brockpapersizer

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Won't get into the roto v. H2H debate, but the whiners are definitely H2H players with ADD. 

The problem is this is a 162 game season. I assume you haven't been around baseball very long. Literally every player goes through highs and lows. You notice it more when it's your players. You'll get that soon enough. 

Plenty of streaky players around. Harper is another great example.

1 hour ago, jdbob11 said:

Because who wants to draft and then barely look at your team again till then end of the season?  Boooorrrrriiiinnnggggg.  Consistency is consistency.  He hasnt displayed that this year.  Not only does inconsistency suck as far as him being a fantasy player it helps his team less.

No player is ever going to be consistent weekly with their stats in baseball. Giancarlo is on pace for 42 HR's and 109 RBI as @Backdoor Slider pointed out. Over the course of an MLB season, that is approximately 1.68 HR's per week and 4.36 RBI per week.

Over the last 30 days he's hit 4 HR, and 13 RBI which is roughly at a 1 HR per week, 3.25 RBI per week clip while hitting .316.

The 30 days before that? 8 HR's and 20 RBI. Roughly a 2 HR per week and 5 RBI per week clip and he hit .260. 

For someone that has watched baseball as long as you have, how have you not figured out that stats don't trickle in week to week? Actually you'd probably complain that he never goes off in one week and is so borrrinnnggg to own with one to two HR's every week. 

Edited by lbjames6

19 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

No player is ever going to be consistent weekly with their stats in baseball. Giancarlo is on pace for 42 HR's and 109 RBI as @Backdoor Slider pointed out. Over the course of an MLB season, that is approximately 1.68 HR's per week and 4.36 RBI per week.

Over the last 30 days he's hit 4 HR, and 13 RBI which is roughly at a 1 HR per week, 3.25 RBI per week clip while hitting .316.

The 30 days before that? 8 HR's and 20 RBI. Roughly a 2 HR per week and 5 RBI per week clip and he hit .260. 

For someone that has watched baseball as long as you have, how have you not figured out that stats don't trickle in week to week? Actually you'd probably complain that he never goes off in one week and is so borrrinnnggg to own with one to two HR's every week. 

And I missed 3 HR's and 5 RBI that were right in between the last 30 days and the 30 days before that so that'll change the per average numbers but the point still remains the same. 

Edited by lbjames6

I hope that homer traveled 450+ feet.  Wouldn't want it to be a boring shot.

18 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I hope that homer traveled 450+ feet.  Wouldn't want it to be a boring shot.

If he could hit exactly 1.5 HR & 4 RBI each week, that would be great. 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, jdbob11 said:

Out of the game after being hit on the hand. 

Great....

If this ends up being his 5th straight season or whatever it is with a DL trip Im finally going to trade him.

Appeared to take himself out of the game. 96 mph fastball. Was visibly in pain and frustrated. Looks like it hit him on the bottom of the right wrist, pinky side. Wasn't a typical HBP on the top of the left hand, with all those thin little bones. Here's hoping it hit a big bone and just swells up a bit and he goes on the DL for the 10-day minimum.

17 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

If this ends up being his 5th straight season or whatever it is with a DL trip Im finally going to trade him.

See? He is consistent!

You cannot call him injury prone from something like this. It's literally out of his control. Still very frustrating though. 

11 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

You cannot call him injury prone from something like this. It's literally out of his control. Still very frustrating though. 

He's had his fair share of bad luck.  Getting hit in face, getting hbp in hand.  Can't really fault him for those.  Troy Tulowitzki and all the soft tissue injuries is injury prone.  Stanton is somewhere in beteeen that and unlucky. Hope he escapes with just a contusion.

Just now, meh2 said:

X-rays negative per beat writer 

Means nothing. MRI will be the better judge 

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

X-rays negative per beat writer 

All that means is that it's not a major break.  Most of the time fractures are detected by MRI.

2 minutes ago, cad300 said:

Means nothing. MRI will be the better judge 

Actually, I've been a physical therapist in sports medicine settings for over 15 years so yes, it actually does mean something. It's good news for Stanton owners. Time will tell but he most likely won't be sent for an MRI and will be day to day until the pain and swelling calm down.

6 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Actually, I've been a physical therapist in sports medicine settings for over 15 years so yes, it actually does mean something. It's good news for Stanton owners. Time will tell but he most likely won't be sent for an MRI and will be day to day until the pain and swelling calm down.

Mike Trout's x-rays were negative on his thumb.

3 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Ya but Trout tore a ligament, Stanton got hit with a pitch. I'd imagine that the odds of Stanton tearing a ligament is basically on a HBP is basically 0

6 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they "inclusive" and that's why he was sent for an MRI?  

Edit no they were negative.  But they detected a sprain, so they were negative for breaks.  Assuming same thing for Stanton?

Edited by Cmilne23

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they "inclusive" and that's why he was sent for an MRI?  

They were negative. 

As a general rule, X-rays are preferred imaging for seeing bone (e.g. fractures) and MRI for observing soft tissue (e.g. sprains). Mike Trout had ligament damage to his thumb. The X-rays came back clean showing no fracture; the MRI later revealed a tear in his UCL. 

This is good news in the sense that it most likely rules out a fracture for Stanton (it is possible to miss fractures when swelling is bad). 

The even better news is that this kind of blunt injury does not usually result in ligament damage. Ligament damage is a result of stress to ligaments, often from bending. So Trout tears a ligament sliding into a base. 

Insofar as there isn't a fracture, we're hopefully looking at just a bone bruise (or nothing). 

4 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

They were negative. 

As a general rule, X-rays are preferred imaging for seeing bone (e.g. fractures) and MRI for observing soft tissue (e.g. sprains). Mike Trout had ligament damage to his thumb. The X-rays came back clean showing no fracture; the MRI later revealed a tear in his UCL. 

This is good news in the sense that it most likely rules out a fracture for Stanton (it is possible to miss fractures when swelling is bad). 

The even better news is that this kind of blunt injury does not usually result in ligament damage. Ligament damage is a result of stress to ligaments, often from bending. So Trout tears a ligament sliding into a base. 

Insofar as there isn't a fracture, we're hopefully looking at just a bone bruise (or nothing). 

Yes, this. My phone died as I was responding. It's good news for Stanton owners.