brockpapersizer

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

Getting back to being Stanton again? That ball was utterly destroyed, and finally a non-fastball he hit out. Do like him in OBPers, his BBs are a good sign he's getting back to form again.

4 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Getting back to being Stanton again? That ball was utterly destroyed, and finally a non-fastball he hit out. Do like him in OBPers, his BBs are a good sign he's getting back to form again.

He's always been able to take wallks and he's much more valuable in obp leagues than average ones.

He's also always good and still pretty young. Just hope he can stay healthy.

5 hours ago, swfcdan said:

He's always been there. As brockpapersizer pointed out, the only question mark is health. If he stays healthy the majority of the season he's guaranteed to hit 40 HR with a chance to get to 50. 

1 hour ago, lbjames6 said:

He's always been there. As brockpapersizer pointed out, the only question mark is health. If he stays healthy the majority of the season he's guaranteed to hit 40 HR with a chance to get to 50. 

No, just NO.  He's never hit 40.  He has a season high of 37.

Just now, jb_power said:

No, just NO.  He's never hit 40.  He has a season high of 37.

Look at how many games he played that season. I owned him that year. He was on pace for 50. 

Just now, lbjames6 said:

Look at how many games he played that season. I owned him that year. He was on pace for 50. 

on pace and guaranteed ... do they have the same meaning now?  I'm gonna have to look them up in my Funk and Wagnalls.

Just now, jb_power said:

on pace and guaranteed ... do they have the same meaning now?  I'm gonna have to look them up in my Funk and Wagnalls.

Notice I said if he stays healthy...reading comprehension is a beautiful thing. 

Just now, lbjames6 said:

Notice I said if he stays healthy...reading comprehension is a beautiful thing. 

Ahhh and there's the rub.  My comprehension is just fine but thank you.  Your posting false statements.

Note the Stanton played 150 games in 2011 and 145 games 2014 yet he did not hit a "guaranteed" 40 HRs in either season.

What do you consider "if he stays healthy"?  162 games played?

I think the greater point @lbjames6 is trying to make is that Stanton is the biggest power bat in the league, hands down.  Yes, he never hit 40 home runs in a season, but in 2012 he hit 37 in 123 games.  In 2014 he hit 37 in 145, last season hit 27 in 119 after a terrible start, and most impressively hit 27 in 74 in 2015.

Since his first taste of MLB action in 2010, Stanton has 212 home runs.  That's the seventh most, and with at least 600 less PA's than any of the guys ahead of him.  He's second only to Bautista in ISO and fourth in SLG.  And with the exceptions of 2010 and 2012, he's been top three every season of his career in average home run distance.  

Point is, if we were to be guaranteed a full season of health for Stanton and the over/under was 40, I'd take the over.

12 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

I think the greater point @lbjames6 is trying to make is that Stanton is the biggest power bat in the league, hands down.  Yes, he never hit 40 home runs in a season, but in 2012 he hit 37 in 123 games.  In 2014 he hit 37 in 145, last season hit 27 in 119 after a terrible start, and most impressively hit 27 in 74 in 2015.

Since his first taste of MLB action in 2010, Stanton has 212 home runs.  That's the seventh most, and with at least 600 less PA's than any of the guys ahead of him.  He's second only to Bautista in ISO and fourth in SLG.  And with the exceptions of 2010 and 2012, he's been top three every season of his career in average home run distance.  

Point is, if we were to be guaranteed a full season of health for Stanton and the over/under was 40, I'd take the over.

Very very well said, and I completely agree. 

Assuming that you start a substitute for Stanton when he's hurt, then the total HR production should be quite good.

Like one year he went down in June after a strong start. I think he had like 27 homers when he was done for the year. I thought my season was over, but I still won because WW replacement Khris Davis hit 20 for me. So betwen them, that is 47 homers. Even if you pick up a guy who only hits 10 homers in the final 3 months, that's still 37 total.

The point is, if Stanton only plays 120 games, it's not like you get 0 production in the other 42 games if you actively manage your team.

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

Ahhh and there's the rub.  My comprehension is just fine but thank you.  Your posting false statements.

Note the Stanton played 150 games in 2011 and 145 games 2014 yet he did not hit a "guaranteed" 40 HRs in either season.

What do you consider "if he stays healthy"?  162 games played?

He was 21 years old in 2011.  I don't think you can use that season as a fair comp for what he would do in 150 games NOW.

I wouldn't say anyone is "guaranteed" to hit 40 HRs, but I think that's a pretty safe prediction IF he plays 150+ games.  It's the 150+ games that isn't a good bet.

2 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

I think the greater point @lbjames6 is trying to make is that Stanton is the biggest power bat in the league, hands down.

Aaron Judge might disagree

51 minutes ago, exm said:

Aaron Judge might disagree

Stanton does have a higher average exit velocity and average distance.

Miguel Sano does have, by far, the highest avg exit velocity though.

45 minutes ago, ZeroCool22 said:

Locked and cocked

2bombs2nite

I'm pissed because I'm going to the game tomorrow. A homey on Friday and then two today means he won't do it again on Sunday :(

42 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I'm pissed because I'm going to the game tomorrow. A homey on Friday and then two today means he won't do it again on Sunday :(

He'll hit 3 just for you. 

48 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Without looking anyone on the Padres atrocious staff is capable of giving up multi dong games.

Edited by Cmilne23

Now this is starting to get exciting again. Giancarlo, welcome back to the fantasy elite. :)

He could go on a monster binge for a few months now, buckle up folks. 

30 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Could be a prime sell high time if you don't believe he will stay healthy for a full season (I don't). 

At least wait for the binge to finish first! :)

1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Could be a prime sell high time if you don't believe he will stay healthy for a full season (I don't). 

one of his injuries was getting nailed in the head by a pitch.. something that shouldnt make him more prone to being injured.. injuries happen to the best of them and i have hope he will stay healthy throughout the year

30 minutes ago, bronxbombers723 said:

one of his injuries was getting nailed in the head by a pitch.. something that shouldnt make him more prone to being injured.. injuries happen to the best of them and i have hope he will stay healthy throughout the year

Bingo. Stanton was a wildly undervalued commodity on draft day because of the false narrative that he's "injury prone." Hard to make that argument in light of the injuries. When he starts hurting himself on dirt bikes we can talk.