Sign in to follow this  
JenksDodger

Thomas Szapucki, SP NYM

6'2 starter out of the Mets org that was drafted in the 5th round in 2015.. Still a long ways away but one to watch. 

Has absolutely dominated the APP league and has started off great in the NYP league. Has struck out 8+ batters in 6 out of his 7 starts.. 

Obviously a short-sample, but I'm starting to believe there is something here.. 

3-2, .44 ERA, 41.1IP, 65K's, .152 average against, .85 WHIP.. 

Quotes from Keith Law: 

Kurts: In a top 200 prospect list, off the top of your, about where would Szapucki rank?
Klaw: He’s probably going to end up on the top 100 this winter although I haven’t done any real work beyond the top 50 or so yet.

Anonymous: What is your scouting report on Thomas Szapucki?
Klaw: He’s 92-96 with a plus curveball. I’m glad they started him off slowly but if he keeps missing bats like this they’ll have to move him up to challenge him and develop his command.

Derek: What’s Tohomas Szapucki’s realistic upside? Any chance you’ll be stopping by Bkln to see the loaded Cyclones team?
Klaw: Might be #2 starter upside. Not sure I’ll get up there as I have been spending most of my free time working on my book.

Not a KLaw fan, but certainly interesting to say the least.. 

A few from BA: 

Tom (NY): Can you please rattle off a few Mets pitching prospects that the fans can start to focus on? Szapucki is getting a lot of attention this year, Dunn was just a top pick and Molina showed promise before getting TJS - is there anyone else to look for? Thank you for taking the question
Matt Eddy: One place to check for answers to questions like this is our recent Midseason Prospect Update series. In the Mets edition, I singled out Kingsport LHP Thomas Szapucki and Brooklyn RHP Merandy Gonzalez, who can reach the mid-90s and flash two plus secondary pitches, as two of the system’s four rising prospects.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-july-29/#4cmQOFXzWCTfwzMI.99

Alex (CT): Is Szapucki making waves at BA headquarters? His numbers are very pressure
Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: He’s getting noticed. Josh Norris saw him recently: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/szapcuki-impresses-kingsport-2/#tTgY8Ly2mU0mU7Rx.97
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-july-22/#JHR3f1C3H1Pz1Eld.99

I just added him and will continue to monitor going forward. 

Edited by JenksDodger

Good post on Szapucki, it does look like he's making waves, did a quick Google search on him and it was reported that the Reds wanted him as part of jay bruce deal.

Struck out 11 tonight in 5.1IP 

Final line: 5.1IP, 1H, 2ER, 4BB, 11K's 

That makes 4 double digit K nights in 8 starts.. 

Hype train will be rolling soon. 

2 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Struck out 11 tonight in 5.1IP 

Final line: 5.1IP, 1H, 2ER, 4BB, 11K's 

That makes 4 double digit K nights in 8 starts.. 

Hype train will be rolling soon. 

i was there at the game he pitched tonight. he looked really good had a no hitter thru 4 innings with just 2 walks and maybe one ball that left the infield. we left in the 5th inning but liked what i saw from him

He has really risen in the minds of evaluators. Might be the pop up guy this year. I missed out already, shucks.

Some more good stuff from the BP chat on Friday..

Craig (Ooh Ah): Tell me about Thomas Szapucki. Next big Mets pitching prospect?

Jeffrey Paternostro: Okay, now the actual report. Jarrett Seidler covered most of this is the Ten Pack earlier this week, but the cliff notes: Big fastball, touched 97 early and was 93-95 for most of the start, can cut or run. Bores 95 on the hands of righties. Curve and change are rough, but flashed late in the start. You could go a future 6/5 if you really liked it (I really liked it). The mechanics are a bit unorthodox, and there is a lot of effort in the stretch, but the arm action itself is fine and the velocity is easy. Reminded Jarrett of Niese in the delivery, I saw some Ollie there as well (Mets fans hate that comp, but Perez was a monster when he first came up) Szapucki's raw, but the upside here is huge. He'll make the 101, and I suspect that's not the only national list he'll be on.

Danny (Chi Town): NEXT BIG prospect nobody is talking about?

Jeffrey Paternostro: Well, it's Szapucki, though he is going to get talked about more now that he is in Brooklyn, where more people can actually see him. (I love Kingsport, but I am one of the few loons willing to make that drive every year). He won't quite have Anderson Espinoza's helium, but it is that kind of pop-up guy.

Jason (NY): Does Szapucki remind you of Matz circa 2012-2013 in Kingsport and Savannah? Similar bodies, live arms, ++ velo for lefties, lots of life but command and secondaries still a little unpolished. Upside wise, what would you rate Szapucki?

Jeffrey Paternostro: Not an awful comp. Szapucki was younger, rawer, but less scary medicals. Matz's delivery was better even then. Similar upside, similar risk, different risk profiles. I was way too low on Matz coming out of Kingsport, but he got shut down (again) and I didn't see it live.

Not yet but in my Scoresheet league he is out there and I will be on him.

Acuna, Soto, Sanchez, Morejon are others I'll be on. Because they were traded to the NL, Brinson and Espinosa are out there as well and I will try to grab them early.

2 hours ago, accudart said:

Not yet but in my Scoresheet league he is out there and I will be on him.

Acuna, Soto, Sanchez, Morejon are others I'll be on. Because they were traded to the NL, Brinson and Espinosa are out there as well and I will try to grab them early.

If guys like Brinson, Espinoza, Acuna etc are out there.. I personally wouldn't worry about Szapucki.. He's years away and doesn't have the upside of those guys. 

1 hour ago, JenksDodger said:

If guys like Brinson, Espinoza, Acuna etc are out there.. I personally wouldn't worry about Szapucki.. He's years away and doesn't have the upside of those guys. 

I think he's saying they're only available because it's NL only and they were just traded to the NL. So they wouldn't normally be available

2 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

I think he's saying they're only available because it's NL only and they were just traded to the NL. So they wouldn't normally be available

Yeah, I understand..What I'm saying though.. is if there are players with the upside of Acuna or Soto, (whomever it may be - even if it's the guys who were just dealt) are probably a better prospect to bet on.. I'm high on Szapucki but see his ceiling as a top tier #3 maybe he gets to a #2.. Guys like Acuna/Soto/Brinson have the capabilities to be fantasy all-stars.. 

Doing a 3 year rebuild and going to grab as many as I can but totally agree. It is why a NL league only and that is why they are available. In our format it's way costly to protect but only the big names and if they are closer even better. I'm just going all in on building with prospects. 

Left his last start with forearm discomfort then placed on the DL.  Usually not a good sign, especially for a kid that had shoulder impingement earlier this year.   Anyone have an update?

Apparently he's going to have Tommy John surgery. Yikes. What is with the Mets and their pitchers?

23 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Apparently he's going to have Tommy John surgery. Yikes. What is with the Mets and their pitchers?

My theory is their coaching and medical staffs -- at all levels -- are composed of space aliens wanting to experiment on human arms for some reason.

Holy bump, batman.  I click on the thread, as I’m always intrigued by Polish guys, and I see August 2016.  Been a long time since I rock and rolled!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1