2ndCitySox

Greg Bird 2017 Outlook

18 minutes ago, cltubbs said:

I'm in the same situation as I too own him in a dynasty league. Think I will give him 1 more year as reports are he's expected to be the everyday first baseman in 2018. Would hate to drop him now only to see him put up numbers next year on another person's team. 

6 years ago I drafted a rookie on my dynasty team who I ended up dropping after he finished the season with a .220 BA and 5 measly HR's. The following year he hit .326 with 30 HRs and 49 SB's and ended up winning ROY. His name was Mike Trout. I see similarities with dropping Bird and will be firmly holding.

9 minutes ago, Darkthrone said:

6 years ago I drafted a rookie on my dynasty team who I ended up dropping after he finished the season with a .220 BA and 5 measly HR's. The following year he hit .326 with 30 HRs and 49 SB's and ended up winning ROY. His name was Mike Trout. I see similarities with dropping Bird and will be firmly holding.

You're really putting Bird in the same sentence as Trout? In Trout's first year he only played 40 games which explains the 5 HR, but he also had 4 steals. Trout was essentially the best player in baseball in his first full year and hasn't stopped since. Bird has good power but is nowhere close or similar to Trout.

Edited by jvfantasy

1 hour ago, jvfantasy said:

You're really putting Bird in the same sentence as Trout? In Trout's first year he only played 40 games which explains the 5 HR, but he also had 4 steals. Trout was essentially the best player in baseball in his first full year and hasn't stopped since. Bird has good power but is nowhere close or similar to Trout.

I'm hoping/assuming that was sarcasm. Needless to say, no rational person should believe that.

3 hours ago, jvfantasy said:

Bird and Trout.

There's an animal/fish related joke here somewhere.

Bird better start planning to be healthy and ready to hit next season start(this season dont even bother frazier is there). Cause if he burns out next season chance...

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Yankees' medical staff believes Greg Bird (ankle) could return in the latter half of August.
Bird had ankle surgery a couple weeks ago and it looked at the time like it was probably 50/50 at best whether he'd make it back at all this season, but now it sounds like he could return before September. The quick recovery of Bird might affect how hard the Yankees go after a first baseman, as they could just stick with Chase Headley for now rather than pursue a Yonder Alonso type. Jul 30 - 9:54 AM

He took BP today and was participating in infield drills. 

Supposedly pain free. I think he's back before September. 

1 hour ago, cltubbs said:

Back in AAA on rehab assignment...2 homers last night...good sign that he's healthy at least.

Son of a.... you're gonna make me use one of my moves for this guy again? Stop, please! 

;)

1 hour ago, MugsyBogues said:

Son of a.... you're gonna make me use one of my moves for this guy again? Stop, please! 

;)

Do it! He's going to be huge for the Yanks down the stretch. He said he expects to be back with the club next week.

18 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Do it! He's going to be huge for the Yanks down the stretch. He said he expects to be back with the club next week.

giphy.gif

Another dinger tonight in AAA. Could be up tomorrow to destroy that short porch. 

16 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Another dinger tonight in AAA. Could be up tomorrow to destroy that short porch. 

ive never given up on him, still think he has 40 homer pop in yankee stadium

Yankees fans still seem really high on this guy and think he could be a big difference maker down the stretch. Wishful thinking? Probably, but I'd say he's worth a flier in that lineup and that park.

1 hour ago, mortl said:

Hearing Castro will be activated Friday. W/ Mariners starting 2 LHP this wknd, Yankees aren't likely to activate Bird until early next week.

Which is nice.  You can quietly stash him in an open DL slot now and not waste a move next week to grab him.  That's in re-drafts of course.  Long gone otherwise.

2-2 with 2 singles tonight. pulled in his 3rd AB. getting the call back to the bigs 

Starting today.  Batting 6th. 

Will we see the promising 2016 Bird or the "what the hell happened" early 2017 Bird.  Stay tuned.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

At the very least he gets a good draw against a terrible Gallardo. I think he gets off to a good start today.

9 hours ago, DidiFan said:

At the very least he gets a good draw against a terrible Gallardo. I think he gets off to a good start today.

1/2, love the 2 walks as well

I own him in two leagues. I'm hoping he gets off to a good start and I can trade him for an upgrade somewhere else. If not may during the off season. But I'm expecting what we saw last year when he came up. I will proably put up better overall number better than Judge. But anything would  be better.