battaginlemon

Jerami Grant 2016-2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

Any thoughts on this guy? He had nice all-around production last year, 9.7pts 4.7reb 1.8ast 0.7stl 1.6blk playing 26mpg. His %s were pretty bad, but he improved a lot compared to his rookie year and might improve further. It looks like he's going to get decent minutes at both Forward spots this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him for 14 teamers + not really in standard 12 man leagues. He's a cheap source of blocks but bad percentages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny to me, he's not getting nearly enough love around here. You have a guy who is only 22 years old, oozing athleticism, and is working on his jumpshot tirelessly. Little known secret? He shot 77% FTs this preseason on huge volume (5.4 makes / 7 attempts).. that is not a small sample size at all for 5 games considering the volume. I'm tanking FG any way, but I'm not tanking FT, so if he's doing well in FT it is exactly what I was looking for with him improving his jumpshot (which Brett Brown said he's been working on all summer). 

What else? He fills it up in several categories and still has upside for some 3's as a 1 / 1 / 1 type guy (in April he shot 1.3 3's per game on 42% 3 pt FG!!!). Look at his April line: 15 / 4.4 / 2 / 1 / 1.6 and 1.3 threes.. With simmons out for 3-4 months + rehab time this guy could be gold as a multi position guy. I got him 12th round and I'm stoked, especially after seeing all the multi cat 13 / 4 / 3 / 1.4 / 1  lines he's dropping in preseason on top of good FT%. 

 

I cannot believe how underrated he is considering how many sleepers are talked about in these forums, Grant is exactly the type of guy I like to supplement my blocks with (I have Towns / Porzingis / Nurk / Kaminsky in my 14 man). He's a Josh Smith type and seems like he actually has a ceiling for better shooting (his jumpshot form isn't bad when you watch him). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

It's funny to me, he's not getting nearly enough love around here. You have a guy who is only 22 years old, oozing athleticism, and is working on his jumpshot tirelessly. Little known secret? He shot 77% FTs this preseason on huge volume (5.4 makes / 7 attempts).. that is not a small sample size at all for 5 games considering the volume. I'm tanking FG any way, but I'm not tanking FT, so if he's doing well in FT it is exactly what I was looking for with him improving his jumpshot (which Brett Brown said he's been working on all summer). 

What else? He fills it up in several categories and still has upside for some 3's as a 1 / 1 / 1 type guy (in April he shot 1.3 3's per game on 42% 3 pt FG!!!). Look at his April line: 15 / 4.4 / 2 / 1 / 1.6 and 1.3 threes.. With simmons out for 3-4 months + rehab time this guy could be gold as a multi position guy. I got him 12th round and I'm stoked, especially after seeing all the multi cat 13 / 4 / 3 / 1.4 / 1  lines he's dropping in preseason on top of good FT%. 

 

I cannot believe how underrated he is considering how many sleepers are talked about in these forums, Grant is exactly the type of guy I like to supplement my blocks with (I have Towns / Porzingis / Nurk / Kaminsky in my 14 man). He's a Josh Smith type and seems like he actually has a ceiling for better shooting (his jumpshot form isn't bad when you watch him). 

 

 

I drafted him in two-thirds of my leagues. He's definitely a little known secret and he's heading into his third year. With the whole Noel thing, he could be in for a sizable role early on at least. He's a stat sheet stuffer like you said and his jumper looks more fluid. Really excited to see what he can do this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

It's funny to me, he's not getting nearly enough love around here.

Most of us aren't playing in 16+ team leagues. Enjoy the blocks, you won't get much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Most of us aren't playing in 16+ team leagues. Enjoy the blocks, you won't get much else.

 

Except I just talked about how he does a lot more than just block and has upside and is showing flashes of it through April and this Preseason.. so you basically either didn't read the rest of the post or you just conveniently ignored that to fit your own narrative. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

It's funny to me, he's not getting nearly enough love around here. You have a guy who is only 22 years old, oozing athleticism, and is working on his jumpshot tirelessly. Little known secret? He shot 77% FTs this preseason on huge volume (5.4 makes / 7 attempts).. that is not a small sample size at all for 5 games considering the volume. I'm tanking FG any way, but I'm not tanking FT, so if he's doing well in FT it is exactly what I was looking for with him improving his jumpshot (which Brett Brown said he's been working on all summer). 

What else? He fills it up in several categories and still has upside for some 3's as a 1 / 1 / 1 type guy (in April he shot 1.3 3's per game on 42% 3 pt FG!!!). Look at his April line: 15 / 4.4 / 2 / 1 / 1.6 and 1.3 threes.. With simmons out for 3-4 months + rehab time this guy could be gold as a multi position guy. I got him 12th round and I'm stoked, especially after seeing all the multi cat 13 / 4 / 3 / 1.4 / 1  lines he's dropping in preseason on top of good FT%. 

 

I cannot believe how underrated he is considering how many sleepers are talked about in these forums, Grant is exactly the type of guy I like to supplement my blocks with (I have Towns / Porzingis / Nurk / Kaminsky in my 14 man). He's a Josh Smith type and seems like he actually has a ceiling for better shooting (his jumpshot form isn't bad when you watch him). 

 

Completely agree. I got him in the last round of my 14-team keeper league and I was kinda surprised. He's definitely worth a flier, and has great upside. And if you think about it, 42% FG isn't that bad for a sophomore, and as you said hit FT% is getting better and better.

 

I find it hilarious that glue guys like Beverley, Danny Green, Robert Covington and even KJ McDaniels (last season) tend to be extremely hiped thanks to their all-around production, and people are rightfully willing to ignore their lor scoring and/or bad shooting, but then when it comes to Grant we get comment like this one:

 

7 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Most of us aren't playing in 16+ team leagues. Enjoy the blocks, you won't get much else.

 

He was ranked #15 in blocks per game last season. Even if he gave you just blocks (not true) he'd be worth rostering imho. People are picking up players like Bogut, Hibbert, Henson just for the blocks and this guy, who can give you elite blocks + you way better production in other categories, gets ignored?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 24/10/2016 at 0:28 AM, snerpy said:

I like him for 14 teamers + not really in standard 12 man leagues. He's a cheap source of blocks but bad percentages.

 

Fun fact: last season Jeramy Grant had better FG% and FT%, less TO and more PPG and BLK than Jusuf Nurkic.

 

(Not meant to be a personal attack, but I find it funny that guys like Nurkic are extremely hyped this season, while Grant is getting completely ignored. Of course there's a big difference between the two, one was a rookie and the other a sophomore and they don't even play the same roles, but it puts things into perspective)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That might be because Nurkic has a clear role and will probably be a starter, while Grant doesn't have a clear role or position and will be fighting to get decent minutes.

Edited by PuzzBeterson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

That might be because Nurkic has a clear role and will probably be a starter, while Grant doesn't have a clear role or position and will be fighting to get decent minutes.

 

I don't know about "fighting".. he's been getting good minutes last year and I presume the same will happen this year. Brown has been raving about him, saying he's really improving his playmaking and handling and he wants to put the ball in his hands more.

 

With Simmons out he's backing up 2 positions to Saric / Covington, and Saric is a rookie so there is a chance he fizzles. Grant has no one to fight with to back up two spots, he's suitable for today's NBA style, I like Richaun Holmes but I don't think it's his time yet. 

 

 

Edited by Lifschitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

 

I don't know about "fighting".. he's been getting good minutes last year and I presume the same will happen this year. Brown has been raving about him, saying he's really improving his playmaking and handling and he wants to put the ball in his hands more.

 

With Simmons out he's backing up 2 positions to Saric / Covington, and Saric is a rookie so there is a chance he fizzles. Grant has no one to fight with to back up two spots, he's suitable for today's NBA style, I like Richaun Holmes but I don't think it's his time yet. 

 

 

 

I believe he's only gotten more competition for minutes compared to last year. The Sixer's frontcourt has only become more crowded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, battaginlemon said:

 

Completely agree. I got him in the last round of my 14-team keeper league and I was kinda surprised. He's definitely worth a flier, and has great upside. And if you think about it, 42% FG isn't that bad for a sophomore, and as you said hit FT% is getting better and better.

 

I find it hilarious that glue guys like Beverley, Danny Green, Robert Covington and even KJ McDaniels (last season) tend to be extremely hiped thanks to their all-around production, and people are rightfully willing to ignore their lor scoring and/or bad shooting, but then when it comes to Grant we get comment like this one:

 

 

He was ranked #15 in blocks per game last season. Even if he gave you just blocks (not true) he'd be worth rostering imho. People are picking up players like Bogut, Hibbert, Henson just for the blocks and this guy, who can give you elite blocks + you way better production in other categories, gets ignored?

Agree with ever you said except calling Bogut just a blocks guy. He's much more than that. He'll likely get close to 9rpg, 3apg, 2bpg on great FG without hurting your FT. That's extremely valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

That might be because Nurkic has a clear role and will probably be a starter, while Grant doesn't have a clear role or position and will be fighting to get decent minutes.

Nurkic is on the Nuggets.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

Nurkic is on the Nuggets.....?

 

Guess you didn't keep up with the correspondence, he's responding to the other poster saying people are more hyped about Nurk but Grant had better stats last season with room to grow for this year. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

 

Except I just talked about how he does a lot more than just block and has upside and is showing flashes of it through April and this Preseason.. so you basically either didn't read the rest of the post or you just conveniently ignored that to fit your own narrative. 

 

 

I think I just found the operative words.

 

It doesn't matter what you talked about or what you think, it matters what's going to actually happen. You don't understand how statistics work. Huge volume over a sample of 5 games IS a small sample size. When given the option, I'm expecting a slight improvement on last year with more of the same by-and-large from the line. Congratulations if you happen to be right, but that's not how evaluating statistical data works, and I'm guessing you won't be.

 

As for the several statistical categories he "fills it up" in, frankly, I think we'd all love to know which categories they are. His per36s are pretty bad across the board but, again, you're hinging your prognosis on preseason, where he seems to be helping you in...wait for it...blocks and little else. He likely won't crack 4 rebounds, horrible for someone whose specialist stat is a big man stat, he'll shoot 42% from the field which will kill you anywhere, and he'll probably be terrible from the line again, killing you there.

 

You want to use him as a late round flier in a normal-sized league? Go ahead. But he'll probably destroy your percentages if you're in H2H and I can think of about 20 better upside options that'll be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, battaginlemon said:

He was ranked #15 in blocks per game last season. Even if he gave you just blocks (not true) he'd be worth rostering imho. People are picking up players like Bogut, Hibbert, Henson just for the blocks and this guy, who can give you elite blocks + you way better production in other categories, gets ignored?

Are you kidding? Bogut will play more, likely more than double Grant in rebounds, shoot about 16% better from the field, practically never go to the line and hurt you there, get more assists, get more steals, and get more blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like grant just because i play a lot of 16 man league... I need his blocks.... My only wish is he improve his free throw shooting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, v1n5anity said:

Agree with ever you said except calling Bogut just a blocks guy. He's much more than that. He'll likely get close to 9rpg, 3apg, 2bpg on great FG without hurting your FT. That's extremely valuable.

 

Yeah I was actually referring to his recent stats in GS, slightly more than 5-7-2 with 1.7bpg. But I agree he's not "just a blocks guy", exactly as Jerami isn't either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A clearer path to playing time now with the Thunder.

 

Worth a flier if available. Was nice value in fantasy playoffs last year when given time. Thunder really like this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jerami Grant traded to OKC. Ersan to Philly. Jerami would probably start. But he should still get 20ish mins even with Kanter. Somewhat mixed with Sabonis and King Joffrey there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, andriask said:

Jerami Grant traded to OKC. Ersan to Philly. Jerami would probably start. But he should still get 20ish mins even with Kanter. Somewhat mixed with Sabonis and King Joffrey there too. 

 

Agreed, I think Grant starts soon (if not immediately) but probably doesn't crack 30+ minutes, at least not right away. His history of stocks makes him hard to pass up, definitely worth a flier if you have trash to swap for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

 

Agreed, I think Grant starts soon (if not immediately) but probably doesn't crack 30+ minutes, at least not right away. His history of stocks makes him hard to pass up, definitely worth a flier if you have trash to swap for.

I think he will end up getting similar stats to last year when he gets 20+ mins. More when Kanter can't defend or in foul trouble. Very good stocks for limited time but hurts you in % and TO. Not bad pick, but my roster is too full to even consider dropping someone else for him. My worse player is Mudiay/Dunn/Sergio. Another league is Dedmon, who will have much higher ceiling if/when Pau is out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.