hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

15 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

I feel like this is one of those games where Green Bay reminds everyone that they're actually a really good team and dominate the Lions.

That could happen, but Detroit nearly always plays GB tough.  Also, gameflow v. GB may be concerning but for Chi v. Dallas, potential gameflow is downright alarming.

As for Green Bay being the #1 Run Defense...

Its been two weeks of:

- a Chris Ivory-less rush attack led by TJ Yeldon

- a defense selling out to stop Adrian Peterson before he busted his knee

They are better/good but to prop them up or be scared to play your RBs against them after only two weeks and those matchups doesn't sway me at all. Game-flow does.

34 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

I feel like this is one of those games where Green Bay reminds everyone that they're actually a really good team and dominate the Lions.

From a Packers fan, not a chance.

Theo Riddick is going to feast and Packers are going to crumble this week.

Our Defense hasn't looked worse than ever. All opposing teams have to do is get their WRs / RBs in between our zones and we're toast. It's heavily exploitable and apparent watching any GB games. Our team just doesn't have the intelligence to play zone.

As for our Offense. Jordy has lost a step. He is no longer streaking past defenders and letting Aaron throw him bombs. Aaron is also playing scared and creating pressure when there isn't one. He has no confidence in this offensive line for some reason.

This team isn't clicking this week vs a tough division opponent no matter where this game is played. Packers straight suck right now and we are one of the slowest adapting teams in the league.

Lions gave 140 yards to the Titans at a 5.8 yards per carry. That  is all not Titan exotic smash mouth. Numerous quotes indicating a heavy dose of Eddie Lacy equals time of possession advantage to Pack.

Packers bottom third in Passing defense yet top shelf vs RB both rushing and receiving. Top corner out again this week for the Pack. Path of least resistance is through the air.

The Lions are on the road and underdogs. Ideally you would like your rushing based rb to be in a game that game script would have them ahead or close.

Plus we don't really know what we are getting here do we?

Too many risks for me to play him this week. 

4 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Packers bottom third in Passing defense yet top shelf vs RB both rushing and receiving. Top corner out again this week for the Pack. Path of least resistance is through the air.

This has been pointed out elsewhere, but take defensive performances to-date in context with competition. Thus far GB has shut-down TJ "I'm awful" Yeldon and a highly-ineffective Adrian Petersen who was averaging 1.6 YPC over two games before injuring his knee. I don't think we can say GB is a bad running match-up until they play a good team. Now that doesn't necessarily mean anything for Washington, but the fact people are already making match-up comments based on two games drives me a bit bonkers.

Is this guy only good until Ameer comes back? I want to drop Duke for him, but not if hes only relevant short term. Wish we knew more about Ameers inury

1 minute ago, deflatedeez said:

Is this guy only good until Ameer comes back? I want to drop Duke for him, but not if hes only relevant short term. Wish we knew more about Ameers inury

Ameer's on IR. You're talking about a MINIMUM of 8 weeks. There's no reason to worry about Ameer. Dwayne's got enough time to figure out his own success or failure. I wouldn't be thinking about this situation 8 weeks down the road with so many moving pieces, just looking at it week by week. 

1 minute ago, deflatedeez said:

Per IR-rules, he's gone for AT LEAST half the season. That's not "short-term" to me. I need production for Weeks 3-10 from my depleted RB group. 

And I think there's a significant chance Abdullah's injury does not last the minimum possible timeline and/or he comes back at less than 100%. If Washington shines, none of this might matter because he's won the job outright. 

I wouldn't worry too much about what happens 8 weeks from now. That said, I would struggle with your decision regarding Duke Johnson. That's a tough one. 

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

Ameer's on IR. You're talking about a MINIMUM of 8 weeks. There's no reason to worry about Ameer. Dwayne's got enough time to figure out his own success or failure. I wouldn't be thinking about this situation 8 weeks down the road with so many moving pieces, just looking at it week by week. 

Ohhh, wow. I sounded dumb. I didn't know we had solid info on Ameer yet. Thank you for the heads up.

@Rainyy Thanks man. Yeah, it really is a tough call.

Edited by deflatedeez

Just now, deflatedeez said:

Ohhh, wow. I sounded dumb. I didn't know we had solid info on Ameer yet. Thank you for the heads up.

If that's looking dumb, then myself and every other poster here is a full-blown idiot :). 

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein believes Zach Zenner will have "some sort of role" with Ameer Abdullah (foot, injured reserve) out.

Zenner was inactive the first two weeks, but Rothstein thinks he could have a goal-line role and help close out wins in the fourth quarter. Dwayne Washington, who beat out Zenner in the preseason, is also well suited for those roles and should get the first crack. Washington did have some ball-security issues in the preseason, however, and Zenner's role could grow if those issues pop up again. Zenner is worth a speculative add in deeper leagues.

17 minutes ago, taobball said:

And this is how everyone should be playing FF. Going week by week is far more efficient than looking way too much down the line.

1 hour ago, LongBalls said:

This has been pointed out elsewhere, but take defensive performances to-date in context with competition. Thus far GB has shut-down TJ "I'm awful" Yeldon and a highly-ineffective Adrian Petersen who was averaging 1.6 YPC over two games before injuring his knee. I don't think we can say GB is a bad running match-up until they play a good team..  Now that doesn't necessarily mean anything for Washington, but the fact people are already making match-up comments based on two games drives me a bit bonkers.

Matchup information shows how other teams OC have decided to attack their opposing teams. Teams have game planned ( and succeeded ) to attack the Pack through the air. Throwing that information out because it is the first two games of the year is illogical and shortsighted. This is a copy cat league.

It is more about using insights from past games as inputs into insights into this weeks Lions game plan. Losing Ameer further tips the scale to attacking the Pack through its WR's,

The other option is to flip a coin or use your intuition or gut to decide who you start in the beginning of the season because you don't have "enough" data...Doesn't work to well for me.

41 minutes ago, leesanity7 said:

And this is how everyone should be playing FF. Going week by week is far more efficient than looking way too much down the line.

Agreed. Play for winning today instead of eight weeks from now and "juicy playoff schedules". 8 weeks from now you could be in your league's cellar and care more about getting ready for the holidays than your fake football team.  If Abdullah takes back the reins in week 10/11 from Dwayne then so be it, I'll have hopefully found another solution by then.

The situation becomes tougher with shorter injuries obviously like Jonathan Stewart and Doug Martin, although Sims likely already owned. 

23 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

Clay Mathews ruled out?

And Guion doubtful.  And Datone Jones doubtful.  And Morgan Burnett out.  Sam Shields out.  That's a ton of starters down.  The Pain Train is about to steam down this tunnel.

I am not worried about a beat writer speculating that Zach Zenner may finally be active in week 3.  From the coaches' actions and statements, it is clear that Zenner is well behind Washington.

3 minutes ago, bulls49ersconnecticut said:

Zach Zennith is about to roast. 

Many believe that's his appropriate role: "Rare, medium or well done?"

I have a proclivity to go w/ RB's over WR's when given the choice (I know, it's stupid)...I will be rolling with DWash this weekend...cuz sometimes it fun to watch yer roll of the dice Yahtzee...

(truth be told, I don't have that many options)

1 hour ago, Mathew Berry said:

Clay Mathews ruled out?

As SharkSwimmer said yes, official word.

Packers officially ruled out OLB Clay Matthews and S Morgan Burnett for Week 3 against the Lions.

Both Letroy Guion (knee) and Datone Jones (knee) were downgraded to doubtful after being listed as questionable on the initial injury report. With Sam Shields (concussion) also out, the Packers will be without four starters and one important rotational player on defense against the Lions.
Sep 24 - 1:56 PM

2 hours ago, chud12 said:

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein believes Zach Zenner will have "some sort of role" with Ameer Abdullah (foot, injured reserve) out.

Zenner was inactive the first two weeks, but Rothstein thinks he could have a goal-line role and help close out wins in the fourth quarter. Dwayne Washington, who beat out Zenner in the preseason, is also well suited for those roles and should get the first crack. Washington did have some ball-security issues in the preseason, however, and Zenner's role could grow if those issues pop up again. Zenner is worth a speculative add in deeper leagues.

Close out wins in the 4th quarter wtf? Is this football or baseball I might be lost.

Edited by free_hernandez

Football teams do employ running backs to close out games they are winning in the 4th quarter.  Big bruising types like Dwayne Johnson.  This beat writer is speculating that Zenner could also be used in that role.  If he's active.  But compare Caldwell's statements about Washington up thread to this beat-writer speculation.  Then consider Washington v. Zenner usage in the first two games.

2 minutes ago, free_hernandez said:

Close out wins in the 4th quarter wtf? Is this football or baseball I might be lost.

Pitchers who can't hit the strike zone don't strike players out.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Football teams do employ running backs to close out games they are winning in the 4th quarter.  Big bruising types like Dwayne Johnson.  This beat writer is speculating that Zenner could also be used in that role.  If he's active.  But compare Caldwell's statements about Washington up thread to this beat-writer speculation.  Then consider Washington v. Zenner usage in the first two games.

Agree.  This is non-committal speculation only.   "some sort of role"  means nothing.   He's going to get first crack at the job, so he's either up to the task or not. 

Opportunity is knocking