Savatage79

Snake vs Auction Drafting - Pick Your Poison

Lol no I've done a few in between,  but I just wasn't a fan starting with that one because I wanted Tomlinson or Alexander and the price Jack ups were insane and didn't get either and he won anyways. 

Not saying it like I did it once,  just that was the first time and I did probably 2 or 3 since sporadically and it still just doesn't float my boat 

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

Lol no I've done a few in between,  but I just wasn't a fan starting with that one because I wanted Tomlinson or Alexander and the price Jack ups were insane and didn't get either and he won anyways. 

Not saying it like I did it once,  just that was the first time and I did probably 2 or 3 since sporadically and it still just doesn't float my boat 

At least you gave it a shot.

I'll probably try one at some point when I find a good group of people to do a league

Oh yea I'll always give things a shot hah I think if the guys I played with wanted to go auction I'd be more willing to try it steadily a few seasons but they all are snake drafters. 

If I were to do it tho I would do it in the new RW I formed up as that might be the experimental league.  Like I'm not a fan of 2 QB leagues but might try it next year with that league,  so maybe if they ever wanted to do an auction we could.  But I probably wouldn't do it in any of my larger cash leagues 

1 hour ago, Savatage79 said:

See here's a breakdown for me.  Im ok with not just having who I want every year.  That's why I do 3 to 5 leagues to have a chance at some players.

Like I love that it forces me to grab other players.  

That's an issue people have talked about in reference to having a lot of leagues.  If you do multiple leagues with snake drafts, you end up rooting for and against almost all of your players at the same time.  I can see where that wouldn't be any fun.

I'm probly going to have something close to 70-75 leagues this season (although about 50 of them will be Draft Masters), and other than a few random misfits here and there, the core of all of my teams is going to be largely the same--because most of them are auction leagues where I can get most of the same players.

So among QBs, I'm basically rooting for Stafford, Cousins, Tannehill, and to a lesser extent, some Flacco and Alex Smith.  At RB, I'll have a lot of stock in Carlos Hyde, CJ Anderson, Frank Gore, Rashad Jennings, and to a lesser extent, Doug Martin, Jeremy Langford, Dion Lewis and Isaiah Crowell.  My WRs are usually some combination of Allen Robinson, Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Keenan Allen, Golden Tate, DeVante Parker, Michael Floyd and Michael Crabtree, with some high upside role players like Tavon Austin, Dorial Green-Beckham and Corey Coleman sprinkled in.  At TE I'm heavily invested in Walker, Fleener, Eifert and Ertz, although I do tend to get a wider variety of TEs, especially in my DMS, than the other positions.

Anyway, the point being that auctioning makes it easier to still root for a corp group of players, rather than rooting for and against every one, if you do a lot of drafts.

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I'm just saying, it's true that most owners walk out of an auction draft generally more satisfied with what they ended up with, while in snake, more owners will generally walk out ready to deal this piece or that piece for some value that they perceive that maybe another owner doesn't.

To me, one isn't necessarily more fun than the other. It's the owners, their knowledge, their willingness to deal and take chances, etc. that make it fun, or not. It's pretty clear though, if you're in a league with a bunch of guys that are easy to beat, then they're going to get beat regardless of the draft format.

That's because everyone thinks they got a deal when they pick who they want...

Whether they did or not.

17 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Can't say I disagree, I may not have said "pathetic" (you're mean LOL)...but yeah. And btw, anyone can win any league no matter how knowledgeable (or ignorant) or well-studied (or ill-prepared), there is a good bit of luck involved. If that makes someone an "orangutan", well alrighty then. I think it's actually the opposite, any "orangutan" can click on auto-draft and walk away.

Lots of people just do auto draft and seem to have similar odds at winning.  How frustrating is that?

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Lots of people just do auto draft and seem to have similar odds at winning.  How frustrating is that?

right?!

again I'm not saying there's anything wrong either way. some folks really enjoy fantasy sports as a "hobby" or whatever and take it seriously (in a fun way), and it comes down to your league mates, battling them, and applying strategy in so many ways. still luck is involved. We sometimes have to "check" ourselves back into that reality, and realize we're not all geniuses LOL.

So if someone enjoys autodraft and has fun/success, have at it.

And some folks are grinding out rent playing fantasy. So many different approaches/venues/etc.

Everybody love Everybody! :D

Edited by Members_Only_76

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

right?!

again I'm not saying there's anything wrong either way. some folks really enjoy fantasy sports as a "hobby" or whatever and take it seriously (in a fun way), and it comes down to your league mates, battling them, and applying strategy in so many ways. still luck is involved. We sometimes have to "check" ourselves back into that reality, and realize we're not all geniuses LOL.

So if someone enjoys autodraft and has fun/success, have at it.

And some folks are grinding out rent playing fantasy. So many different approaches/venues/etc.

Everybody love Everybody! :D

8 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

That's like saying you prefer doodoo to chocolate, but you've only tried doodoo.

Lmao 

How do you think of this stuff???

1 hour ago, KcChiefs08 said:

Lmao 

How do you think of this stuff???

The ability to make analogies is the foundation of intelligence.

This season I'm going to let auto-draft decide one of my snake teams, and one of my auction teams.  I'm usually in a decent # of leagues, usually 6-10, I want to see how these autodrafted teams compare to ones i draft myself.  

I'll still play the waiver game, and I only do leagues with FAAB waivers, for the record.

Edited by Pernil
cheese curds

18 minutes ago, Pernil said:

This season I'm going to let auto-draft decide one of my snake teams, and one of my auction teams.  I'm usually in a decent # of leagues, usually 6-10, I want to see how these autodrafted teams compare to ones i draft myself.  

I'll still play the waiver game, and I only do leagues with FAAB waivers, for the record.

If you're in an auction league with smart owners and you autodraft, you'll end up with Gronkowski and a bunch of $2-$3 players that they throw out to let the autodraft software fill your team with scrubs.  A snake autodraft will probly work out better for you, especially if you customize your player list beforehand.

I suppose maybe you could turn the tables on the smart owners in the auction, if you are able to adjust player values beforehand too.  Just set every player with a value less than say $6 to $0, and then anyone who nominates a scrub will get stuck with him.  lol

Edited by Axe Elf

Yeah, I wouldn't do the auto auction unless you can preset your values.  You'll end up having three guys for over $50, three QBs and the rest will all be guys under $5.

Yea auto auction sounds awful,  that'd be something Id probably have a nightmare about

On 8/9/2016 at 2:55 PM, Axe Elf said:

That only works when you weren't smart enough to make Plan A BETTER than Plan B.  If you know what you're doing, and you have to go to Plan B, then you're going to be losing to the guy who was able to execute Plan A--and not everyone has the opportunity to do that, based on draft position.

In an auction draft, everyone has the opportunity to execute their Plan A.

If your plan was to get AB and and Jordy, and someone bid $98 for AB with a $100 cap, how exactly are you going to execute your original plan?

It's about being flexible. I think, no matter where I draft, that I am going to end up with the best roster. Period. 

Just like in an auction draft, you know what you're willing to pay for players. 

Do I draft him now, or do I think he's going to come back around? That's a tough decision, just like every other decision. My plan A is to make the correct decisions every time.

The only legitimate argument for one over the other, with as little bias as possible, is being able to get the players you like. I like all the superstars, but I'm not going to get them in either format. This argument is legitimate up to a point, but then it's back to decision making time. 

Edited by JD88

On 8/9/2016 at 7:37 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

As frustrating as having the best team out of the gate in an auction draft and half of them getting injured and missing the season. 

It's called fantasy football. s--- happens.

You paid how much for Luck, Lacy, and Graham last season? 

I haven't seen a whole lot of auto drafted teams do well, even mediocre. Not in my leagues anyway.

1 minute ago, JD88 said:

As frustrating as having the best team out of the gate in an auction draft and half of them getting injured and missing the season. 

It's called fantasy football. s--- happens.

You paid how much for Luck, Lacy, and Graham last season? 

I haven't seen a whole lot of auto drafted teams do well, even mediocre. Not in my leagues anyway.

Fantasy Football, the Joy and Heartbreak.

22 minutes ago, JD88 said:

If your plan was to get AB and and Jordy, and someone bid $98 for AB with a $100 cap, how exactly are you going to execute your original plan?

It's about being flexible. I think, no matter where I draft, that I am going to end up with the best roster. Period. 

Just like in an auction draft, you know what you're willing to pay for players. 

Do I draft him now, or do I think he's going to come back around? That's a tough decision, just like every other decision. My plan A is to make the correct decisions every time.

The only legitimate argument for one over the other, with as little bias as possible, is being able to get the players you like. I like all the superstars, but I'm not going to get them in either format. This argument is legitimate up to a point, but then it's back to decision making time. 

To some extent, but at least in an auction, AB an Jordy can BE your Plan A.  If you have the #5 pick in a snake, you have to start off with Plan B, and then go to Plan C if necessary.  And in an auction, Julio Jones can be your Plan B, whereas with the 5th pick in the draft, he's just not an option, period.

Besides having the opportunity to draft any players you want, within reason, another legitimate argument is the level of engagement in an auction.  You have to constantly pay attention to every pick, instead of being able to go to the bathroom and fix a sandwich before you're on the clock again.

One of the things I enjoy most for auctions is the preparation.  Just today I finished my first draft of player auction values.  I love looking back at past years results and trying to predict this year's values.  This gives me a very good idea of what players I can get before I head into my draft.  Not only do I feel it gives me a slight advantage, it's just fun for me.

So I need help.  We have a 10 team league that has been going on for 23 years.  We've done this league as a snake with 1 keeper each year.  The 1 keeper counts as your first round draft pick.  We want to change to an auction draft, but when we voted, everybody wants to retain a single keeper.  How can we move to an auction draft and still retain 1 keeper?  I suggested we use 80% of average auction value.  So if Leveon Bell's average is $50, the person who has him as a keeper could get him for $40 with no bidding.  Several people think it should be 100% of average value with the thought that you get him without a bidding war and that the top guys almost always go above anyway (I disagree since after all, it is an average).  Any thoughts on the best way to make this change with a single keeper?

auctions are the worst and the best because people become irrational.  I usually take borderline tier1 players while everyone pays through the roof for elite tier1 players; meaning u can have bell and I take hyde-ware-cja, u can take AB I will take AJG+edelman  for close to the same pricing. 

2 hours ago, flerlagek said:

So I need help.  We have a 10 team league that has been going on for 23 years.  We've done this league as a snake with 1 keeper each year.  The 1 keeper counts as your first round draft pick.  We want to change to an auction draft, but when we voted, everybody wants to retain a single keeper.  How can we move to an auction draft and still retain 1 keeper?  I suggested we use 80% of average auction value.  So if Leveon Bell's average is $50, the person who has him as a keeper could get him for $40 with no bidding.  Several people think it should be 100% of average value with the thought that you get him without a bidding war and that the top guys almost always go above anyway (I disagree since after all, it is an average).  Any thoughts on the best way to make this change with a single keeper?

If you guys always use your first round pick as a keeper, then you shouldn't do anything with the auction budget based on players. No budget hit for any of them. Or $20 for all of them, or whatever. If it was all equal before, it should be all equal now. 

I'd kill to do an offline auction draft with Monopoly money.

I "retired" from snake drafts three years ago due to the fact that auctions, IMHO are far superior for many of thereasons listed already.

Last year I unretired as a favor to my father in law and did a snake draft.

I absolutely hated the experience and once again am in snake retirement!