hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

Here are the carries for the game:

Green Bay Scores, 7-0

(11:16 - 1st) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Riddick left end to DET 24 for -1 yards (N.Perry). PENALTY on GB-N.Perry, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at DET 24

(9:53 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Riddick left end to DET 47 for 1 yard (J.Ryan)

(7:52 - 1st) (No Huddle) T.Riddick right tackle to GB 42 for -1 yards (J.Ryan)

(5:41 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Riddick left end to GB 31 for -6 yards (N.Perry; J.Peppers)

(4:15 - 1st) (Shotgun) T.Riddick left guard to GB 20 for -3 yards (N.Perry)

Green Bay Scores, 14-3

Stafford goes 3-and-out

Green Bay Scores, 21-3

(14:40 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Washington left tackle to DET 22 for 9 yards (H.Clinton-Dix; M.Hyde)

(13:59 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Washington right end to DET 23 for 1 yard (K.Clark)

(12:33 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Washington right end to GB 38 for 1 yard (B.Martinez)

Stafford has the unluckiest interception as the ball is ripped from Ebron's hands and he's going down

GB Field Goal, 24-3

(10:41 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Washington right end ran ob at DET 34 for 9 yards (M.Hyde)

(9:35 - 2nd) D.Washington left end to DET 47 for 1 yard (D.Lowry, B.Martinez)

(8:00 - 2nd) G.Tate up the middle to DET 49 for -8 yards (J.Elliott)

(7:16 - 2nd) (No Huddle) D.Washington left end to GB 44 for 7 yards (L.Gunter, J.Ryan)

(5:55 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Riddick right guard to GB 25 for -1 yards (D.Lowry)

Detroit Missed Field Goal

Marvin Jones TD, 31-10

Green Bay Scores, 31-3

(14:26 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Riddick right tackle to GB 46 for 8 yards (B.Martinez)

(13:54 - 3rd) (Shotgun) T.Riddick right guard to GB 45 for 1 yard (J.Peppers)

(13:09 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Riddick up the middle to GB 41 for 4 yards (K.Clark)

(11:57 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Riddick up the middle to GB 27 for 7 yards (B.Martinez). DET-E.Ebron was injured during the play

(9:10 - 3rd) C.Robinson reported in as eligible. D.Washington right guard to GB 2 for -1 yards (M.Daniels)

Boldin TD, 31-17

GB Field Goal, 34-17

(2:25 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Washington right end to DET 40 for 1 yard (M.Hyde, K.Clark)

(1:12 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Washington left guard to GB 42 for 5 yards (H.Clinton-Dix, M.Hyde)

Detroit Field Goal, 34-20

(8:57 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Washington left guard to DET 25 for 5 yards (J.Ryan; J.Thomas)

Marvin Jones TD, 34-27

End of Game

Well now that Riddick has proven he's not an every down runner, Washington flashed glimpses of promise without a ton of opportunity due to game script, and Zenner was invisible as usual, I'm pretty glad I grabbed this guy off waivers last week after trading away Riddick. 

He'll be the primary RB within two weeks, with Riddick taking on more of a Sims role in the offense. Money in the bank. 

49 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

@ Indi was a shootout.

v Tenn was a tough matchup for any RB

@ GB was garbage time all day, AND a stout run D.

Lions have a favorable RB schedule the rest of the way.  There will still be some shootouts to be sure, but it has to be encouraging to have a big bruising back who can actually punish a linebacker.  Maybe Cooter will realize what he has there.  Abdullah and Riddick aren't going to pound on a defense like you want a RB to do.

Agreed.   Joique Bell had decent success for periods of time as the bruising back in Detroit- Wash. looks much more talented and athletically gifted. 

arrow up

Holben--

Thanks for posting that carries log.  A possible inference from the sequence is that Cooter and Caldwell had plans to feature Riddick, but his first several carries were so ineffective that Washington got more run.  

Might have to go with him this week as my other flex options are shaky and I'm going to be a huge underdog against one of the remaining undefeated teams left in the league. Might as well give him a whirl and see what he can do against the Bears

http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/25467/is-dwayne-washington-playing-his-way-into-larger-role-with-lions

And he caught the eye of at least one Packers defender, Mike Daniels.

“He’s got some strength to him,” Daniels said. “There’s a couple times where I was trying to chase him down and it looks like he’d be gloved up and right before he made contact with whoever was the safety or the linebacker, he accelerated to try and run through him.

“So that’s impressive.”

I'll continue to say it: the ability of a running back to deliver a blow to the tackling defender is so critical in the NFL.  It's what they mean when they say "pounding the run".  It's why Legarrette Blount seems only to improve as the game goes on.  You wear down and tire out a defense by smashing them in the mouth at the line of scrimmage, and with a running back.  It opens up everything else.  Let's hope that Jim Bob Cooter is smart enough a) to grasp this concept and b.) to put his battering ram to good use.  Then lets hope Washington doesn't drop the ball.

So far so good.  I hope Washington gets 20 carries v. the hapless Bears next weekend.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

So far so good.  I hope Washington gets 20 carries v. the hapless Bears next weekend.

I'd be happy with 15.  They'd really need to run out to an early lead (definitely possible vs the Bears) for Dwayne to get 20.  Still, considering the game flow yesterday and that he still got 10 carries, I'm very encouraged.

Given all the RB injuries, this guy is a decent bet to start in Week 4. I am a AP, Foster owner with Jordy on bye. The good news is that I don't have a headache of choosing an RB to roll out. 

Prior to week 3, all other RBs average 1.7 YPC against the Packers. 

Washington averaged 3.8 YPC in week 3 against them. 

That is a 123% increase in YPC compared to what others had managed.

2 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

That's pretty good but the packers d was quite banged up this week.

5 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Packers were missing at least 4 starters on defense against the Lions. Clay Matthews, Letroy Guion, Morgan Burnett, and Sam Shields.

Edited by sethiron
clarity

Washington looked good but he's playing 2nd fiddle to Riddick until further notice.  The Lions don't feature the run game, nor do they much care about bringing much run/pass balance anyways as has been the case for many seasons consecutively.  They want to pass pass pass and then run in very obvious situations.  They run the ball terribly I hate it.  I wish they would smarten up for F's sake.  Stafford and the pass game look decent and all, but these RB issues are getting old.  Jeezzz, I guess they did lose Abdullah tho, maybe the run game was going to be a lot different this year, I don't know.  Washington has some opportunity here, hopefully a usually very slow coaching staff will more quickly let a RB get and keep momentum for once.  I think Washington showed glimpses that he was just getting rolling and he ran hungry out there, seemed to have even sparked Riddick's game up a notch.  

Bye weeks incomming..  DWashington is a flex option for sure.  

13 minutes ago, LIONS FAN-dsn said:

Washington looked good but he's playing 2nd fiddle to Riddick until further notice. 

I am a Lions fan. Riddick is not the answer. He is not a 3 down back. He is not a between the tackles RB. The last two weeks show that; 21 rushes for 46 yards. He is who we thought he was. A receiving back that could take a handful of carries a game if needed. This job is for Washington taking if he is capable and ready. Riddick is not the answer for the Lions. 

I love Riddick. Such an excellent role-player. That said, history has shown up to this point that he's not a great runner between the tackles. Occasionally he'll show nice burst through the middle and make a guy miss in space, but generally, he's not great. And that's ok. His role as a pass catcher is an important one. 

Dwayne, up to this point, has shown impressive burst, patience, and power. We'll see if that translates to more carries or not. I'm hoping it does. 

16 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

I am a Lions fan. Riddick is not the answer. He is not a 3 down back. He is not a between the tackles RB. The last two weeks show that; 21 rushes for 46 yards. He is who we thought he was. A receiving back that could take a handful of carries a game if needed. This job is for Washington taking if he is capable and ready. Riddick is not the answer for the Lions. 

This is exactly right.  Riddick is not a running back.  He's a pass catcher who lines up in the backfield.  The Lions will eventually settle on someone else to do the running while still using Riddick in the passing game.  How much running the Lions do is always in question, of course.  But there is room for someone else to be a value in this backfield regardless of Riddick's role.  Right now the player with the inside track on that "running" role is Washington.

Agree or disagree with this statement = Washington's upside is J. Bell at his best.

2 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Agree or disagree with this statement = Washington's upside is J. Bell at his best.

No. His upside is Jammaal Charles circa 2010

1 minute ago, kyoun1e said:

No, for me the opportunity comparison is 2012 Detroit: Joique Bell and Mikel Leshoure, with Riddick in the Bell role and Washington the Leshoure role.  (Bell was primary a pass catcher in 2012; he didn't become a ball carrier until later.) 

A JAG through and through, Leshoure went for over 1,000 total yards and scored 9 TDs for a Lions team that completely blew (went 4-12).  Bell was a good PPR play that year with 900+ total yards and 52 catches plus 3 TDs.

5 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Agree or disagree with this statement = Washington's upside is L. Bell at his best.

ftfy :D

alright alright, I kid 

I see  DTrain's upside as slightly better than Joique's best efforts ... not saying its gonna happen, bit that's the 'upside' opinion of mine -

7 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

When Joique was at his best he was a very serviceable RB, and good for the Lions.

Washington's upside is even higher though because of his measurables.  I'm not sure he'll hit that upside this year, but it's there.

36 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Last week the o-line couldn't hold back Greenbay on most of Riddicks runs. Riddick is a fine in between the tackles runner. Just wait. 

9 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

When Joique was at his best he was a very serviceable RB, and good for the Lions.

Washington's upside is even higher though because of his measurables.  I'm not sure he'll hit that upside this year, but it's there.

I don't see Washington really being useful until Riddick is gone. But they just paid Riddick a lot of money and the coaching staff has faith in him moreso than a Washington. I think Washington has that ability to take it to the house but I don't see him being a 15+ touch guy this season barring injuries.