accudart

Taylor Trammell - OF CIN

10 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Going to the Padres in the 3-team Trevor Bauer trade.

It's a downgrade in terms of park, and competition for playing time will be stiffer in San Diego's loaded system.

On the other hand, Trammell has been struggling this year and maybe the Padres, who seem to know a little about developing players, can get him turned around. He'll also potentially be part of a stacked lineup down the road.

Most midseason lists have dropped him back into the 30-40 range which still isn't bad. The tools remain very impressive and he's only 21.

Huh?

I'd argue the opposite in fact, that he now has LESS competition for MLB playing time. He has less obstacles to playing time in SD. SD's farm is loaded, but thats mostly pitching and infield. Trammell easily becomes their OF prospect with biggest upside and really only Renfroe is the guaranteed starter. Guys like Margot and Myers aren't going to stand in his way if his development gets back on track.

• Like 1

The lack of game power is a red flag.

Edited by B&F

This guy seems overrated as a fantasy asset.  Maybe he has great defensive metrics, but he also doesn't have much power, gets caught stealing a lot (will probably be exposed at the MLB level), and has a sub .700 OPS in over 300 bats at AA in 2019.  

IMHO the Padres significantly overpaid.  What does this guy project to, at best Gardner, at worst Jankowski, maybe Kevin Pillar as a reasonable compromise comp?

Edited by Overlord

On 7/31/2019 at 7:57 AM, B&F said:

The lack of game power is a red flag.

23 hours ago, Overlord said:

This guy seems overrated as a fantasy asset.  Maybe he has great defensive metrics, but he also doesn't have much power, gets caught stealing a lot (will probably be exposed at the MLB level), and has a sub .700 OPS in over 300 bats at AA in 2019.  

IMHO the Padres significantly overpaid.  What does this guy project to, at best Gardner, at worst Jankowski, maybe Kevin Pillar as a reasonable compromise comp?

His power has lacked, to be sure. But his swing is practically 'downward', almost as in direct defiance to the launch angle revolution. When his line-drives catch air it's electric how his hits travel. There is 20-25 home run power in him, it just needs to be unlocked. The raw tools -- the athleticism, the bat speed, the coordination -- are elite. I love what the Padres did here. 

It would be easy to lump Trammell into that classic "freak athlete without hit tool" category that contains all the Brinsons, Broxtons, and Drew Stubbs of the world. But I think Trammell is too smart and too talented to not become an impact big league player, and a fantasy stud. I think he'll be a great player on the field, and equally as great a fantasy asset due to the wheels. 

Peak projection: .290/.358  90+ runs, 21 home runs, 73 RBI, 33 steals.    A top-35 overall fantasy player with yearly top-20 upside at his peak.  

For comparison, in dynasty I still prefer him over toolsy outfield prospects like Pache, Chisholm, JesusSanchez, Carlson, and even Kelenic - which some would think is blasphemous. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

His power has lacked, to be sure. But his swing is practically 'downward', almost as in direct defiance to the launch angle revolution. When his line-drives catch air it's electric how his hits travel. There is 20-25 home run power in him, it just needs to be unlocked. The raw tools -- the athleticism, the bat speed, the coordination -- are elite. I love what the Padres did here. 

It would be easy to lump Trammell into that classic "freak athlete without hit tool" category that contains all the Brinsons, Broxtons, and Drew Stubbs of the world. But I think Trammell is too smart and too talented to not become an impact big league player, and a fantasy stud. I think he'll be a great player on the field, and equally as great a fantasy asset due to the wheels. 

Peak projection: .290/.358  90+ runs, 21 home runs, 73 RBI, 33 steals.    A top-35 overall fantasy player with yearly top-20 upside at his peak.  

For comparison, in dynasty I still prefer him over toolsy outfield prospects like Pache, Chisholm, JesusSanchez, Carlson, and even Kelenic - which some would think is blasphemous. 

So he has a downward swing ... that would make sense given the abysmal lack of power.  He hasn't fixed it in three years of minor league ball.  Maybe in 2020? 

He may be plenty talented and athletic, but I've never been convinced that "athleticism" is the primary component of being able to hit a baseball.  Exhibit A is late-stage Tony Gwynn and Exhibit B is Pablo Sandoval.  In general, I am sick of these "toolsy" youngsters who populate the rankings every year while performing below average in minor league ball.  I had faith in guys like Moncada and Devers (faith that has been handsomely awarded in 2019) because they were dominant in the lower levels.  Until a player does that I'm generally a doubter, regardless of age.

Padres got ******** fleeced, is my opinion.  You know who knows Trammell better than anyone?  The Cincinnati organization.  And they just gave up on him.  That tells me a lot.  Maybe their couching staff sucks and Padres will unlock his talent, but other than the Tampa Bay Rays I don't see too many organizations who are consistently managing that type of coaching-upgrade. 

**He's too "smart" to continue along this path?  Huh?  I'm not sure why smarts has much to do with anything (I doubt too many MLB players are candidates for MENSA) but what makes you think this guy is smart about the game of baseball?  Isn't he the guy who probably cost himself 5-15 draft slots by committing to Georgia Tech to play college baseball?  Then he didn't play college ball, so you have to wonder what bet he was trying to hedge.

****Plus, the fact that the Padres handed that ludicrous contract to Hosmer so that Wil Myers could play in the outfield tells me they may be prone to utter stupidity from time to time.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ItsMeMario said:

Reds gave up on him ? They got freaking Trevor Bauer! 

Not to mention that the Padres have a keen eye for both amateur and international talent. Their evaluators were willing to part with Reyes/Allen for him, which is a risk of course, but one that could pay off in spades. We won't know who won the trade for a long time.

Trammell slashed 310/356/643 in 10 AA playoff games and hit the game-winning grand slam in the 9th inning yesterday to give Amarillo the Texas League title.

Nice end to a disappointing year. He’ll drop on prospect rankings and rightfully so but still a lot of upside here.

He will likely play next season at AAA El Paso which has one of the most hitter-friendly parks in the PCL. Could be a good buy low target in dynasties right now.

• Like 1

Finished last year strong with SD after adjustments to swing mechanics and started off spring training strong.  Haven't seen much lately on how he's looking at the alternate site, and Padres fans with insights?  Any chance he gets a call this year?

On 8/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, SnellMyFinger said:

Pham looks like he's going to be out for an extended period of time... any chance we see Trammell?

Honestly surprised we have not heard more about them bringing him up.  They have needs in the OF.  Without much news coming out of the Alternate site, I'm guessing lack of chatter means they don't think he's an option to help them right now.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:43 PM, j_cis1011 said:

Will he be called up anytime soon now that he’s in Seattle?

Don’t see them starting his clock honestly. It’s not like they are competing at all.