hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

Just now, chud12 said:

Lions coach Jim Caldwell blamed the offensive line for Theo Riddick's struggles on the ground Week 3.

Dear every Dwayne Washington owner,

Welcome to the life of a Detroit Lions fan.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled

9 hours ago, taobball said:

I'm confused by a lot of the pessimistic people in the thread... I understand that the point total wasn't there quite, but he got 10 carries in his first taste of real action as a 7th Round rookie including a goal line carry at the 1 yard line. If he converted that and we were dealing with a 9.5/10.5 point performance then I feel like none of these anti-sentiments would be around.

10 Carries, 1 Reception, 1 Goal Line Carry... that's plenty of scoring opportunities when you consider what the RB market is out there. Maybe my expectations have gotten too low for the position, but considering that I don't expect many of these numbers to go down, especially when you consider the awful flow of that Lions Packers game for a RB, 10-15 carries with goal line work and the potentially to be worked into the passing game (just by way of being part of the Lions) is super encouraging to me. 

Agree! The GB game was not a great game at all for a RB. There will be plenty of opportunities ahead. 

3 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Lions coach Jim Caldwell blamed the offensive line for Theo Riddick's struggles on the ground Week 3.

"We’ve just got to block better for him," Caldwell said. "We didn’t get him going or give him an alley to get him going. It was more execution up front." The Lions apparently did execute well for Dwayne Washington, who sparked the running game in the second quarter and finished with 29 more yards on the same number of carries. Actually able to create yards on his own, Washington is a much better fit as the lead back than Riddick, and he should start to see more work this week.

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein said "don't be surprised" if Dwayne Washington gets more work this week against the Bears.

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Dear every Dwayne Washington owner,

Welcome to the life of a Detroit Lions fan.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled

Wasn't Riddick considered the starter though? It will be a week or 2 and Washington should get the bulk. 

2 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Wasn't Riddick considered the starter though? It will be a week or 2 and Washington should get the bulk. 

if the Bears play anything like they did Sunday night, Washington will get plenty of work, starting or not.

5 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Yes, but one would hope that the Head Coach is capable of objective analysis of his roster, though.  You say it should be soon that Washington gets the bulk.  So does the beat reporter.  But the Head Coach -- notoriously stubborn -- seems to see things differently.

These blurbs today are two things: first, Caldwell, the Head Coach himself, saying it's not Riddick's fault that Riddick sucks.  Second, is a beat reporter saying that Washington should see more carries.  One of these guys is calling plays.  Unfortunately it is not the beat writer.

Caldwell is as stubborn as a mule. He reminds me of Lovie Smith and we all see where he's at. 

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Lol. I guess Caldwell didn't watch the game ... dowloaded the new season of Narcos on his iPad or something. Riddick will fade, he's just too small to be a feature back and if they want to get the most out of him they need to gear him back to that COP role that worked so well. Washington will end up with the J. Bell role. Who knows whether he'll succeed or not though.

I may end up starting two Lions, Washington and Jones. How did it come to this ...lets go Detroit! 

They'll name Theo the starter again and I think the first series will be the last time he sees the field consistency on early downs. 

Edited by JSA2422

28 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Lol. I guess Caldwell didn't watch the game ... dowloaded the new season of Narcos on his iPad or something. Riddick will fade, he's just too small to be a feature back and if they want to get the most out of him they need to gear him back to that COP role that worked so well. Washington will end up with the J. Bell role. Who knows whether he'll succeed or not though.

with all due respect, are you sure you watched the game?  I agree Riddick is not a work horse three down RB, no argument with that, but he was hit A LOT behind the line in that game sunday.  Granted, i hated the play calls more then anything, but that OL was dreadful, esp in the first half of the game for the Lions.

If the Lions are smart they will def try and get Washington more involved and this could be a great week to test the waters if I'm Caldwell.  No matter who starts for the Lions though, they will need to block a lot better then what they did Sunday.  I will add, GB has been eating up the run games through three weeks so far, so that match up was not a good one to begin with for any Lions RB

28 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

with all due respect, are you sure you watched the game?  I agree Riddick is not a work horse three down RB, no argument with that, but he was hit A LOT behind the line in that game sunday.  Granted, i hated the play calls more then anything, but that OL was dreadful, esp in the first half of the game for the Lions.

If the Lions are smart they will def try and get Washington more involved and this could be a great week to test the waters if I'm Caldwell.  No matter who starts for the Lions though, they will need to block a lot better then what they did Sunday.  I will add, GB has been eating up the run games through three weeks so far, so that match up was not a good one to begin with for any Lions RB

We'll see .. fact is Riddick has 91 yards on 28 carries this season, and I don't see it as a blocking problem. Abdullah had ~100 yards on 18 carries before he went down. It just doesn't look like Riddick is suited for that role. 

12 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

We'll see .. fact is Riddick has 91 yards on 28 carries this season, and I don't see it as a blocking problem. Abdullah had ~100 yards on 18 carries before he went down. It just doesn't look like Riddick is suited for that role. 

im not arguing if Riddick is suited for an every down role, he's not.  Im just saying Caldwell is dead on about the Lion's OL play sunday vs the packers.  They were terrible all around.  The stretch plays off tackle were getting buried 3 yards behind the line. Why they continued to run that over and over again i don't know.   

Washington needs to be involved more no doubt about it though on early downs.  They need to keep Riddick in the role he's meant to play.  In his defense tho and the OC's, they were trying to adjust in one week after the Abdullah news, and there is only a rookie and Zenner behind Riddick. So overall I'm not surprised the tried to lean on Theo in that game.  I said on one of these Lions RB threads before Sunday i would sit all Lions' RBs against the Packers to wait and see how it looks with the Abdullah injury and the bad match up

6 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

im not arguing if Riddick is suited for an every down role, he's not.  Im just saying Caldwell is dead on about the Lion's OL play sunday vs the packers.  They were terrible all around.  The stretch plays off tackle were getting buried 3 yards behind the line. Why they continued to run that over and over again i don't know.   

Or maybe the GB defensive line is that good?

Just now, burninglegs said:

Or maybe the GB defensive line is that good?

i think they are very good. Even down three players on that side of the ball they played well. (At least in the first half) 

Does not change the fact that Detroit's OL could play better and that Caldwell acknowledged that.  

Due to lack of options I'm actually starting him in one of my leagues and I'm pretty confident he will outproduce his projection against a very underwhelming Bears defense. This is his best chance to break out with a very though schedule coming up: Phi, LA, Was, Min, Hou.

13 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

i think they are very good. Even down three players on that side of the ball they played well. (At least in the first half) 

Does not change the fact that Detroit's OL could play better and that Caldwell acknowledged that.  

Sure, OLs can always play better in this league. But when you compare Riddick vs. Washington behind the same OL against the same defense, there is no question who was more successful and the better between the tackles runner. Not sure how Caldwell could miss this.

16 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Sure, OLs can always play better in this league. But when you compare Riddick vs. Washington behind the same OL against the same defense, there is no question who was more successful and the better between the tackles runner. Not sure how Caldwell could miss this.

Rodgers throwing 4 TDs and slamming the doors off the Lions in the first half sure doesn't help.  I agree Washington is or will be the better runner between the tackles, but I'm also not going to act like a 3.8 YPC /  10 carries/ 38 yards is impressive either.  It just tells me there is a lot for the Lions to work out overall with their run game, all included.  I think Caldwell missed it trying to figure out WTF his defense was doing the entire first half 

This will continue to be a throw first offense regardless 

Edited by BlakeP42

6 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

Rodgers throwing 4 TDs and slamming the doors off the Lions in the first half sure doesn't help.  I agree Washington is or will be the better runner between the tackles, but I'm also not going to act like a 3.8 YPC /  10 carries/ 38 yards is impressive either.  It just tells me there is a lot for the Lions to work out overall with their run game, all included.  I think Caldwell missed it trying to figure out WTF his defense was doing the entire first half 

But it is better than a 0.9 YPC 10/9 yards in the same game. 

This team will be a throw first offense, but as Bell showed back in 2013 and 2014, a lead RB in this offense can still be very fantasy relevant.

32 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

This. 

I think we see Washington get all of Ameer's touches this week and Riddick go back to 5 to 7 carries.  Gameflow got Detroit is heavy pass mode.  

If they continue to run Riddick between the tackles he'll break. 

Great matchup this week vs the Bears, I think he has a big week, I thought he looked decent in his few touches last week so I'll roll him out there if I manage to get him off waivers 

4 hours ago, chud12 said:

Its not like I've been saying that in this thread already .... Riddick got hit 3 yards behind the line every time. 

7 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Its not like I've been saying that in this thread already .... Riddick got hit 3 yards behind the line every time. 

Player A and player B both play on the same team, behind the same OL and against the same defense. 

Player A: 10/38

Player B: 10/9

Neither player did well, but one did better than the other. One did horrendous. Out of player A and B, who had the better day with the same number of touches against the same defense?