Travis Burten

Wilson Ramos 2017 Outlook

1 minute ago, smuz1 said:

With Kiermaier out for 2+ months, can either Rasmus or Souza move to CF?  Can either of those two play CF? This would open up Dickerson playing OF everyday and Ramos being everyday DH.

Mallex Smith played CF for the Braves.

Maybe in 2 Catcher league, but in 1 catcher league, he will be like Mesaraco, miss days and drive you crazy 

23 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Maybe in 2 Catcher league, but in 1 catcher league, he will be like Mesaraco, miss days and drive you crazy 

Unlike Devin he can DH though. 

4 hours ago, urban2014 said:

I disagree. When he can't catch, he'll DH. He'll miss here and there, but he'll play more than Meso out of the gate. Imo. 

58 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I disagree. When he can't catch, he'll DH. He'll miss here and there, but he'll play more than Meso out of the gate. Imo. 

Yeah....I keep forgetting about DH. I swear I've been waiting for this guy to be activated a long time.. I mean, longer then it actually has been.

.850 OPS last year... fantastic for a catcher.

I bet a lot of you are having the dilemma of choosing between Ramos or Tom Murphy. 

I figure the majority will lean toward Ramos because of his 2016 season, the DH, and Murphy's unclear situation with Wolters.

I get that. It's the safer route. 

Personally, I'm going with Murphy. I'm that sold on the bat, and I think he'll become the Rockies full time starter in short time. He has 9 hits in his last 18 at-bats. Sure it's the Minors, but he just looks awesome. Check out his homer the other night.  I really believe he can be the 1b to Gary Sanchez 1a, in terms of young power-hitting catchers. 

2 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I bet a lot of you are having the dilemma of choosing between Ramos or Tom Murphy. 

I figure the majority will lean toward Ramos because of his 2016 season, the DH, and Murphy's unclear situation with Wolters.

Personally, I'm going with Murphy. I'm that sold on the bat, and I think he'll become the Rockies full time starter in short time. He has 9 hits in his last 18 at-bats. Sure it's the Minors, but he just looks awesome. Check out his homer the other night.  I really believe he can be the 1b to Gary Sanchez 1a, in terms of young power-hitting catchers. 

Minor league for cameramen too.

1 minute ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

As both of us have mentioned, not playing a catcher right now, I'm setting up for the 2nd half and picked up both early..Of the two, I like Ramos better. The one thing that concerns me about Murphy is his strikeouts. My league counts against them.. The more I look into it with Murphy, the more I don't like him...Not trying to be sour grapes, wish all I had to worry about was dude hitting home runs to be honest

33 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

As both of us have mentioned, not playing a catcher right now, I'm setting up for the 2nd half and picked up both early..Of the two, I like Ramos better. The one thing that concerns me about Murphy is his strikeouts. My league counts against them.. The more I look into it with Murphy, the more I don't like him...Not trying to be sour grapes, wish all I had to worry about was dude hitting home runs to be honest

the strikeouts are concerning... 1:8 ratio right now in his brief milb stint. but man... mid-500's slugging (or .600's!) at pretty much all his stops. headed to Coors in a talented lineup... even if his .647 Slug from the PCL last year regresses 200 points, we are still looking at Yasmani Grandal level production (currently at .444).

part of it's a hunch. I think he'll be a stud, and force the Rockies to relegate Wolters and his empty average and pitch framing prowess back to the bench. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

2 hours ago, warningtrackpower said:

Between Hedges and Zunino, there are already a lot of catchers that can hit homers and strike out. 

If Murphy only hits .210ish then yes you've got the same. Coors probably negates that possibility. The main issue with Murphy is as everyone has noted - playing time.

I guess people have a short memory....Ramos was a legit top 5 catcher last year and with the added DH ABs, he's going to beast. Could put up .310//.370/.480 type numbers easily. He's that good, and the lack of respect hes getting in this thread is absolutely criminal. 

3 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

I guess people have a short memory....Ramos was a legit top 5 catcher last year and with the added DH ABs, he's going to beast. Could put up .310//.370/.480 type numbers easily. He's that good, and the lack of respect hes getting in this thread is absolutely criminal. 

That's quite a stretch.

16 minutes ago, absknicks said:

That's quite a stretch.

He put up .307/.354/.496 last year. It's just as much of a stretch as touching your nose.

1 minute ago, Travis Burten said:

He put up .307/.354/.496 last year. It's just as much of a stretch as touching your nose.

Yeah, that was a career year (by far). You won't find anyone out there projecting him to repeat that. And you said "easily" to boot. 

Edited by absknicks

Catcher has been such a dumpster position this year. It would be dreamy if this guy gets 5-6 starts per week.

Seems like there's two main schools of thought on Ramos:

1.  The Lasik was the key to his success last year being able to see the ball "properly" for the first time in his career, and last year is his new "norm", or

2.  Last season was a career year and to expect the same kind of production is foolish

I'm not really 100% on board with either side, but I would say I lean more towards the first side - any time there is a physical change (whether its in swing, approach, or Lasik) followed directly by an increase in production, it's usually correlated.  I'm not naive enough to expect full 2016 value, and there might be some rust / lingering effects to shake off, but I would say anyone expecting closer to pre-2016 Ramos is going to be missing out.

5 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

He actually finished second a nose behind Lucroy and ahead of Posey in Yahoo standard scoring leagues.  He was first most of the year and went into a slump in September followed by his season ending injury a couple of weeks before the end which was when a red hot Lucroy overtook him.

5 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Seems like there's two main schools of thought on Ramos:

1.  The Lasik was the key to his success last year being able to see the ball "properly" for the first time in his career, and last year is his new "norm", or

2.  Last season was a career year and to expect the same kind of production is foolish

I'm not really 100% on board with either side, but I would say I lean more towards the first side - any time there is a physical change (whether its in swing, approach, or Lasik) followed directly by an increase in production, it's usually correlated.  I'm not naive enough to expect full 2016 value, and there might be some rust / lingering effects to shake off, but I would say anyone expecting closer to pre-2016 Ramos is going to be missing out.

He had hit well in his past too.  He had a really good year at least once before.  It has always been the injuries that were the problem in the past.  Also avoiding being kidnapped in the off season.

I lean to the other side. He has had close to a year off from injury, switching leagues, playing for a team that isn't as good as the Nats( may start out pressing),  and at least at first is going to need to adjust to being just a dh.  Personally just hope he gets to keep the catcher slot for next year as that means the recovery was successful. 

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also avoiding being kidnapped in the off season.

Almost spit out my coffee.  Totally forgot about that.

9 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I lean to the other side. He has had close to a year off from injury, switching leagues, playing for a team that isn't as good as the Nats( may start out pressing),  and at least at first is going to need to adjust to being just a dh.  Personally just hope he gets to keep the catcher slot for next year as that means the recovery was successful. 

I agree with the bolded, but I also think TB's offense has been sneaky good this year - #3 in runs scored in the AL, and #8 overall in MLB.  33 RS (about 0.5/game) behind the Nats.  Their lineup is full of a lot of nobody's, but they've been scoring a lot.  I think Ramos would have lots of R and RBI opportunities if he's hitting in a decent spot.

15 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I agree with the bolded, but I also think TB's offense has been sneaky good this year - #3 in runs scored in the AL, and #8 overall in MLB.  33 RS (about 0.5/game) behind the Nats.  Their lineup is full of a lot of nobody's, but they've been scoring a lot.  I think Ramos would have lots of R and RBI opportunities if he's hitting in a decent spot.

I agree but I wouldn't exactly call them nobodies.  If Aaron Judge wasn't running away with it right now Corey Dickerson would be one of the early favorites for AL MVP.  Tim Beckham is a post-hype sleeper waking up.  Souza is finally living up to his hype too.  Longoria is Longoria except on a good team for a change. 

Now Brad Miller has crashed and Kiermier is on the DL long term.  But Logan Morrison has soared and I have no idea how.  He might fit into your category I grant you.  So I see Wilson Ramos in the middle of a pretty darn good line-up too.

With Baltimore and their lack of speed and starting pitching catching up with them and Toronto balancing between one more run and aging out of the mix; the Rays have a legit chance at third place this year in the division at least.  A dark horse for a wildcard spot even with a little luck.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

Yeah, that was a career year (by far). You won't find anyone out there projecting him to repeat that. And you said "easily" to boot. 

2 words for you brother. Lasik Surgery. 

Stuff like that dramatically changes how you look at a player. He has the talent and now the sharper vision is clearly leading to better hitting. 

So I had a really weird dream last night.

I played on the Jays, and the team and I were down at Tropicana Field playing the Rays. For whatever reason, I was playing 1B and 2B somehow, and Ramos ended up stealing 2B. I was so mad that I kicked him in the knee.

Then all the sudden I was in the Rays clubhouse on his team and he stabbed me with a knife.

Moral of the story? I don't know.