Fuzzy_Slippers

Trea Turner 2017 Outlook

Just now, taobball said:

Delino Deshields is an awful baseball player though. I don' tknow if you were in that thread last year but me and SpecialFNK went at it a lot over Deshields. He's awful and has terrible intangibles/make-up too according to various reports. 

Speed guy with elite BB% and a tiny bit of pop...I thought he could put up Villar type numbers if everything broke right. Obviously was wrong, but I thought the floor would still at least be useful.

Just now, fawkes_mulder said:

Speed guy with elite BB% and a tiny bit of pop...I thought he could put up Villar type numbers if everything broke right. Obviously was wrong, but I thought the floor would still at least be useful.

Listen, I blew quite a few calls last year, Corey Dickerson as a massive sleeper to name the biggest probably, but Delino was one that I patted my self on the back for profusely throughout the year. I saw that one coming from a mile away. The dude is just really bad at actual ball things. He is fast, yes, and he has a decent eye, yes, but in terms of using a bat, playing defense, or actual baseball skills, very very light skill-set IMO. I expected him to get sent down to the minors by June. 

But I don't wanna derail any further on it. 

Where do you guys think he'll bat in the lineup this season?  Lead-off?  Two-hole?  Where did he hit mostly last year?  Does Adam Eaton impact that?

3 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Where do you guys think he'll bat in the lineup this season?  Lead-off?  Two-hole?  Where did he hit mostly last year?  Does Adam Eaton impact that?

He and Eaton should be 1-2 or, 2-1.  I'm guessing Trea will bat lead-off.

8 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Personally I'd bat him second (which is also best for his fantasy value in my opinion) but I expect him to bat leadoff

Everybody and their mother is jumping on this kid's bandwagon.  I'm seeing him in some top ten preseason rankings already.  I'm not buying the hype at all.

15 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

Everybody and their mother is jumping on this kid's bandwagon.  I'm seeing him in some top ten preseason rankings already.  I'm not buying the hype at all.

Potential for 50+ SB's, 15+ homeruns and .300+ BA?? In that lineup as well he'll get a lot of runs. At the SS position. Man can't wait for him to be on my team and my third keeper with Bryant and Arenado. Perfect compliment

15 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

Okay but what does that mean? What do you reasonably expect then or what expectation do you find reasonable?

3 hours ago, taobball said:

Okay but what does that mean? What do you reasonably expect then or what expectation do you find reasonable?

.305-.315/ 110/ 15/ 65/ 40 .370 OBP/ .470 SLG

9 hours ago, taobball said:

I think he'll have a good season, but, I don't think he'll blow anybody away with jaw dropping numbers across the board.  I'll concede stolen bases, because the kid is crazy fast.  I don't buy the 15-20 home runs or 70 runs batted in projections I've seen on some sites.  I can see a solid average/on base percentage, high run totals and upwards of 60 stolen bases.

1 minute ago, 96GOAT said:

I think he'll have a good season, but, I don't think he'll blow anybody away with jaw dropping numbers across the board.  I'll concede stolen bases, because the kid is crazy fast.  I don't buy the 15-20 home runs or 70 runs batted in projections I've seen on some sites.  I can see a solid average/on base percentage, high run totals and upwards of 60 stolen bases.

But if he gets 60 SB...that would likely return him a 2nd round value or better. So I don't think your projection aligns with your initial post about not buying the hype.

6 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

But if he gets 60 SB...that would likely return him a 2nd round value or better. So I don't think your projection aligns with your initial post about not buying the hype.

^

6 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

And if he ends up with 50+ SB, 100R and say 50rbi, along with a high OBP and avg... That's amazing

1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

And if he ends up with 50+ SB, 100R and say 50rbi, along with a high OBP and avg... That's amazing

^

these boys get it.

I saw that Zips and XStats are predicting him for a BA in the .280 range with a lowish OBP.  Do you think the astronomical BABIP will come down that much?

I might flip a coin the day before deadline for keepers if this guy or Correa...Carlos power plus walk ability might be too much to say no to

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

2 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

He hit 13 homers in a half season (307 ABs) so why do you think he won't hit 15-20 homers in a full season?  Did he not eat his Wheaties over the winter?

17 hours ago, Drod1381 said:

I'm in a keeper league where we can keep 5 players.....

Welcome to the boards, but these type questions belong in the Bench Coach Forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of answers over there

On 1/11/2017 at 9:38 PM, mysonx3 said:

Personally I'd bat him second (which is also best for his fantasy value in my opinion) but I expect him to bat leadoff

I think in terms of steals we want Trea leadoff so Eatons good OBP isnt clogging up the bases. Think 2nd might be a better move for the Nats, but for fantasy leadoff would be much better for his steals.

I wouldn't pick him in the first round. Yes, he was great last season, but there is risk here. Obviously, his sample size is very small and projecting what he did last year over a full season (i.e. Correa last year) is dangerous. I think most people on here are smart enough to realize that regression is coming, but I'd feel more comfortable taking Harper, Rizzo, Miggy, Donaldson towards the back end of the first round just to name a few. There's also the risk that if he goes through a real rough patch he could get moved down towards the bottom of the lineup where the pitcher spot would obviously limit his stolen base opps and counting stats. In a redraft, mid to late second round I'd take the gamble but definitely pass in late first/early second

14 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

I wouldn't pick him in the first round. Yes, he was great last season, but there is risk here. Obviously, his sample size is very small and projecting what he did last year over a full season (i.e. Correa last year) is dangerous. I think most people on here are smart enough to realize that regression is coming, but I'd feel more comfortable taking Harper, Rizzo, Miggy, Donaldson towards the back end of the first round just to name a few. There's also the risk that if he goes through a real rough patch he could get moved down towards the bottom of the lineup where the pitcher spot would obviously limit his stolen base opps and counting stats. In a redraft, mid to late second round I'd take the gamble but definitely pass in late first/early second

What about Correa

13 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

What about Correa

I have him and Turner valued similarly at the moment. I was surprised to see that Turner's ADP has crept into the first round, you're really paying for what he did in those 73 games last year. I'm not saying I completely dislike him as I'd start considering him around pick 15 or so, but I think it's a mistake picking him over the guys I mentioned above