BlueJaysIn2030

Toronto Blue Jays 2017 Outlook

37 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

1. How many teams have made the playoffs in the MLB with a 1-8 start the year? 

2. Small samples don't really matter when it comes to real life baseball - I'm not talking about FBB. This team is 1-8... they need to be a .578+ team from here on out. You know how hard that is to do?

3. Again, not talking about FBB.

I guess I thought this was a FBB message board, not the "let's vent and rant about our favorite team" board. Like I said, it certainly hurts their playoff chances on real life, but in terms of the skill and results of individual players I'm not so concerned. 

Also posting worst 25 game starts kind of proves my point - 9 games is an extremely small sample size. If their win % is just as bad after 25 games then I agree it's time to panic. At this point they could sweep a couple series and be back above .500. 

Just now, jb_power said:

my time is my time and I'll do with it as I please.  and a good day to you too fairweatherblue

It's pretty sad that you're going to spend your time trying to guilt me about a team I've cheered for for over 25 years. 

I spent good money to watch a team play good baseball. Over 9 games I've seen some good pitching in 3 games, and bad everything else. By not going to games I'm showing the Brass that I'm not happy. 

That's how it works. 

So do me, and anyone else who is a fan, a favor and back off. It's incredibly petty and annoying when someone comes in and plays the "I'm a better fan than you" card because you still blow your money to watch a poor team. 

When they start to play MLB caliber ball, I'll be firmly in my seat. Until then I'll be watching from home. 

2 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

It's pretty sad that you're going to spend your time trying to guilt me about a team I've cheered for for over 25 years. 

I spent good money to watch a team play good baseball. Over 9 games I've seen some good pitching in 3 games, and bad everything else. By not going to games I'm showing the Brass that I'm not happy. 

That's how it works. 

So do me, and anyone else who is a fan, a favor and back off. It's incredibly petty and annoying when someone comes in and plays the "I'm a better fan than you" card because you still blow your money to watch a poor team. 

When they start to play MLB caliber ball, I'll be firmly in my seat. Until then I'll be watching from home. 

I don't really care to get into this argument, but don't they technically already have your money since you have season tickets? I'm sure they'd like you to be there buying consessions, but your seat is bought and paid for. 

Just now, handyandy86 said:

I don't really care to get into this argument, but don't they technically already have your money since you have season tickets? I'm sure they'd like you to be there buying consessions, but your seat is bought and paid for. 

I went over this already. I don't live in the city, so why would I spend $50 or more to make the trip and watch them lose? 

6 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I guess I thought this was a FBB message board, not the "let's vent and rant about our favorite team" board. Like I said, it certainly hurts their playoff chances on real life, but in terms of the skill and results of individual players I'm not so concerned. 

Also posting worst 25 game starts kind of proves my point - 9 games is an extremely small sample size. If their win % is just as bad after 25 games then I agree it's time to panic. At this point they could sweep a couple series and be back above .500. 

Pretty clear that we were talking about real life baseball. 

25 games if a large chunk of the year. And, like I said, if they go .500 over the next 16 games they're still far behind. They need to win 2 series right now, they can't keep losing. They just lost Donaldson, far and away their best hitter.

So who will be filling in the most when (according to Rotoworld blurb) Donaldson is places on the DL?  The blurb cites Darwin Barney and Ryan Goins.

Also Devon Travis is in his prime years so you can't bash him for his age being the factor that he is off to a terrible start.  But there are always players off to a terrible start and age isn't the factor.  Rizzo was slow etc.  Toronto just had a bunch of them and suddenly there is age-panic setting in. 

Yes they need some younger players to filter in like say Rowdy Tellez sooner than later but it isn't an age thing especially so early on the season.  This isn't the dog days of summer where some 40-year-old is wilting away in August.  Their slow start has nothing to do with the age of the players and more to do with a group slump and, in Donaldson's case, his hamstring.  I mean the Yankees' too worse slumping players right now are two of their YOUNG shinning prospects in Sanchez (now on the DL) and Bird.

Also why shouldn't fans cheer for their team when they are losing?   That is when their team needs them the most.  Plus if you love baseball you can just enjoy the game for the sake of the game.  I read an essay or something once in some book by Roger Angell talking about how it was almost a relief when the fair weather fans stopped coming to the games so the real fans and lovers of baseball were left in peace at the park to enjoy the greatest game the world has ever known.

1 minute ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I went over this already. I don't live in the city, so why would I spend $50 or more to make the trip and watch them lose? 

I can see that, I'm just saying you're arguing that by not going you're showing the Jays brass you're displeased and sticking it to the man, but really you're just saving money on parking and food. If the reason is it's expensive that's fair enough on its own. 

3 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I can see that, I'm just saying you're arguing that by not going you're showing the Jays brass you're displeased and sticking it to the man, but really you're just saving money on parking and food. If the reason is it's expensive that's fair enough on its own. 

My seat, as well as a lot more, are empty. So I am showing them - visually - that I don't care about a losing team. So... no.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with this. I can't believe there are people on here who are trying to tell me how to be a fan. It's pathetic. Telling people who to enjoy a team or a sport is stupid, and I wish people would stop doing it. This team should be in an all out panic right now and doing whatever they can to fix it. They don't look good out there, they don't look happy in the dugout, and you can tell tensions are high. 

If you, or anyone else, has an issue with how people spend their time on a team, you need to get a life.

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

3 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Pretty clear that we were talking about real life baseball. 

25 games if a large chunk of the year. And, like I said, if they go .500 over the next 16 games they're still far behind. They need to win 2 series right now, they can't keep losing. They just lost Donaldson, far and away their best hitter.

The original post I quoted you was you saying that age has set in and going into detail about how each player is over the hill, and trying to call out another poster for saying they'd produce this year. The original conversation was specifically about FBB. 

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So who will be filling in the most when (according to Rotoworld blurb) Donaldson is places on the DL?  The blurb cites Darwin Barney and Ryan Goins.

Goins has been filling in at 3rd the last few games as Donaldson DHed, but Barney is capable at 3B too. They'll likely just go with whoever has the hotter bat, but neither are fantasy relevant unless you're in a 20 team AL only league

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also Devon Travis is in his prime years so you can't bash him for his age being the factor that he is off to a terrible start.  But there are always players off to a terrible start and age isn't the factor.  Rizzo was slow etc.  Toronto just had a bunch of them and suddenly there is age-panic setting in. 

Yes they need some younger players to filter in like say Rowdy Tellez sooner than later but it isn't an age thing especially so early on the season.  This isn't the dog days of summer where some 40-year-old is wilting away in August.  Their slow start has nothing to do with the age of the players and more to do with a group slump and, in Donaldson's case, his hamstring.  I mean the Yankees' too worse slumping players right now are two of their YOUNG shinning prospects in Sanchez (now on the DL) and Bird.

Also why shouldn't fans cheer for their team when they are losing?   That is when their team needs them the most.  Plus if you love baseball you can just enjoy the game for the sake of the game.  I read an essay or something once in some book by Roger Angell talking about how it was almost a relief when the fair weather fans stopped coming to the games so the real fans and lovers of baseball were left in peace at the park to enjoy the greatest game the world has ever known.

Yeah, will be a mix of Barney and Goins. Probably Barney, he was really solid last year when we needed him.

Travis: I said "what the f?" cause I don't know what's up with him. Maybe the injury he's coming back from? Hard to tell. The entire team looks miserable and has looked miserable since game 1, sadly. 

I never said I'm not cheering for them. I said I'm not spending my time and money to drive into Toronto to watch them right now. Huuuuuge difference. 

5 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

My seat, as well as a lot more, are empty. So I am showing them - visually - that I don't care about a losing team. So... no.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Rogers cares a lot more about having your money in their pockets than you sitting in the seat. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you're not in a position to go out and watch the team most nights winning or losing, season tickets might not have been the best choice. 

Anyways, this argument is pretty pointless so I won't post about it again. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if things are still this hopeless. 

1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Rogers cares a lot more about having your money in their pockets than you sitting in the seat. Hindsight is 20/20, but if you're not in a position to go out and watch the team most nights winning or losing, season tickets might not have been the best choice.

How about you back off, pal? I can spend my money on seasons to whatever team I want and keep them empty all year if I want. It's my choice and it's good for me. You're in position to tell me what might have been the "best choice" for me or not. 

Fans/people like you are exactly why I hate cheering for teams in Toronto. To you I either have to be 100% on board, whether the team is 1-80 or 80-1. You ruin it for people like me. Absolutely ruin it.

So go away, go find something to do, and let me be a fan the way I want to be a fan.

Not panicking yet, but obviously this is a pretty horrendous start. Hopefully this isn't like the Astros last year where they dug themselves such a huge hole that they couldn't dig themselves all the way out of. 

Going to the game tomorrow. Hopefully the offense gets rolling. 

Why would anyone pay to see a team when Rogers won't pay to bolster their team? They needed roster pieces this year more than ever and after having 2 or 3 of the most profitable seasons ever their response to fans that supported them was basically screw you.

I've been to tons of games over the past 5-6 years and spend WAY too much free time watching games. I feel fans like me deserve to see a quality product and Rogers hasn't produced it. No surprise really this is the kind of owner they are, concerned only with the bottom line. They gambled that if they spent nothing they'd still have a good enough team to keep the city interested and seats filled. Looks like they'll lose that handily and I love it, even though it sucks.

For a team as successful and profitable as the Jays have been to refuse to resign Edwin and come away from FA with Morales, pearce, and JP Howell as your key pieces is completely unacceptable. I hate having schadenfreude at the expense of my own team but that's how it is living in Toronto. A lifetime of this crap makes you callous to your own teams struggle. 

Now I just need to figure out why I own Bautista, Morales, and Rusty Martin everywhere. SMH.

3 minutes ago, Bash Bros said:

Not panicking yet, but obviously this is a pretty horrendous start. Hopefully this isn't like the Astros last year where they dug themselves such a huge hole that they couldn't dig themselves all the way out of. 

Going to the game tomorrow. Hopefully the offense gets rolling. 

I hope so, too. I'm going to the game Sunday. 

As a fan I want them to keep losing so we can rebuild fully and stop half-a$$ing it to become a threat.  We did nothing this offseason and got considerably worse.  I don't mind losing if we are developing young talent but losing with a bunch of olds in pointless.

If you are a fairly objective fan, you had to see this coming. I love the Blue Jays, but I'm not surprised at all they are sucking so bad so far this year. Maybe wasn't expecting this level of sucking, but I'm really not that surprised.

Donaldson hits the DL now too. Have a sneaky suspicion it's going to be a problem all season long for him. Again, wasn't hard to see coming.

Edited by k.k.
add-on

We missed the window with this squad, it was fun being relevant again but it's time to rebuild.  Sanchez and Stroman are two very good pieces to the rotation, lets build around them and move on

11 hours ago, MynameisMudd said:

2 words: Rowdy Tellez.  

4 numbers...2018.   The only way we were seeing him up this year if the Jays were contending and Smoak was sucking.  Might as well let him develop more in give minors.

12 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I live outside of the city. I'm not making the trek to Toronto to watch them lose. Why would I? I'm looking at ~$50 per trip. 

What did the season tickets cost?

This offense is absolutely pathetic, you can't let a guy like Alec Asher dominate you.