hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

College highlights mean nothing but 6 foot 2 226 4.4 speed seem like something. Granted preseason but no one in Detroit has been better than this guy in limited time, including their only preseason rushing TD and a 96 yard kick off return for a TD. Probably nothing to see here but incase you need a flier. File under interesting.

i like the looks of him so far, has great value in drafts.

Iv been a murray fan, they have kept feeding him even when is YPC were down. But i do feel like they could be getting impatient with him. Volume is there but he just hasn't hit everyones expectations.

Will washington steal away carries? if so, how early will he make significant strides?

1. 1 hour ago, bengals55 said:

Iv been a murray fan, they have kept feeding him even when is YPC were down. But i do feel like they could be getting impatient with him. Volume is there but he just hasn't hit everyones expectations.

Will washington steal away carries? if so, how early will he make significant strides?

If Dwayne Washington steals carries from Lat I'm gonna be supper pissed.

Edited by Matthew

I'd doubt that he steals carries unless something drastic happens.  I think he has a shot of bumping off Ridley who hasn't impressed.  Ameer, Zenner, Riddick are locks.  Ridley, Winn, and Washington are probably battling for one spot, two max.

The kickoff return was his best play, but the running has been meh. 

I think he ends up on the practice squad.

He belongs on the wire for now, unless something changes.  I think Zenner isn't being drafted in most leagues, or if he is, just barely.  This guy is below him, which means he shouldn't be rostered.

1 hour ago, bengals55 said:

That would be DeAndre Washington on the Raiders. 

This is Dwayne and he plays for the Lions. 

16 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

That would be DeAndre Washington on the Raiders. 

This is Dwayne and he plays for the Lions. 

Maybe next time i should read more carefully, sorry boys!

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/08/jim_bob_cooter_were_going_to_g.html

The next step for Washington: Do it against NFL regulars.

He got the bulk of his action in the second half of those games, which means he was facing third- and fourth-stringers. But it seems he'll be getting some more action this week against Baltimore.

"We're going to hand him the ball some more," Cooter said, "and see what he does."

Washington's rise has come out of nowhere. He fell to the seventh round -- and many believed he would not be drafted at all -- primarily because of his fumble issues. He lost the ball on 3.7 percent of his touches in college. 

GM Bob Quinn was drawn to his explosive speed, though, and used Detroit's seventh-round pick on him. But because of his class schedule, the tailback missed all of OTAs.

Washington didn't join the club until minicamp, and when he did, ball security remained an issue. He fumbled the ball and dropped passes during his first days of practice, and he seemed like a long shot at a position that also included Ameer Abdullah, Theo Riddick, Zach Zenner, Stevan Ridley and George Winn.

But the Lions didn't have to wait long to see his game-breaking potential against Pittsburgh, as he outran the Steelers' kick coverage for a 97-yard touchdown.

With Abdullah ranking second in the league last year at kick returner, though, and Golden Tate and TJ Jones back at punt returner (plus Andre Roberts, if he makes the team), the Lions might not have an opening at returner anyway. That hasn't stopped Detroit from trying to figure out where it could fit Washington into the mix.

He worked on pretty much every special team in a variety of roles last week against Cincinnati, and even helped down a punt inside the 5-yard line. (Though he also missed a tackle on punt coverage that resulted in a big return.)

It's clear the Lions are intrigued by their seventh-round pick, and are eager to see more heading into the first round of cuts next week. They'll have to pare the roster from 90 to 75 by 4 p.m. Tuesday, then get to 53 players by 4 p.m. Sept. 3.

"I think he does have talent, which you can see," coach Jim Caldwell said. "Certainly the kickoff return gave you a good idea what he can do. But even then some of the runs he's had in games, in spurts, and also in practice. He's strong and powerful and can make you miss. The 2-point play on the goal line kind of gave you an idea, with the linebacker unblocked and he can sidestep him and get it in the end zone.

"He's got some talent, and I think you'll just see him continue to get better and better."

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

I'm a die hard Washington Husky fan and am really pulling for Dwayne with a new daughter and family. Seems like a great guy. That said, he really underwhelmed in college. Came to UW as a receiver I believe, switched to RB and always lacked the shiftiness needed for that position. More of a straight line speed guy. Didn't run people over really either. Husky fans were a little surprised he came out early and equally surprised when he got drafted. There's talent there but I can't imagine he has any fantasy value this season. If he ends up proving me wrong, all the better. Go Dawgs. 

From what I've seen he isn't shifty, shifty seems like he's gotta wiggle several times a run. What he does seem like is one cut and go...his first td one step in then out and in the end zone. The one he just did tonight stutter step wait for the end block and off to the races. Dion lewis shifty this guy wait wait step right or left gone...he looks strong like he could break a tackle maybe he just hasn't gotten enough run in college to really tell what kind of player he is...either way he looks like he can play right now....but it's only been a handfulof carries...

What's really funny is that I drafted him on accident thinking it was DeAndre Washington.  I corrected the mistake this morning once I realized what I did but now I'm reading all of this and watching his TD highlight hmmm.......prob just keep him on a watch list or stash him in Dynasty to see how this all unfolds.

13 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

What's really funny is that I drafted him on accident thinking it was DeAndre Washington.  I corrected the mistake this morning once I realized what I did but now I'm reading all of this and watching his TD highlight hmmm.......prob just keep him on a watch list or stash him in Dynasty to see how this all unfolds.

Lol, my co-owner did the same in an FFPC draft experts league. He thought it was DeAndre... funny this guy has actually looked good. He's obviously not David Johnson, but has the same David Johnson measurables and converted WR history... good enough upside for a flyer in the 3rd round of a 16-team dynasty.

46 minutes ago, hard1 said:

From what I've seen he isn't shifty, shifty seems like he's gotta wiggle several times a run. What he does seem like is one cut and go...his first td one step in then out and in the end zone. The one he just did tonight stutter step wait for the end block and off to the races. Dion lewis shifty this guy wait wait step right or left gone...he looks strong like he could break a tackle maybe he just hasn't gotten enough run in college to really tell what kind of player he is...either way he looks like he can play right now....but it's only been a handfulof carries...

Spot on. One cut and go. He seems to have nice acceleration and top speed as seen by his TD tonight. 

A RB that dances in the backfield is not what the Lions need in my opinion as the OL isn't good enough for that. Washington is still very raw and needs to work on his pass protection. But if Ameer still struggles, Washington might be the 3 down back the Lions have been looking for. It definitely doesn't look like Zenner will be more than a backup in this league. 

Most likey no fantasy value this season, but worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses. 

Matt Waldman of football guys thinks he's the best raw talent of this year's RB class. Rare size and speed (6 foot 2, 226 lbs, runs a 4.44). Probably worth a flier in 14+ team leagues to see how the Detroit situation plays out. 

Rotoworld update gushing over him.  Seems like a good bet he makes the team.  Will Zenner be surprise cut perhaps?

Surprised there's no chatter on this guy. Zenner, who was supposed to be the "big back" was a healthy scratch Sunday. Washington then goes out and scores a goal-line TD. 

He's likely still a deep league add at this point, but if anything happens to Abdullah/Riddick WATCH OUT. 

Abdullah got hurt.  Something with the foot, which is never good.  Could Dwayne Washington come in and Wally Pipp him?

17 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Abdullah got hurt.  Something with the foot, which is never good.  Could Dwayne Washington come in and Wally Pipp him?

I think so

This is a guy I'd look at that'll be cheaper than Asiata or Whittaker, and might pay dividends. He was already pretty much the short-yardage back in Detroit and I cannot see Riddick playing a feature role without getting injured, which would open it up even further for Washington. I'll wait to hear a bit more about the Abdullah injury though.

I picked him up last week after seeing the goal line TD. Been reading this thread too. Riddick is not built for 15+ carries. Washington is going to have a Week 3. The questions are 1) how big of a role and 2) can you trust him in a flex spot?