hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, swaggyp said:

DetroitLions.com's Tim Twentyman expects Dwayne Washington to see "an uptick in carries" against the Bears.

Twentyman said Theo Riddick will still be involved, but the smart money is on Washington beginning to monopolize the early-down work. He was much more effective on the same number of carries last week and is a better fit for Ameer Abdullah's old role. Against a Bears front which has been decimated by injuries, Washington is a FLEX play with the upside for a lot more

More beat writers speculating.  Same as the ESPN article posted earlier this week.

People, I own Dwayne, love the talent, and want him to succeed.  And if you have to start him this week I think he should be fine.

But do not trust beat writers unless they have a quote from a coach.  Even then, the coach might be misdirecting.  Wait and see what the Lions coaches do first, if you can.

Hopefully they'll let Washington take a series at the start of the game and utilize him in the passing game to see how he works as a receiver. Predictions based solely on the quality of the defense vs this or that aspect of the game is sometimes not very good when taken with all other things (the rotoworld also did not mention Jerell Freeman is also injured). This team plays fast and they like being able to put their RB out wide on plays. I'm going to say that the big issue with the Lions is their defense which has been routinely torched and can't generate any pressure on the QB with all their injuries and with their current LB's and safeties sucking in coverage and maybe switching to a more keep a way style of offense like the Cowboys could help cover up the deficiencies of the defense, but the Lions o-line sucks and we saw last year how badly Stafford struggled before they switched to a more up tempo style of offense. I don't have any other options so I'm starting him. I think he'll do ok, maybe 15/60 maybe 2 catches for 15 yards and hopefully one td. 

Hmm Caldwell makes me nervous here. He went out of his way to blame Riddick's struggles last game on the offensive line, and I think they'll take this opportunity to prove their little theory that he can be a three-down back. Washington is still a good hold though since it's only a matter of time before he gets an expanded role either because Riddick is ineffective or injured.

6 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

He went out of his way to blame Riddick's struggles last game on the offensive line, and I think they'll take this opportunity to prove their little theory that he can be a three-down back.

I'm kind of pounding the same point home over and over so I'll stop after this, but again, this is exactly why I think you can't start Washington confidently over proven guys like Blount or Latavius.  Exceptions: byes, obviously; or if you're looking at a really tough matchup and need an upside guy.

I just can't trust Washington yet.  Yes, the opportunity is there but there are too many unknowns for me.  I would rather him blow up on my bench and than have him fail in my starting lineup.  

2 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I'm kind of pounding the same point home over and over so I'll stop after this, but again, this is exactly why I think you can't start Washington confidently over proven guys like Blount or Latavius.  Exceptions: byes, obviously; or if you're looking at a really tough matchup and need an upside guy.

One of my regular starters has a horrible matchup this week and I'm trying to talk myself into Washington over another alternative. Logic says the Lions should be able to run at will on the Bears and will with ease. But Caldwell has never struck me as a logical coach. Everybody saw Riddick fail miserably as an every-down back, but Caldwell doesn't seem to think the same. Now if the Lions get ahead (not out of the question), I think its a good situation for Washington. I don't know. I'll keep checking back in here and see if you guys can talk me into it before Friday because I'm not changing my lineup after that.

1 hour ago, LongBalls said:

Hmm Caldwell makes me nervous here. He went out of his way to blame Riddick's struggles last game on the offensive line, and I think they'll take this opportunity to prove their little theory that he can be a three-down back. Washington is still a good hold though since it's only a matter of time before he gets an expanded role either because Riddick is ineffective or injured.

That's why Dwayne is an upside flex play...the Bears running defense is so bad that he could get 5 to 6 points based on that alone. Maybe a goalline touchdown and you get 10-12 points. If Theo proves again that he's not a three down back and Dwayne sees the bulk of the carries/touches, then he could blow up during the game and get you 15+ and he's suddenly the hottest commodity that you got for free.

Edited by lbjames6

How are we ranking the RB lottery tickets? Howard, Washington, Dixon, Smallwood?

I have it as 1) Howard, 2) Washington, 3) Smallwood, 4) Dixon

3 minutes ago, _sentry_ said:

How are we ranking the RB lottery tickets? Howard, Washington, Dixon, Smallwood?

I have it as 1) Howard, 2) Washington, 3) Smallwood, 4) Dixon

Short term:

1) Howard, 2) Washington, 3) Smallwood, 4) Dixon

Long term (fantasy playoff value):

1) Dixon 2)Washington 3) Howard 4) Smallwood

I don't see Smallwood breaking out and becoming a workhorse, if even getting the majority of the load, with all the mouths to feed. Howard will move up if he breaks out, but that horrible O-line and less then elite talent, plus Langford coming back, makes me think he won't be startable by then. Washington should continue to fill that Abdullah role but not ever be a three down back with Riddick there and the Lions throwing so much. Then Dixon has the talent to rise above the putrid running back in Baltimore and completely run away with a job. He's the only one of the four I think will be head and shoulders above the backs he's competing with.

Just now, WAGERKING said:

Lol the rotoworld staff is obsessed with this guy. another blurb just came out

Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter said Dwayne Washington is "building confidence" with the coaching staff.

Just now, WAGERKING said:

Lol the rotoworld staff is obsessed with this guy. another blurb just came out

It's a valuable quote tho.

The OC, Cooter, says he's "building confidence" within the Lion's Coaching Staff. 

Really curious as to if the offense is run by Jim Bob or Caldwell. If it were up to Cooter, we will certainly see Dwayne's touches increase, but Caldwell is one stubborn coach and I can see him sticking with Riddick on the ground. 

One way or another, I hope the Lions staff realize that Washington is certainly the better runner.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Ok NOW I'm ready to get excited. Great to hear that from Cooter. 

That is a plus for Dwayne's prospects. He must be working hard. 

18 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Short term:

1) Howard, 2) Washington, 3) Smallwood, 4) Dixon

Long term (fantasy playoff value):

1) Dixon 2)Washington 3) Howard 4) Smallwood

I don't see Smallwood breaking out and becoming a workhorse, if even getting the majority of the load, with all the mouths to feed. Howard will move up if he breaks out, but that horrible O-line and less then elite talent, plus Langford coming back, makes me think he won't be startable by then. Washington should continue to fill that Abdullah role but not ever be a three down back with Riddick there and the Lions throwing so much. Then Dixon has the talent to rise above the putrid running back in Baltimore and completely run away with a job. He's the only one of the four I think will be head and shoulders above the backs he's competing with.

Where would you fit McKinnon in this list.  I have a chance to secure Washington but most likely part with McKinnon 

5 minutes ago, NightWolfNightmares said:

Where would you fit McKinnon in this list.  I have a chance to secure Washington but most likely part with McKinnon 

I have McKinnon as #1 without a doubt. 

13 minutes ago, NightWolfNightmares said:

This. I have both but feel like I should put my stock in one or the other instead of flopping between the two. 

17 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

I have McKinnon as #1 without a doubt. 

Until I see McKinnon break out I'm going to be wary of anointing him. That Minnesota team just seems to be conservatively built around their great defense. The lack of shoot-outs makes me nervous about him. Plus Asiata is obviously not going away any time soon. I think I would have him #1 but could easily see Dixon passing him if he makes a quick impact.

Translation of these latest blurbs:

"Washington to Enterprise.  One to beam up!"

I'm going back and forth on trying to decide if i wanna drop T.Riddick for him and that's in a PPR league. I know Riddick is the guy for PPR leagues but i think the little D.Wash has shown so far is a positive and think this kid could be a good one and Abdullah is out for quite a while if not the whole year. With defenses playing back cause they know how much Detroit loves to throw the ball this kid could really rack up some yds and he's big enough to get the goal line work as well.

What do you guys think about dropping Riddick for him?? Would you??

Chris Harris had a good review on Riddick/Dwayne Washington for those interested. 

Rolling him out where injuries have stung me like an angry wasp.

I'm a happy camper if he can get more than 10 fantasy points.

The Cooter's words help put me at ease.

8 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

DWash will be the workhorse soon enough. The lions coaches will be stubborn and run running plays up the middle with riddick constantly. Ridding will break sooner than later if that's the case. See what happened to Shane Vereen when used as the in between runner? He will break!

Cooter already came out and talked about how DWash has built a lot of confidence from the coaching staff and didn't he get like 10 carries last week??  I think he could touch the ball 12-15 times this week and will do work if he does cause the Bears have a ton of injuries on their defense especially their run defense with E.Goldman, D.Trevathon and L.Houston all out.