points cat to JV as well but not by much.. On the flip side, I'd put Turner over JV in block by a maximum 1.5 blocks per game.. is it worth it? JV is still trending upwards, and I'd say they both have upside.

One thing I do like is the possibility of Turner playing a few minutes at the 4 with Big Al, on the second unit. He'd have a great opportunity to let loose with that unit.

I agree with all these, I guess what this means is I believe Turner and JV are in the same tier. Noel I am not a fan of the situation. Embiid, Okafor, Simmons, and don't forget Saric who is also a SF/PF hybrid. And from what I've read 76ers fans believe Simmons-Embiid-Okafor-Saric are part of their future, and Noel isn't. Whether he gets traded to a better situation is anyone's guess.

Between JV and Turner, maybe I am a bitter JV owner, but I've been burned by JV so many times before. As a previous multiple times JV owner, it is so frustrating to watch this guy esp on stat-tracker or live stats. He gives you a very good first quarter, sits then returns in 2nd half already or with only a few minutes left in the 1st half. Same story with 2nd half, he is lucky to get 4 mins in 4th quarters.

4 hours ago, sya said:

I agree with all these, I guess what this means is I believe Turner and JV are in the same tier. Noel I am not a fan of the situation. Embiid, Okafor, Simmons, and don't forget Saric who is also a SF/PF hybrid. And from what I've read 76ers fans believe Simmons-Embiid-Okafor-Saric are part of their future, and Noel isn't. Whether he gets traded to a better situation is anyone's guess.

Between JV and Turner, maybe I am a bitter JV owner, but I've been burned by JV so many times before. As a previous multiple times JV owner, it is so frustrating to watch this guy esp on stat-tracker or live stats. He gives you a very good first quarter, sits then returns in 2nd half already or with only a few minutes left in the 1st half. Same story with 2nd half, he is lucky to get 4 mins in 4th quarters.

Not to get off track in a Myles Turner thread but Noel not viewed as part of the future is not a knock on his skills. It's partly because he is about to get paid the earliest out of the 4 and 76ers want to take a chance with Embiid being able to do the same thing.

Noel is a higher tier than JV with in a punt FT H2H format with his steals. Both Noel and JV should be higher or at least same as Turner in other formats.

He lost a lot of minutes over the second half of the season... from 30+ every night down to the low 20's by seasons end.

Seems he was given a solid chance to grab minutes from Manimi, JHill and Lavoy Allen and he couldnt keep them....for whatever reason.

I really like what I have seen from Turner when he is on the floor, but its this stuff I cant really explain that is holding me back a bit. Thad and Al Jeff are better bigs than any competition he had last year.

11 minutes ago, jsquints said:

He lost a lot of minutes over the second half of the season... from 30+ every night down to the low 20's by seasons end.

Seems he was given a solid chance to grab minutes from Manimi, JHill and Lavoy Allen and he couldnt keep them....for whatever reason.

I really like what I have seen from Turner when he is on the floor, but its this stuff I cant really explain that is holding me back a bit. Thad and Al Jeff are better bigs than any competition he had last year.

He was a rookie last year. Its always inconsistent. I think he will level out and I'd expect a big 2nd half as he has much more talent than any of the other Indiana bigs and it will show once his confidence builds further. He was really impressive against the raps; like i said earlier one of the only players other than george that stood tall in that series. I also think he will knock down some threes this season. That shot is just too good for him not to fade into the corners, especially with teague, george and ellis driving. They need floor spacing and he is a great guy to provide that and suck bigs away from the rim.

On JV I think he is in for a big year. He isn't going to have Biyombo stealing minutes in the 4th, he has trimmed down a little, which will help greatly with his foot speed and movement on both ends as well as running the floor and general fitness. He took some huge strides in the playoffs, I'd expect that to continue and also watch for a uptick in blocks (i think he trends up towards 2 blks/game). Rumours he might take a couple 3s as well. 

I wouldn't expect Turner to start draining 3s this year. It might be a bit too early, and wouldn't they need him down low? 

It would be really unfortunate if he were to become another sub .500 fg big because of stretching the floor

12 hours ago, sya said:

Bigs who can dominate blocks and not hurt you in FT% is a dying breed.

maybe we have different views on dominate blks but there are alot more than you may think

unless you expecting Turner in the Whitside/Dj 2+blks a night

KAT

AD (should improve from last)

PAU

Marc

Porzingus

Millsap

Horford

Ibaka

Brolo

Rolo

Turner

and even whiteside shot 75% 2nd half and boogie shot 78% 1.7blk two years ago so he has the ability

Edited by colepenhagen

13 minutes ago, tongs said:

I wouldn't expect Turner to start draining 3s this year. It might be a bit too early, and wouldn't they need him down low? 

It would be really unfortunate if he were to become another sub .500 fg big because of stretching the floor

Just by taking 1-2 threes per game doesn't mean a Fg% hit. He is a REALLY good shooter, I just expect him to fade into the corners from time to time and he can easily drain them from there. Doesn't take away from his pick and roll/pick and pop game. I totally don't expect them to park him on the wings, but iI think he will be asked to move out from time to time to clear space. I think his 3s per game will be 0.3-0.7 (potentially as high a 1 if it really works, but doubt that)

A lot of players in NBA are talking about Turner, that he is a Lamarcus Aldridge with defense. I'm really high on him, can see averages of 14 pts, 8,5 reb and 2,8 blk

6 hours ago, Hooligans said:

A lot of players in NBA are talking about Turner, that he is a Lamarcus Aldridge with defense. I'm really high on him, can see averages of 14 pts, 8,5 reb and 2,8 blk

If you assume he maintains his percentages you're talking first/second round value

7 hours ago, Hooligans said:

i know that you made this up because no nba player would make that comparison. they are nothing alike, turner is super athletic, aldridge is not he just has great moves and a great midrange game. turner is a shot blocker, aldridge lucky to average 1 blk a game.... turner is not gonna get 2.8 blks per game tho thats insane. 

14 and 8.5 is realistic tho and maybe 1.8 blocks-2 blocks