hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

5 minutes ago, pepper11 said:

The hype train is full speed ahead. 21% bid got him in exactly 0 of my 12 leagues. He went for up to 58%.

Whoa...I own him everywhere but would NEVER use that on him. 

Personally, I'm benching him this week and am hoping for him to blow up there. Worst case, I don't start a dud. Best case, I have a stud for the rest of the season.

I'll add (because I can't edit at this point) that Ameer was severely undervalued for 2 main reasons:

-- Hype Letdown: he was hyped up so much last year such that when he failed to meet expectations, people really soured on him.  Like Jordan Mathews at WR: Still a good WR but because he didn't live up to the high price tag and so he fell in drafts simply because he failed to meet inflated expectations.

-- "Not a good running team": the line was supposed to suck, the team was supposed to suck, and the Lions weren't gonna run the ball.  It appears that the line isn't actually terrible so far this year and the offense is better than people thought.

All of these factors are why a guy who should have been drafted in the 5th or 6th fell to the 7th, 8th, and 9th rounds.

Now you've got another young, talented running back taking his place but with a much higher TD ceiling.

I just hope he blows up this week so that I can sell really high to a RB-needy team.

19 minutes ago, pepper11 said:

The hype train is full speed ahead. 21% bid got him in exactly 0 of my 12 leagues. He went for up to 58%.

got him for 46% ...Hype is real!

DW vs. DJ

The pre-draft combine measurables and profiles are eerily similar:

Drill David Johnson Dwayne Washington
Height 6'1" 6'2"
Weight 224 226
40 Yard Dash 4.50 seconds 4.44 seconds
Bench Press 25 reps 21 reps
Vertical Jump 41.5 inches 37 inches
Broad Jump 127 inches 127 inches
3 Cone Drill 6.82 seconds 6.9 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle 4.27 seconds 4.24 seconds

David Johnson NFL.com Combine Analysis

STRENGTHS Looks good on the hoof. Possesses a big body and falls forward for additional yards. Smooth pass-catcher out of the backfield and is a mismatch for linebackers. Has been a consistent weapon out of the backfield while in college. Uses an effective jump cut on inside runs to change direction and can string a couple of them together on the same run. Has good long speed when he gets into space.

WEAKNESSES Long-strider. Doesn't always look like he has the foot quickness to burst through the hole consistently. Allows defenders to get a hand on him through the replace and isn't a classic finisher. Tends to hit the brakes too hard in order to make his cuts. Questionable vision. Looks to make cuts instead of keeping the run play-side. Scouts want to see more fire in his play demeanor. Play strength and blocking are problems. Goes down too easily.

Dwayne Washington NFL.com Combine Analysis

STRENGTHS Possesses rare combination of size and speed. Flashes the juice once he hits it onto second level. Has a rush of 68 yards or more in each of his three seasons despite limited carries. Has enough early wiggle. Has athletic traits that cannot be ignored. Former wide receiver with ability to destroy linebackers matched up on him out of the backfield. Able to threaten the seam as pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES Long strider. Struggles to make quick, decisive cuts. Poor feel for the right running track on stretch plays. Looks for cutback lanes that arent there. Will run up blockers back and has very little feel between tackles. Scat­back who fails to run to his size. Plagued by fumbles putting ball on the ground 10 times in 227 career carries. Lost starting job this season and missed final three games due to injury. Has struggled to stay healthy during time at Washington.

14 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

DW vs. DJ

The pre-draft combine measurables and profiles are eerily similar:

Drill David Johnson Dwayne Washington
Height 6'1" 6'2"
Weight 224 226
40 Yard Dash 4.50 seconds 4.44 seconds
Bench Press 25 reps 21 reps
Vertical Jump 41.5 inches 37 inches
Broad Jump 127 inches 127 inches
3 Cone Drill 6.82 seconds 6.9 seconds
20 Yard Shuttle 4.27 seconds 4.24 seconds

David Johnson NFL.com Combine Analysis

STRENGTHS Looks good on the hoof. Possesses a big body and falls forward for additional yards. Smooth pass-catcher out of the backfield and is a mismatch for linebackers. Has been a consistent weapon out of the backfield while in college. Uses an effective jump cut on inside runs to change direction and can string a couple of them together on the same run. Has good long speed when he gets into space.

WEAKNESSES Long-strider. Doesn't always look like he has the foot quickness to burst through the hole consistently. Allows defenders to get a hand on him through the replace and isn't a classic finisher. Tends to hit the brakes too hard in order to make his cuts. Questionable vision. Looks to make cuts instead of keeping the run play-side. Scouts want to see more fire in his play demeanor. Play strength and blocking are problems. Goes down too easily.

Dwayne Washington NFL.com Combine Analysis

STRENGTHS Possesses rare combination of size and speed. Flashes the juice once he hits it onto second level. Has a rush of 68 yards or more in each of his three seasons despite limited carries. Has enough early wiggle. Has athletic traits that cannot be ignored. Former wide receiver with ability to destroy linebackers matched up on him out of the backfield. Able to threaten the seam as pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES Long strider. Struggles to make quick, decisive cuts. Poor feel for the right running track on stretch plays. Looks for cutback lanes that arent there. Will run up blockers back and has very little feel between tackles. Scat­back who fails to run to his size. Plagued by fumbles putting ball on the ground 10 times in 227 career carries. Lost starting job this season and missed final three games due to injury. Has struggled to stay healthy during time at Washington.

Just for argument's sake, James Starks is another WR turned RB in college who is of similar build and combine results.  It'll be interesting to see what Washington's role turns into as we go....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/james -starks?id=497206

1 minute ago, wayzupusc said:

Just for argument's sake, James Starks is another WR turned RB in college who is of similar build and combine results.  It'll be interesting to see what Washington's role turns into as we go....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/james -starks?id=497206

Starks was an RB2 in PPR last year despite being in a timeshare and 29 years old.  I think most D-Wash owners would be happy with that level of production. 

David Johnson was also a converted WR iirc.

As for Green Bay, they faced Yeldon and the Jags in week 1, no Ivory.  Yeldon is well on his way to proving he is not a viable NFL starter.  In week 2, GB sold out to stop AP and got immolated by a QB who had been with his new team for 15 whole days.

Detroit may have lost Calvin Johnson, but they still have a highly credible passing offense with 3 WR that can do damage.  No way GB can sell out to stop the run again this week.  Should be a fascinating matchup.

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'll add (because I can't edit at this point) that Ameer was severely undervalued for 2 main reasons:

-- Hype Letdown: he was hyped up so much last year such that when he failed to meet expectations, people really soured on him.  Like Jordan Mathews at WR: Still a good WR but because he didn't live up to the high price tag and so he fell in drafts simply because he failed to meet inflated expectations.

-- "Not a good running team": the line was supposed to suck, the team was supposed to suck, and the Lions weren't gonna run the ball.  It appears that the line isn't actually terrible so far this year and the offense is better than people thought.

All of these factors are why a guy who should have been drafted in the 5th or 6th fell to the 7th, 8th, and 9th rounds.

Now you've got another young, talented running back taking his place but with a much higher TD ceiling.

Spot on LV (as usual).

Unfortunately, the reality is that rookies find ways to screw things up (e.g., fumbles, pass pro, etc.) more often than they excel out of the chute.  Hope DW is the rare rookie that avoids the typical mishaps, such that the CS becomes comfortable assigning him all of AA's role (and hopefully more).

This guy is going to bust all over your faces. ;)

And the DJ comparison to Dwayne washington... comeon guys. DJ had 30+ receptions in 4 seasons along with 1k+ yards in four straight seasons along with being an athletic freak. Dwayne Washington got beat out by a rookie names Gaskin. He does have elite measurables and would have huge upside if Riddick got hurt do to be productive in the passing game, but as long as Riddick is there I'm not buying that he'll be useful. And don't be surprised when Zach Zenner steals some carries as well. 

I'm not as high on DW as most... not doubting his ability, but the opportunity in DET will not be as great as one would think for such a talent. They are dead set on an even split (see ATL falcons mind boggling situation). I feel DW and DET are headed in the exact same direction... for this reason, I dropped DW after picking him up and opted to join the Jordan Howard train. I may or may not eat crow for this decision, but the tea leaves point to this being as muddled as ATL.

Come bye weeks RB with 10+ touches in a top half offense might be fantasy gold.

15 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

And the DJ comparison to Dwayne washington... comeon guys. DJ had 30+ receptions in 4 seasons along with 1k+ yards in four straight seasons along with being an athletic freak. Dwayne Washington got beat out by a rookie names Gaskin. He does have elite measurables and would have huge upside if Riddick got hurt do to be productive in the passing game, but as long as Riddick is there I'm not buying that he'll be useful. And don't be surprised when Zach Zenner steals some carries as well. 

You sound salty that you missed out on him.  Sure the DJ comparisons are silly right now I will give you that.  But I don't see Zenner stealing too many carries when Washington has already clearly beat him out on the depth chart and was already the goaline back.  Plus Riddick is not the most healthy guy he has his share of injuries as well and if they try to run him into teh ground he will get hurt sooner or later.  

13 minutes ago, TheAwakening said:

I'm not as high on DW as most... not doubting his ability, but the opportunity in DET will not be as great as one would think for such a talent. They are dead set on an even split (see ATL falcons mind boggling situation). I feel DW and DET are headed in the exact same direction... for this reason, I dropped DW after picking him up and opted to join the Jordan Howard train. I may or may not eat crow for this decision, but the tea leaves point to this being as muddled as ATL.

The difference is Det has an offense.  Howard will never sniff the GL as much as DW.  And the massive upside that AA offered if Riddick was ever to miss time transfers in full to DW.  

24 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I'm more salty that I had Abdullah in most of my leagues.

20 minutes ago, TheAwakening said:

You would rather have an RB on Chicago than Detroit? Really? Have you seen any Bears games this year? They ******** suck and I would say in the running with the Browns to be the worst team in the ladies.

20 minutes ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

You sound salty that you missed out on him.  Sure the DJ comparisons are silly right now I will give you that.  But I don't see Zenner stealing too many carries when Washington has already clearly beat him out on the depth chart and was already the goaline back.  Plus Riddick is not the most healthy guy he has his share of injuries as well and if they try to run him into teh ground he will get hurt sooner or later.  

I think as long as Washington is still getting the goal line carries he's good for 12+ touches and if Riddick gets injured he's an extremely solid RB2. You have to admit it's strange that he got beat out by Gaskin in college. But with his measurables he looks like he could bring fantasy owners some big plays. 

3 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I think as long as Washington is still getting the goal line carries he's good for 12+ touches and if Riddick gets injured he's an extremely solid RB2. You have to admit it's strange that he got beat out by Gaskin in college. But with his measurables he looks like he could bring fantasy owners some big plays. 

I don't really think it's strange. He was a converted receiver to running back. It takes time to learn a brand new, different position.

23 hours ago, MBarbarian said:

If he helps them beat Green Bay in any way this week, he'll solidify a huge role for himself ROS.  

I can see it now...4th quarter, Lions down by 5, Dwayne takes the rock, stiff arms Clay Matthews and punches one in from 72 yards out for the win.

FIFY. 

Just now, the_dying_dream said:

Riddick is offiacially the "Lead guy"   Just confirmed it

This is a surprise ??

Lions coach Jim Caldwell said RB Theo Riddick will be "the lead guy" with Ameer Abdullah (foot, injured reserve) sidelined.

Riddick should start and play a big role, but he is not built to be an early-down workhorse. Riddick had never had more than seven attempts in a game before last week, and he owns a career 3.23 yards per carry average. Dwayne Washington will have a big role on early downs and near the goal-line. It would not be surprising if Washington out scores Riddick in standard formats.

It sounds terrible, but if they overplay Riddick this might get even better. As noted, he's not built for an every-down role and already had a concussion scare in the first week. There isn't a lot standing between Washington and a lot of touches.

3 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

Riddick is offiacially the "Lead guy"   Just confirmed it

That worries me not.  Riddick is not a ball-carrying RB.  He's a pass catcher; a Darren Sproles type of player.  Last year he caught 80 balls but had just 43 carries.  If there are carries, they will likely go to Washington with the occasional Riddick carry sprinkled in.  Now, Detroit could just decide to abandon the run entirely (they never run it that often as it is) and make extra swing passes to Riddick their de facto run game.  That could happen.  But the idea that Riddick will get 15 carries is a pipe dream.  

My advice: Hope this "news" makes someone drop Washington and scoop him up if you don't already have him.

Detroit has 47 rushing plays through 2 games, averaging 5.4 YPC (vs Indi and Tenn).

24 carries per game.

Is Riddick getting 15?  No?  Good.  Then Washington is good for at least 10 carries assuming he doesn't fumble it away to Zenner.

Think Washington won't take a couple catches per game?

You're looking at probably 50-70 yards per game and most likely all the goal line plunges.  Could do a lot worse.

Again, just pray he doesn't fumble it away.