brockpapersizer

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

Interestingly his K% is down to 23.6% which is so far below his usual. Career 28.3% and around 30% for the last 2 seasons. 

Contact% up 8% to 74% from last couple years. O-Swing down, Z-Swing up. 

BABIP is at .265 though and it's a career .320 BABIP. 

If these changes hold up, he could hit .290 this year. 

I just realized they've batted him 2nd in the lineup yesterday and today.

What's that about?

1 minute ago, Fiveohnine said:

I just realized they've batted him 2nd in the lineup yesterday and today.

What's that about?

I honestly think they are just trying to switch things up to help their lineup get going.  It also might help Stanton see some better pitches. 

Really hope the Marlins aren't lying to us and GS is fine.  Wasn't like he was having a bad game and needed a breather last night...he homered...now is out again today..

Good thing for me is if he hits the DL I can finally pull the trigger on trading him.  I have owned him since mid way through 2011 and hes been on the DL every season I think. 

If anyone's had cramp they'll know that it doesn't lead to DL stints. Chill the panic geez, he'll be back in tomorrow and resume his recent mashing ways.

10 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Just want to say he's been awesome lately 

Mevins says something positive.  Injury ensues.  Dammit Mevins!

7 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

If anyone's had cramp they'll know that it doesn't lead to DL stints. Chill the panic geez, he'll be back in tomorrow and resume his recent mashing ways.

Except we are talking about a guy who averages a 109 games a year. Less than 100 the last two of three. 

You have to agree to an extent that there is some fluky-ness to some of these injuries...baseball to the face, HBP on the hand, etc.  Even a season-ending groin injury is bizarre to me.  I wouldn't consider him as much injury-prone as I would just unlucky.  Granted, he's had varying other injuries from quad/hammy to knee and shoulder, but the recent season-enders were fluky to me...including the groin.  I think there's the general perception now as a result of recent injuries that the smallest thing is going to amount to a long absence.  In reality, I don't think GS has a dark cloud following him around.  Hopefully, these 'cramps' are just that and nothing more.  This needs to be the year he sheds that perceived injury-prone label.  Missing extended time for cramps will definitely not help that though!

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Mevins says something positive.  Injury ensues.  Dammit Mevins!

Seriously came to post the same. Saw this earlier this morning and wanted to immediately put him on the trading block. Too late. Thanks, Mevins...

1 hour ago, Yceman1234 said:

You have to agree to an extent that there is some fluky-ness to some of these injuries...baseball to the face, HBP on the hand, etc.  Even a season-ending groin injury is bizarre to me.  I wouldn't consider him as much injury-prone as I would just unlucky.  Granted, he's had varying other injuries from quad/hammy to knee and shoulder, but the recent season-enders were fluky to me...including the groin.  I think there's the general perception now as a result of recent injuries that the smallest thing is going to amount to a long absence.  In reality, I don't think GS has a dark cloud following him around.  Hopefully, these 'cramps' are just that and nothing more.  This needs to be the year he sheds that perceived injury-prone label.  Missing extended time for cramps will definitely not help that though!

The only perception is reality. The guy can't stay healthy.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Stanton has been excellent so far. His K% is a good 5-6% lower than the past couple of seasons. Just stay healthy, big guy.

He's really taken off since he was moved to the 2-hole. I thought it was weird at first, but now I see how much it benefits him. 

Still baffles me after all this time in the league he cant figure out how to hit consistently.  1 HR and 2 rbi in the last 8 games.  K's all over the place. 

10 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Still baffles me after all this time in the league he cant figure out how to hit consistently.  1 HR and 2 rbi in the last 8 games.  K's all over the place. 

Hitting a 92+ mph small moving object isn't easy.  In fact it's probably hardest thing in all of sports.  Guys who fail 70% of time in baseball are considered the elite.  He's been very good this year.  

Just now, Cmilne23 said:

Hitting a 92+ mph small moving object isn't easy.  In fact it's probably hardest thing in all of sports.  Guys who fail 70% of time in baseball are considered the elite.  He's been very good this year.  

He's a run producer not a singles hitter.  Hes got 3 hrs and 13 rbi over the last month.  Thats terrible for a player of his caliber. 

14 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Still baffles me that people play H2H baseball, then whine about "inconsistency" among players.

On pace for .281/98/42/109 Which would be career highs in HR, runs, & RBI. Whining about him at this point is literally nuts. 

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Still baffles me that people play H2H baseball, then whine about "inconsistency" among players.

On pace for .281/98/42/109 Which would be career highs in HR, runs, & RBI. Whining about him at this point is literally nuts. 

Because who wants to draft and then barely look at your team again till then end of the season?  Boooorrrrriiiinnnggggg.  Consistency is consistency.  He hasnt displayed that this year.  Not only does inconsistency suck as far as him being a fantasy player it helps his team less.

3 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Because who wants to draft and then barely look at your team again till then end of the season?  Boooorrrrriiiinnnggggg.  Consistency is consistency.  He hasnt displayed that this year.  Not only does inconsistency suck as far as him being a fantasy player it helps his team less.

Won't get into the roto v. H2H debate, but the whiners are definitely H2H players with ADD. 

The problem is this is a 162 game season. I assume you haven't been around baseball very long. Literally every player goes through highs and lows. You notice it more when it's your players. You'll get that soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Won't get into the roto v. H2H debate, but the whiners are definitely H2H players with ADD. 

The problem is this is a 162 game season. I assume you haven't been around baseball very long. Literally every player goes through highs and lows. You notice it more when it's your players. You'll get that soon enough. 

Haha.  Very long.  Nearly 30 years chief.  Id use the ole "Ive forgotten more than most people know", but I dont forget things.  I know all too well about highs and lows.  His problem is his lows last MUCH longer than his highs.  Like I said, No consistency.  He never makes the adjustments.  Im guessing you havent watched the insane amount of sliders he flails at like hes got his eyes closed.  I'm talking the ones you can see arent a strike from the second it leaves the ptichers hand.  He makes up his mind to swing and hopes its a fastball.  Watched him a few times this year swing and miss at 92 straight as an arrow right down the pipe as well. 

Edited by jdbob11