Fuzzy_Slippers

Trea Turner 2017 Outlook

The hype is unreal. Just went 5th overall in one of my more competitive leagues, following Trout, Bryant, Betts, and Goldschmidt.

9 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

I was thinking of taking him mid second round.  I have the 7th pick overall.  Should I take him there? 

It depends on what type of numbers you think he will put up.  For me it's a yes inside the top 15 picks. 

I think 40+ SB's with about 100 R's with Bryce and Murphy behind him.  HR's could be 12 - 15 and RBI's 50+.

For me it comes down to batting average which I think he can hit around .290 based on his minor league numbers and his MLB numbers last year.

On 3/24/2017 at 0:11 PM, Dylanfan66 said:

I was thinking of taking him mid second round.  I have the 7th pick overall.  Should I take him there? 

He won't be available mid second in most leagues.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:09 AM, CraftyRighty said:

Find it hard to believe folks think Turner will hit 20 HR's this year

Based on his track record, his swing, and the pitcher he hit HR's off of last year 15 is best case scenario. By no means am I arguing he is not a stud, dude is awesome but I have read that some folks are talking 20-25 HR's and that is nuts IMO

Why not?  Guy hit 13 in half a season in the majors.  Track record is just the snap shot of a kid growing into manhood in the minors.  Growing physically and mentally.  Learning his craft.  I go by the most recent data available for young players.  And that was his half year in the majors last year.  Also two dingers in spring training today says hello to all the doubters just for fun, hah.

I think I'd rather take Marte's proven track record at the discounted price. That early in the draft, I'd trade Turner's upside for the warm, fuzzy, safe feeling that Marte's track record provides. Especially considering that Marte can be had in the late 2nd, opposed to Turner's rising cost which is likely mid-late 1st. 

Obviously rankings vary, but I'd rather pair Marte with a 1st rounder, than getting Turner and whatever else is left in the 2nd(assuming 12 team). Their ADP isn't too much different, but Marte is still cheaper and a much safer bet. 

Using ESPN, I've been comparing Donaldson/Rizzo in the 1st with Marte in the 2nd VS Turner in the 1st with Votto/Encarnacion in the 2nd. I feel much better about my team coming away with Rizzo/Marte. 

I just got this guy 20th overall. Should I celebrate now? I guess my leaguemates don't follow the hype on the interwebs.

58 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I just got this guy 20th overall. Should I celebrate now? I guess my leaguemates don't follow the hype on the interwebs.

That's great value.  I was able to take advantage of a situation in my NL Only League this off-season where a guy that had Turner also had 4 other Top 15 guys in a league where it's a hard keeper amount of 4.  I was able to get him for a relative discount.

7 hours ago, Trifecta said:

I got him at 15. Kinda uneasy about it. Hopefully he can stay consistent all year. I took him over Miggy, Rizzo, and Blackmon. Already having Arenado played into that, but still...I put a huge vote of confidence in him. Looks like others did too.

14 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

He won't be available mid second in most leagues.

He might.  In a daily 10 man league.  I might be able to get him with the 15 or 16th pick.

3 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

He might.  In a daily 10 man league.  I might be able to get him with the 15 or 16th pick.

Fell to #24 in one of my leagues.  I couldn't take him fast enough at that spot.  

"Must have" with him I think equates to a 1st rounder...take someone safe in round 2. Or double down on risk again cuz its fantasy and YoLo!

I forgot about lawrie. Great comp. u just planted the first seed of doubt I've had all year.

Edited by Phreedom32

Where was Lawrie bein drafted after his first cup of coffee?  I don't remember that year.

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Where was Lawrie bein drafted after his first cup of coffee?  I don't remember that year.

Third round

just letting you know turner had twice as many abs as lawrie in his rookie year 150 ab to 300 ab and trea was up the year before to get his feet wet

Edited by colepenhagen

Just now, colepenhagen said:

just letting you know turner had twice as many abs as lawrie in his rookie year 150 ab to 300 ab and trea was up the year before to get his feet wet

I'm not worried about Turner turning into a Lowrie type whatsoever.  

Just now, smeeze said:

I'm not worried about Turner turning into a Lowrie type whatsoever.  

yea my bad ment  to quotes that other dude

10 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

yea my bad ment  to quotes that other dude

All good man

2 hours ago, AroundTheHorn said:

That escalated quickly (his draft stock). Brett Lawrie anyone? LOL.

Don't you dare put that evil on Trea.  Don't you do it.

I'm praying he falls to me at 17, but I have a funny feeling the guy with 12/13 is gonna snag him.

Having him as one of three keepers is a lot easier than pulling the trigger on him in round one or two. I'm thrilled to have him but not sure how wise it is to invest a top 15 pick in him. First round I want a guarantee. Round two I want someone that could be a guarantee going into next season. Round 3 is when I'd probably be ready to gamble on TT

4 hours ago, charliehustler said:

Having him as one of three keepers is a lot easier than pulling the trigger on him in round one or two. I'm thrilled to have him but not sure how wise it is to invest a top 15 pick in him. First round I want a guarantee. Round two I want someone that could be a guarantee going into next season. Round 3 is when I'd probably be ready to gamble on TT

Then you will never own him.  He will be long gone.