hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

I've never been so excited about such a hype train before. 

(Choo Choo member of the Gordon '13, '14 hype train, DJ '15 hype train, JT '13 hype train, and this is the one I'm most excited about.)

I'm ready.

Edited by leesanity7

8 minutes ago, Tim Donaghy said:

Just curious, how is he in pass-blocking? 

All I've heard is GB's pass-rush was projected to be filthy this year.

This is where Zenner may be a factor. Cooter said earlier this season that Washington was great with the ball in his hands, but has to work on pass protection. Riddick really isn't suited for that role, but Abdullah wasn't great on the line either (though he'd improved this year to my eyes) so it might not mean anything. Washington certainly has the size if he can pick it up.

Edited by LongBalls

9 hours ago, LeeVanCleef said:

@LongBalls

42 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Do you guys really like his highlights?  I see a bigger Ameer.  Needs a big hole, not much vision, can catch the ball, works best in space, good top speed.  I know which guy I like in this backfield, and I get the hype train, but I am underwhelmed by what I see on tape.  Even his big preseason run didn't do much for me.  I get the potential, and of course adding him, but what I am missing?  Why wasn't he successful in college?

Got hurt then sat behind some other kid that was pretty good and still there...I think..

Standard league with return yards, I'm trading Sims to get Washington.

Sims next 3 games in Martin's absence: Rams, Broncos, Panthers.  Not startable on my team.  Then who knows if Martin misses any more time down the road.  Washington seems to have more ceiling and not much worse of a floor.  

I'm not asking for advice -- hence no assistance coach forum.  Just saying how I value Washington and the reasoning.

Edited by Lord_Varys

Just now, Lord_Varys said:

Standard league with return yards, I'm trading Sims to get Washington.

Sims next 3 games in Martin's absence: Rams, Broncos, Panthers.  Not startable on my team.  Then who knows if Martin misses any more time down the road.  Washington seems to have more ceiling and not much worse of a floor.  

Is this thinking crazy?

Not crazy, but a fumbling issue is the one issue that makes me say his floor is bottomless imo. If his role expands to 13 carries this week, but he puts the ball on the ground twice, the Zenner Zealots will be out in full. 

If he doesn't fumble the job away I agree with the statement. 

Just now, taobball said:

Not crazy, but a fumbling issue is the one issue that makes me say his floor is bottomless imo. If his role expands to 13 carries this week, but he puts the ball on the ground twice, the Zenner Zealots will be out in full. 

If he doesn't fumble the job away I agree with the statement. 

I edited my original post to not ask for advice (better for Asst. Coach forums).  But thanks for validating my thinking real quick.  Definitely a fumbling risk.  

Full disclosure, I'm a Lions fan.

I like what I see in Washington. Can he be in a 50/50 split with Riddick and be valuable to fantasy owners? As much as everyone here is hyping him, there just isn't enough data or sample size. 

I do like how he moves, especially behind the line. He seems to keep his head looking upfield. He also appears to be patient. 

The 2 things I don't like are, he appears to run a bit upright, and he takes LONG strides. 

9 minutes ago, CurvePirate814 said:

Full disclosure, I'm a Lions fan.

I like what I see in Washington. Can he be in a 50/50 split with Riddick and be valuable to fantasy owners? As much as everyone here is hyping him, there just isn't enough data or sample size. 

I do like how he moves, especially behind the line. He seems to keep his head looking upfield. He also appears to be patient. 

The 2 things I don't like are, he appears to run a bit upright, and he takes LONG strides. 

accurate analysis.

Moves the pile. Watch the Bloom waldman analysis a couple pages back. Bloom calls DW high kinetic energy. Hard to bring down.

Need those TD's. 

Edited by mar1kle

He also isn't much of an inside runner.

Have you guys seen his college stats? 

RUSHING Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2013 47 332 7.1 71 4
2014 132 697 5.3 68 9
2015 47 282 6.0 69 4
RECEIVING Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG LNG TD
2013 1 5 5.0 5 1
2014 15 91 6.1 29 0
2015 25 315 12.6 81 3
RETURN Stats PUNTS KICKOFFS
YEAR TEAM PR YDS TD FC LNG KR YDS TD LNG
2015 0 0 0 0 0 2 22 0 18

Bishop Sankey led the team in 2013 in carries with 327.

Lavon Coleman led the team in 2014 in carries with 138.

Myles Gaskin led the team in 2015 in carries with 227.

He missed 5 games in 2013, 2 in 2014, and 5 in 2015.

All these arguments are valid, I just have a hard time believing that the Lions favor Zenner as long as Dwayne keeps the ball in his hands. 

Just now, taobball said:

All these arguments are valid, I just have a hard time believing that the Lions favor Zenner as long as Dwayne keeps the ball in his hands. 

Jenner was inactive and DW was active weeks 1 &2. . If DW shows ball control he is the man...God...this sound s like the Matt Jones thread I am on...

I guess I have a thing for big a** down hill runners who punish anyone that gets in their way...

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Just remember this is the Lions.  Whatever the right decision is, they make the wrong one. This isn't a statement between Zenner and Washington, this is just in general. We are thin at LB with Van Noy, Levy, and Williams getting hurt and lose Ameer, we go and sign Dobson.

2 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Jenner was inactive and DW was active weeks 1 &2. . If DW shows ball control he is the man...God...this sound s like the Matt Jones thread I am on...

I guess I have a thing for big a** down hill runners who punish anyone that gets in their way...

Then this isn't your guy.....

Just now, Sternes said:

Just remember this is the Lions.  Whatever the right decision is, they make the wrong one. This isn't a statement between Zenner and Washington, this is just in general. We are thin at LB with Van Noy, Levy, and Williams getting hurt and lose Ameer, we go and sign Dobson.

Understandable. Dwayne position on the depth chart those as the poster above pointed out is enough for me.

how is DW pass protection? that is a major factor in determiniing how many snaps an rb plays.a rb that cant block for the qb isnt on the field much

Just now, Sternes said:

Then this isn't your guy.....

Disagree...watch the tape as I requested....he moves piles

1 minute ago, Sternes said:

I am a loyal LIONS fan....this is SPOT on!!!!! 

2 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Disagree...watch the tape as I requested....he moves piles

Where?  Is there another video in this thread?  I see him showcasing his speed and going through open holes, and his catching ability, but I don't see him running people over or running up the gut.

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

how much time will abdullah miss?

at least 2 months.  And likely a game or two to work his way back.

so MAYBE...maybe hed be threatening back by Dec 1st or 8th ish.

That's best case though.  Likely he will be shelved the year

7 minutes ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

Hearing that Riddick has a career high of 11 carries was enough for me to pull the trigger on him. 

Riddick is not a real RB, think Shane Vereen.