Hollywood42

Jose Berrios 2017 Outlook

Just now, rich22 said:

whatever that is.   sounds good.  how is iffb pronounced?

Infield Fly Ball.  Pop ups.

Looked great, I watched most of the game.  Had good body language and stuff has lots of movement.  Got ahead of hitters and made quick work of the Indians.  About as good as you could have hoped, didn't start him today but he's earned a spot in my active rotation.

3 minutes ago, rich22 said:

whatever that is.   sounds good.  how is iffb pronounced?

Infield fly balls????

Yep, infield fly balls (i.e. popups). Interesting article on IFFB on fangraphs a few years ago and how they thought about adding it to the FIP formula: Fangraphs: Infield flies, FIP, and WAR.

13 fly ball outs by my count, seemed like the Indians hitters got wood on every single pitch they swung at. Idk doesn't seem like he has swing and miss 'stuff'. He faced a slumping offense which is good for confidence but I'm not sold on this guy long term, the Ks have to be there if he wants sustained success. 

He gets the Rockies for his home debut next, followed by @Bal.

It's probably a safe assumption that I made a mistake when I declined that Berrios for Glasnow trade that was proposed to me before one pitch was thrown this season.

Whoops.

3 minutes ago, CAT said:

He gets the Rockies for his home debut next, followed by @Bal.

Rox at home is a good get.    Probably benchable @ Balt, but we will see

Edited by rich22

Only 3k is a little discouraging but at the same time this game means a lot moving forward. Not even 100 pitches and he goes 7 strong? I love it! Top 25 SP ROS

Out for the 8th at 93 pitches! Gotta love the trust Molitor is putting in the kid.

5 minutes ago, BJays1993 said:

Out for the 8th at 93 pitches! Gotta love the trust Molitor is putting in the kid.

Gets the 4th K on a 95 mph heater and he's done after 7.2  Still responsible for the runner in scoring position...

7 2/3 1ER 2 hit.... so glad I picked up this kid 2 weeks ago . Well worth the wait . 

Just now, spivey17323 said:

Watch the relief pitcher will promptly give up a hit

Or....he'll get him out on 1 pitch.

13 minutes ago, zingzing said:

13 fly ball outs by my count, seemed like the Indians hitters got wood on every single pitch they swung at. Idk doesn't seem like he has swing and miss 'stuff'. He faced a slumping offense which is good for confidence but I'm not sold on this guy long term, the Ks have to be there if he wants sustained success. 

He threw mostly fastballs and they were putting the bat on the ball. The guy has always had great K numbers. I think He'll settle somewhere around 8 in terms of K/9 for the time being

Hell of a start.

Not much to complain about from Berrios perspective from this one.

Even if Cleveland isn't hitting that well, for Jose to go 7.1 IP just 1 run and walk seems like a big victory on its own considering his issues last year where he was getting rocked by good and crappy lineups. 

Only 4 K's but that is nitpicking. Perhaps him not always going for the K and inducing weak contact instead allowed him to go deeper in the game. The biggest problem for him last year was his command and tipping pitches and it looks like those issues were fixed.

Going forward I do think he will need to develop a true wipeout swing and miss pitch in order to be an elite pitcher. Can't rely on a having a .095 BABIP every game. 2.74 FIP but 5.55 xFIP.  Have to take those with a grain of salt since those formulas don't like flyballs and he gave up a lot of them. However, a decent amount were popups. xFIP is high because it assumed a league average HR/FB rate and he gave up a lot of flyballs.

Probably not an Ace but a good pitcher who should be a mixed league play, probably for years to come. Was written off in a lot of leagues based on his first year. 

Sell high to that one owner in every league that makes decisions emotionally.  Next time he's out there 4/15 fly balls will be served for HR's probably.