hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

I'll admit, at first I wasn't buying the hype. But I am mostly convinced that this guy could do it now. He passed waivers in my competitive league, which was super surprising to me, as the wire is usually picked to the bones. He's got a real shot this weekend. All aboard the Dwayne Train

59 minutes ago, swaggyp said:

Must start!  60-70 yards and a td,  book it! 

I think this is a fair assessment.  Equals 15 carries at 4.3 YPC.  I think he could approach 4.8 and maybe fewer carries, but probably will have a catch or two as well.  Good thing about Dwayne is that he's a homerun threat with his size and speed, so he could bust one for 40 yards and really inflate his stat line.

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

can't put this genie back in the bottle now, as per Mensio:

Start of the Week: Dwayne Washington at Bears:Washington was the waiver-wire darling of Week 3. Unfortunately, he was faced with a brutal matchup against the Packers’ No. 1 run defense in a game the Lions had to play catch-up for 3.5 quarters. This is a prime post-hype sleeper spot for Washington. After being massive underdogs last Sunday, the Lions are now three-point road favorites. Game flow projects to be in the Lions’ favor, and they’ll also be way up in pace. Detroit is 23rd in offensive pace, and the Bears are sixth. That’s the fourth-largest pace gap of Week 4. Opposing offenses are running on average 68.3 plays per game versus the Bears. No team has faced more rushing attempts than Chicago (92). Equally-bad against both the run and the pass, the Bears are 27th in team-defense DVOA, 26th against the pass, and 26th against the run. They’re missing a ton of defensive starters, including NT Eddie Goldman (ankle), ILB Danny Trevathan (thumb), OLB Pernell McPhee (knee, PUP), and OLB Lamarr Houston (torn ACL, I.R.). Goldman was PFF’s No. 9 run-stopping defensive tackle out of 70 qualifiers before going down. The Lions tried to use Theo Riddick as a between-the-tackles runner in their first game without Ameer Abdullah (foot, I.R.), but Riddick managed just nine yards on 10 carries at Green Bay. Washington turned his 10 carries into 38 yards. Beat writers are expecting Washington to get more work in this one. A floor of 15 carries with 20-plus upside seems reasonable. Only the Saints, Redskins, and Bills have surrendered more rushing touchdowns than the Bears to running backs through Week 3.

15 to 20 carries stop my body can only take so much 

I know it's blasphemy to the fantasy "expert" writers but I'm thinking of benching Riddick to start Dwayne instead...

I think Detroit will be able to use Ebron/Jones/Tate rather easily so Theo may not have to catch a bunch of dump offs..

And if/when Detroit gets up by a few tds they will be running it with Dwayne..

Throw in a couple catches and he could end up having a really nice rb week this Sunday...

I hate to be the party pooper and I'd love to see DWash kill it since I traded Riddick and then picked DWash off waivers, but I've seen stubborn coaches try to fit a square peg into a round hole so many times I'm heistant to believe that they'll do the rational thing here.

How do we really know that they won't just keep trying to make Riddick the every down guy even if it's obvious to the rest of us that he's not? Especially since they just paid Riddick a bunch of money? They could easily chalk up Riddick's crappy performance to the fact they were playing the Packers front 7

bears have the worst run d in the league and are banged up, you have to start him regardless

5 minutes ago, timbrah_ho said:

I hate to be the party pooper and I'd love to see DWash kill it since I traded Riddick and then picked DWash off waivers, but I've seen stubborn coaches try to fit a square peg into a round hole so many times I'm heistant to believe that they'll do the rational thing here.

How do we really know that they won't just keep trying to make Riddick the every down guy even if it's obvious to the rest of us that he's not? Especially since they just paid Riddick a bunch of money? They could easily chalk up Riddick's crappy performance to the fact they were playing the Packers front 7

I will cry so hard. But I worry, a little, too. Still rolling the dice.

6 minutes ago, swaggyp said:

you have to start him regardless

Disagree.  Maybe Riddick is able to find success this week and the coaches feel good about their decision to try and make him a bell cow.  If they were competent, he'd be a good start.  But this is the Lions.

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Disagree.  Maybe Riddick is able to find success this week and the coaches feel good about their decision to try and make him a bell cow.  If they were competent, he'd be a good start.  But this is the Lions.

Bingo. This is my concern. Also DWash is a rookie 

3 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Even if this hypothetical came true  Dwash would still get 10 carries and goalline touches.  I will take that against the s---y bears defense.  

1 minute ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

Even if this hypothetical came true  Dwash would still get 10 carries and goalline touches.  I will take that against the s---y bears defense.  

This should happen, yes.

I'm just telling you, as a Lions fan, that Washington is no lock for any kind of volume.  He could see 6-7 carries and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think he WILL see about 12 carries.  I'm just disagreeing with the notion that we should confidently start him.  Until I actually SEE the coaches give him a load, I'm not assuming that the Lions CS is going to do the right thing.

DWash will be the workhorse soon enough. The lions coaches will be stubborn and run running plays up the middle with riddick constantly. Ridding will break sooner than later if that's the case. See what happened to Shane Vereen when used as the in between runner? He will break!

7 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Sitting gurley.  Screw it 

Noted.  Future opinions disregarded.

6 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

This should happen, yes.

I'm just telling you, as a Lions fan, that Washington is no lock for any kind of volume.  He could see 6-7 carries and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think he WILL see about 12 carries.  I'm just disagreeing with the notion that we should confidently start him.  Until I actually SEE the coaches give him a load, I'm not assuming that the Lions CS is going to do the right thing.

Wonderfully stated.   Potential and moderate workload are there-   confidence is not. 

If the Bears running defense is so poor, what's to stop Riddick from appearing like a good primary back for a game, thereby giving the coaches the false impression that they were right all along, and then it takes them another 3-4 games to realize that oh darn Riddick sucks after all. 

Really getting down the rabbit hole now boys 

FWIW, I own both Washington and Riddick, and I'm doing everything I can to sell high as I can on Riddick before this weekend. Gut feeling after this weekend, it's Dwayne's world, we'll all just be living in it. 

Any chance the assumption of rational coaching happens this weekend under the Jim Bob Cooter? 

Seems like he has pushed all the right buttons for this offense since he took over half way through last year. 

Dwayne Washington: I’ll resist the urge to get giddy about Washington rushing for 38 yards when his first touch of the game came when the Lions were down 18. Especially because the Lions, uncharacteristically, ran a substitution to set up a goal-line play in the third quarter, and Washington was promptly stuffed a yard behind the line of scrimmage. That said, Theo Riddick gave them nothing as a runner (though Jim Caldwell is right when he points out that the Lions didn’t block anyone). The door is open a crack for Washington to grab a part-time role, but this still looks an awful lot like the Danny Woodhead/Melvin Gordon split in San Diego last season. The Lions want to go no-huddle, and when you go no-huddle you don’t substitute. It’s a 65/35 split in Riddick’s favor already, and there’s no guarantee they’ll take him off the field inside the 5.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/27/nfl-fantasy-football-week-4-waiver-wire-jordan-howard-legarrette-blount-randall-cobb

I'm not rolling him out this week but... via Rotoworld:

Start of the Week: Dwayne Washington at Bears:Washington was the waiver-wire darling of Week 3. Unfortunately, he was faced with a brutal matchup against the Packers’ No. 1 run defense in a game the Lions had to play catch-up for 3.5 quarters. This is a prime post-hype sleeper spot for Washington. After being massive underdogs last Sunday, the Lions are now three-point road favorites. Game flow projects to be in the Lions’ favor, and they’ll also be way up in pace. Detroit is 23rd in offensive pace, and the Bears are sixth. That’s the fourth-largest pace gap of Week 4. Opposing offenses are running on average 68.3 plays per game versus the Bears. No team has faced more rushing attempts than Chicago (92). Equally-bad against both the run and the pass, the Bears are 27th in team-defense DVOA, 26th against the pass, and 26th against the run. They’re missing a ton of defensive starters, including NT Eddie Goldman (ankle), ILB Danny Trevathan (thumb), OLB Pernell McPhee (knee, PUP), and OLB Lamarr Houston (torn ACL, I.R.). Goldman was PFF’s No. 9 run-stopping defensive tackle out of 70 qualifiers before going down. The Lions tried to use Theo Riddick as a between-the-tackles runner in their first game without Ameer Abdullah (foot, I.R.), but Riddick managed just nine yards on 10 carries at Green Bay. Washington turned his 10 carries into 38 yards. Beat writers are expecting Washington to get more work in this one. A floor of 15 carries with 20-plus upside seems reasonable. Only the Saints, Redskins, and Bills have surrendered more rushing touchdowns than the Bears to running backs through Week 3.

23 minutes ago, timbrah_ho said:

If the Bears running defense is so poor, what's to stop Riddick from appearing like a good primary back for a game, thereby giving the coaches the false impression that they were right all along, and then it takes them another 3-4 games to realize that oh darn Riddick sucks after all. 

One school of thought.  The Lions and Caldwell are incompetent.

11 minutes ago, Djop20 said:

Any chance the assumption of rational coaching happens this weekend under the Jim Bob Cooter? 

Seems like he has pushed all the right buttons for this offense since he took over half way through last year. 

The other school of thought.  Cooter has the reigns and the smarts.

---

This weekend should be very telling as to which school is correct.

4 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

start of the week, eh?

that worked pretty well for dolphins d/st last week

To be fair..the dolphins avg about 8pts in standard leagues and that's not bad at all. 

I think Washington would be a fine flex start this week, I just don't put too much credence in rotoworld predictions

like others, I am not starting him this week because of better options, but I'm hoping for the best and some legit ROS value

DetroitLions.com's Tim Twentyman expects Dwayne Washington to see "an uptick in carries" against the Bears.

Twentyman said Theo Riddick will still be involved, but the smart money is on Washington beginning to monopolize the early-down work. He was much more effective on the same number of carries last week and is a better fit for Ameer Abdullah's old role. Against a Bears front which has been decimated by injuries, Washington is a FLEX play with the upside for a lot more