BlueJaysIn2030

Toronto Blue Jays 2017 Outlook

The Jays held a record of 89-73 and made it into the ALDS by beating the Orioles in the WC game. They then beat the Rangers and lost to the Indians.

As of December 1st 2016:

• Signed Kendrys Morales to a 3-year/33 million dollar contract
  • Picked up the team option on Jason Grilli
  • Signed Cuban Lourdes Gurriel Jr to a 7-year/22 million dollar contract
  • Edwin Encarnacion and Jose Bautista both declined their qualifying offers
  • Michael Saunders, Joaquin Benoit, RA Dickey, Brett Cecil, Scott Feldman, Dioner Navarro, Gavin Floyd are all off the team and into free agency

Probable starting lineup:

C----Russell Martin

1B---Justin Smoak

2B---Devon Travis

SS---Troy Tulowitzki

3B---Josh Donaldson

LF---Melvin Upton Jr

CF---Kevin Pillar

RF---Ezequiel Carrera

DH---Kendrys Morals

SP---Aaron Sanchez

SP---Marco Estrada

SP---J Happ

SP---Marcus Stroman

SP---Francisco Liriano

RP---Roberto Osuna

RP---Jason Grilli

RP---Joe Biagini

RP---Matt Dermondy

RP---Aaron Loup

Random Stuff

The Jays really need some help in the OF and have been linked recently to Jay Bruce and Dexter Fowler, with some "experts" suggesting they should try for Andrew McCutchen. The team had one of the top pitching staffs in all of baseball last year, but lived and died by the long ball.

There are a few reports that suggest Encarnacion could return, with Jon Heymani saying they offered him 4-yeasrs/80 million dollars.

There are rumors in Toronto that Joe Biagini might start this year.

I personally think that the Jays should start with Biagini in the rotation and see what he's got. He was really great for them in 2016, and looks like he could start. It's worth a try, even if it's for only 3-4 turns. He used as many as 4 pitches in a bullpen role, and pitched more than 1 inning several times. Still young at 26.

They definitely need some OF help and I think they should go after Fowler. He's your prototypical lead-off guy, plays decent enough defence, and should only cost ~60-65 million. I'd prefer him over Jay Bruce. 

Outside of that, I don't know what else they can do. If Edwin goes elsewhere, then I don't know what they do. Smoak as the everyday 1B is awful. He sucks.

10 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

does this mean they are definitely letting EE and joey bats walks?

yes that is a given. they are both gone, makes no sense to resign either. rather use money for edwin on signing both fowler and bruce (who will cost the same as edwin). no point for jays to get in a bidding war for edwin.

8 minutes ago, swaggyp said:

yes that is a given. they are both gone, makes no sense to resign either. rather use money for edwin on signing both fowler and bruce (who will cost the same as edwin). no point for jays to get in a bidding war for edwin.

what are likely landing spots for them??

17 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

does this mean they are definitely letting EE and joey bats walks?

They apparently offered him 4/80 and Atkins has said numerous times he wants him back. The sentiment in the Toronto media (Bob McCowan, Damian Cox, some Jays "insiders", etc) is that he isn't gone for sure, but the odds aren't great. I'd love him back. The Jays have made a ton of money the last two seasons and should be spending it. No reason for a $130 million budget when you had some of the highest attendance records in 2015/2016, increased tickets prices by 10% (I think it was 10%). 

They go the moola. Spend it.

There are other options than Smoak at 1B. 

- Mike Napoli and Chris Carter.  If they don't mind low BAs these guys can provide power and Carter should be pretty cheap compared to Naps.

- Matt Holiday says he wants to become a 1B to help extend his career and he could still serve as a 4th OF with Smoak backing up 1B.  Seems a good fit and is a good club house presence sporting a World Series ring to boot. 

- Or they could feel out Colorado who is open to trading CarGo.  CarGo has been on record that he wants to switch to 1B.  But CarGo would cost them players.

Personally I think Matt Holiday would be a good fit in Toronto.  He probably could be had on a 2 year contract easily.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

55 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There are other options than Smoak at 1B. 

- Mike Napoli and Chris Carter.  If they don't mind low BAs these guys can provide power and Carter should be pretty cheap compared to Naps.

- Matt Holiday says he wants to become a 1B to help extend his career and he could still serve as a 4th OF with Smoak backing up 1B.  Seems a good fit and is a good club house presence sporting a World Series ring to boot. 

- Or they could feel out Colorado who is open to trading CarGo.  CarGo has been on record that he wants to switch to 1B.  But CarGo would cost them players.

Personally I think Matt Holiday would be a good fit in Toronto.  He probably could be had on a 2 year contract easily.

Yeah, no on Holliday. He's 36 years old, is a terrible defender, and only played 10 games at 1B last season. He's not even much of an upgrade over Smoak, so yeah... I'd pass

42 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Yeah, no on Holliday. He's 36 years old, is a terrible defender, and only played 10 games at 1B last season. He's not even much of an upgrade over Smoak, so yeah... I'd pass

What are you smoking if you think he's not much better than Smoak? Justin Smoak is one of the worst players in the game

25 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

What are you smoking if you think he's not much better than Smoak? Justin Smoak is one of the worst players in the game

Defensively, I should say. 

2 minutes ago, Chubbles said:

I think the jays will be bad next year, like really bad which makes me sad

Counter point: I think they'll be good. Quite good. Which has little to no effect on my emotions. 

I didn't want them to overpay for either guy but losing both (if that happens) will leave big holes in that lineup.  I don't see Estrada repeating and while I love Sanchez I don't see him as being an Ace, I'd love him as a number two, Stroman has been a let down as well, that syndergaard trade still haunts me

1 hour ago, Chubbles said:

I didn't want them to overpay for either guy but losing both (if that happens) will leave big holes in that lineup.  I don't see Estrada repeating and while I love Sanchez I don't see him as being an Ace, I'd love him as a number two, Stroman has been a let down as well, that syndergaard trade still haunts me

Curious but how many consecutive years does Marco Estrada have to lead the league in BABIP before people think it may be legitimate?

8 hours ago, taobball said:

Curious but how many consecutive years does Marco Estrada have to lead the league in BABIP before people think it may be legitimate?

I started to think it was legit during the ALDS. Going into 2016 I was on board with the "He isn't this good" train. I mean he looked good (I go to 25+ Jays games a year), he doesn't throw hard but throws very accurately (kinda like Mark Buerle did), and his pitches come out at a great angle.

But I just couldn't believe that this pumpkin turned into gold.

I think that he's a top 15 pitcher in the AL again, and I think that if he doesn't miss anytime hell throw over 200IP. 

if the Jays don't add any other offensive players then the loss of Bautista and Encarnacion hurts, but I believe they will add someone else. they've shown interest in either Bruce or Granderson from the Mets, as well as they like Fowler.

adding Morales is also good, and I don't think enough people see/understand how good Morales can be.

12 hours ago, Chubbles said:

I think the jays will be bad next year, like really bad which makes me sad

no they will in fact be very good. it boggle my mind how naive some people are in the city. sure we had a good run but stop worrying about losing edwin and jose.

our team will be better and more balanced. fully on board with the plan

4 hours ago, swaggyp said:

no they will in fact be very good. it boggle my mind how naive some people are in the city. sure we had a good run but stop worrying about losing edwin and jose.

our team will be better and more balanced. fully on board with the plan

In "fact"?

The odds are definitely stacked against them being as good as last year

1 hour ago, mysonx3 said:

In "fact"?

The odds are definitely stacked against them being as good as last year

They most certainly will have a weaker lineup. Still good, but weaker.

Yet as good as their defence was last year, it is aiming to get better with the loss of Bautista and Saunders.   The Jays offensively seemed to live by the long ball but the pitching and defence carried the team.  Basically the same pitching staff except you have Liriano all year and no more 40 year old knuckleballer that didn't knuckle at Rogers Center.  

still 2016 with 2 plus months until spring training. it's a little early to be saying surely what the Jays (or any team) will be like in 2017.

The starting lineup still looks sad compared to last year.  If they are done adding to everything except the bullpen hopefully if looks like this after July.

C----Russell Martin

1B---Rowdy Tellez

2B---Devon Travis

SS---Troy Tulowitzki

3B---Josh Donaldson

LF---Melvin Upton Jr

CF---Kevin Pillar

RF---Lourdes Guerriel Jr

DH---Kendrys Morales

SP---Aaron Sanchez

SP---Marco Estrada

SP---J Happ

SP---Marcus Stroman

SP---Francisco Liriano

RP---Roberto Osuna

RP---Jason Grilli

RP---Joe Biagini

RP---Matt Dermondy

RP---Aaron Loup

Thank god Dickey's god. What a RADiculous trade that was by AA.

Edited by swfcdan

8 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Thank god Dickey's god. What a RADiculous trade that was by AA.

Well how many god's do you know that are former Cy Young winners that can throw a knuckle ball?  A god beats a Thor everytime.  Seriously though AA went for it and he had the guts to do it.  At least we knew the direction the team was going.