hard1

Dwayne Washington 2016 Season Outlook

This is a classic fantasy vs. real-life clash of expectations. To the Fantasy player it makes so much sense that D-Wash becomes the workhorse. But guess what, the Lions don't give a s--- about Fantasy. They're gonna continue to give Riddick the majority of run and this thread will continue to be guys crying about how the Lions are stupid and that D-Wash and their fantasy teams are getting screwed.

I don't think so Spicoli. D Washington is in the right place at the right time. The Lions offense is clicking and we're going to see this week that he is the final piece to the Detroit offensive puzzle. Get him now while you can,there's going to be a lot of Washington owners in the championship this year!

7 minutes ago, Spicoli56 said:

This is a classic fantasy vs. real-life clash of expectations. To the Fantasy player it makes so much sense that D-Wash becomes the workhorse. But guess what, the Lions don't give a s--- about Fantasy. They're gonna continue to give Riddick the majority of run and this thread will continue to be guys crying about how the Lions are stupid and that D-Wash and their fantasy teams are getting screwed.

Not while Riddick gets less than 2 ypc and DET is losing games.

Caldwell is toast if they don't win this year. So Washington will definitely get an opportunity. 

This isn't like last yr when Arians stubbornly played CJ?k over DJ yet ARI kept winning comfortably.

36 minutes ago, Spicoli56 said:

I certainly agree to an extent. However, they did try to feed Riddick the ball last week and he just couldn't get it done. My guess is Caldwell will give him another shot against a suspect defensive line, but with a much shorter leash. If this were Bill Billicheck coaching the team, he would quickly realize that Dwayne Washington is his LaGarette Blount and Riddick is his Dion Lewis. Unfortunately, we are dealing with Caldwell and who know what he is thinking half of the time with his run game?

as much as we can think that Caldwell is a poor decision maker, the guy still has extensive football knowledge and is surrounded by a group of assistant coaches with football IQ higher than the average fantasy player. They have watched last game's tape all week and guess what, you'd have to be blind as a bat to not see that Washington should be the 1&2 downs back. My guess is they're throwing smoke screens and keeping the young guy motivated to earn his sport but behind the scenes I'm sure they,re as excited as we are after seeing how he performed.

15 hours ago, calibar said:

as much as we can think that Caldwell is poor decision maker, the guy still has extensive football knowledge and is surrounded by a group of assistant coaches with football IQ higher than the average fantasy player. They have watched last game's tape all week and guess what, you'd have to be blind as a bat to not see that Washington should be the 1&2 downs back. My guess is they're throwing smoke screens and keeping the young guy motivated to earn his sport but behind the scenes I'm sure they,re as excited as we are after seeing how he performed.

I used to feel this way, and then years and years of watching coaches and front offices make ridiculous decisions lead me to believe that some of them truly are not as smart as you would think.

'No Longer Starvin' Marvin looking iffy for Sunday ... think this bodes well for DTrain's prospects, inasmuch that Theo will be needed much more in the passing game than usual - keeping him fresh by spelling him with Washington would make a ton of sense -

we haven't seen Detroit's 'Plan B' offense yet ... if Jones sits, the whole scheme may shift to more RB-centric, especially with all those injuries on the Bears D -

Totally agree, let's phase out the "r" word when talking about Caldwell.  And, if the Lions CS gives D. Washington about 20 carries v. Chicago this Sunday as it appears he will, we may all be back in this thread come Monday morning, toasting to Caldwell and his brilliant deployment of one of the NFL's most exciting young running back weapons.

9 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

'No Longer Starvin' Marvin looking iffy for Sunday ... think this bodes well for DTrain's prospects, inasmuch that Theo will be needed much more in the passing game than usual - keeping him fresh by spelling him with Washington would make a ton of sense -

we haven't seen Detroit's 'Plan B' offense yet ... if Jones sits, the whole scheme may shift to more RB-centric, especially with all those injuries on the Bears D -

Their scheme will never shift to more RB centric this year. Golden state, Jones, Boldin, Riddick, and Ebron in the shot gun offense should be their default. They don't need to run the ball unless they are ahead because of the weapons they have. 

4 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Their scheme will never shift to more RB centric this year. Golden state, Jones, Boldin, Riddick, and Ebron in the shot gun offense should be their default. They don't need to run the ball unless they are ahead because of the weapons they have. 

agreed on all of that, and it's why I own Stafford in 3 of 4 leagues ...

... but my caveat was IF Jones sits 

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

agreed on all of that, and it's why I own Stafford in 3 of 4 leagues ...

... but my caveat was IF Jones sits 

Even if Jones sits the only way they run the ball is if they're ahead. They're more efficient in the passing game. They should use Tate more. 

I drafted Stafford in 3/4 leagues as well which has paid off nicely with Jones in 3/4 leagues. 

18 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Yeah.  I mean when you have Cooter coming out at the start of the year saying "we don't need a 1,000 yard rusher", it kind of tells you where their heads are at.  Certainly no one should expect they're going to line up in power and run Dwayne 20 times a game.

Still, there's hope for Dwayne.  An early down rumbler with pass catching ability who's also getting goal line ...  if he shows any promise between the tackles and can hold onto the ball, it could be waiver wire gold in a potent offense.

Prediction:  Washington gets 15 touches a game the rest of the year with all the GL work.  175 rushes, 20 receptions, 900 total yards, 9 TD's over the final 13 games. 

I'm strongly considering starting DWash over Tevin Coleman as RB2.

Chicago has been getting absolutely gashed by early down backs so far, and not nearly as much through the air. I think if he gets the Lion's :D share of the carries (which he should) he will have a very safe floor.

Hope: 13 carries, 81 yards, 1TD on his long of 22yds, 1 catch for 4yds.

19 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

Prediction:  Washington gets 15 touches a game the rest of the year with all the GL work.  175 rushes, 20 receptions, 900 total yards, 9 TD's over the final 13 games. 

I won't comment on the rest of the numbers, but I think for a Lions offense 20 receptions is extremely low if you believe in the rest of the numbers. We've got 13 games to play...that's barely over 1 per game. Abdullah had 25 last year and spent a portion of the year injured/banged up, and Joique had 22. 

People remember that Theo caught 80 balls. What they don't remember is that Detroit RBs combined for 129... so if Theo hits 80 again that leaves 49 up in the air if we're basing it off last year. And if we're assuming he's on the field enough to get 175 carries, he's going to get far more than 20 receptions. 

I am using the fact that he will be successful as a given for this argument, of course. 

24 minutes ago, dudeondacouch said:

I'm strongly considering starting DWash over Tevin Coleman as RB2.

Chicago has been getting absolutely gashed by early down backs so far, and not nearly as much through the air. I think if he gets the Lion's :D share of the carries (which he should) he will have a very safe floor.

Hope: 13 carries, 81 yards, 1TD on his long of 22yds, 1 catch for 4yds.

Similar situation. I'm rolling the dice with Washington over Coleman this week. 

32 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

So an average of 11.1 in standard and 12.6 points in PPR - not counting lost fumbles or any bonuses for long plays/100 yard games. Kind of hoping for better than that. That's decent and makes him worthy of a flex/ bye week RB2 option but honestly I'm hoping for more.

Not saying I am asking for CJ Anderson 2014 type numbers where out of nowhere, his last 8 games he put up 1090 total yards and 10 tds - although that'd be fantastic but perhaps Zac Stacy 2013 type numbers. Last 12 games he put up 1114 total yards and 8 tds. Averages of 13.3 in standard and 15.5 in ppr.

Just trying to simmer down a bit. I like this guy and I hope he gets 18 carries and 3 receptions a game, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect that from a Lions RB. I'm hopeful, and will be ecstatic if he goes off, but right now I see him as a very solid flex play. Key words though are right now, that could all change after this week

3 hours ago, calibar said:

as much as we can think that Caldwell is retarded, the guy still has extensive football knowledge and is surrounded by a group of assistant coaches with football IQ higher than the average fantasy player. They have watched last game's tape all week and guess what, you'd have to be blind as a bat to not see that Washington should be the 1&2 downs back. My guess is they're throwing smoke screens and keeping the young guy motivated to earn his sport but behind the scenes I'm sure they,re as excited as we are after seeing how he performed.

I beg to differ. Many of the coaches got their positions through nepotism. You know when the employee has to teach the boss how to send an email?

Nepotism works in all facets of life and doesn't prove any IQ skills. 

Edited by TX Babe Ruth

I need to start keeping track how many of these situations don't pan out anymore.  I mean  I'm all in,  have him everywhere but I can't recall the last time that I've made a major preemptive move like this and had a true rb1 week in and week out. 

I remember when I could grab a Kevin Smith and all of the sudden I had a dude putting up 20 to 30 a week for his the lions used him.  I always hold out for these moments but I dunno,  just seems far and few these days. 

Id love hope this is the next DJ, but I know the moment I plug him in again it's your typical 30 to 50 yards and a struggle all day.  I know I'm gloomy but it's just how it goes anymore with these kind of pickups.  But I hope I'm wrong,  I'd love if this dude really lit it up 

i don't think anyone is expecting week in week out RB1.

with what has happened to the RB pool, a safe RB2 at 12fp/gm can easily be a championship winning pickup.

the running game in Detroit does not support a legit RB1, but with even 10 person leagues starting 20RB and 10flex, and bye weeks looming... i'm excited about someone i can plug in and feel good about getting me 9.5 points instead of 1.5.

2 minutes ago, dudeondacouch said:

i don't think anyone is expecting week in week out RB1.

with what has happened to the RB pool, a safe RB2 at 12fp/gm can easily be a championship winning pickup.

the running game in Detroit does not support a legit RB1, but with even 10 person leagues starting 20RB and 10flex, and bye weeks looming... i'm excited about someone i can plug in and feel good about getting me 9.5 points instead of 1.5.

But it used to be like that in days past where you could land an rb1.  Like I said about Kevin Smith,  man those days were glorious when he took over the role because they ran screens to him nonstop. I just miss when that could be feasible.. 

I don't think 10 to 15 a week is that much to ask from an rb on a team like the lions 

I feel pretty confident that this guy will be a solid Rb2 in a week or so. If he finds the endzone consistently he has an outside chance at finishing as a fringe RB1.

The one thing I love about this thread is everyone was doubting Abdullah being a big factor (except me) and now we have an RB come in who is not even close to as talented as Abdullah and playing less snaps but he has 'RB1 upside' and is a 'solid RB2'.