BlueJaysIn2030

Toronto Blue Jays 2017 Outlook

22 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

4 numbers...2018.   The only way we were seeing him up this year if the Jays were contending and Smoak was sucking.  Might as well let him develop more in give minors.

Them sucking would give them more reason to let him get his cup of coffee at some point? no?  At least to have someone under 25 to give the fan base seem hope for the youth.

It's only been 2 weeks but they're last in:

AVG 

R

HR

SB

ISO 

OBP

wOBA 

wRC+

18 minutes ago, HalfManHalfAmazing said:

the seasons over

Looking really bad so far. Won't lose hope until May.

Crowds will got to 25% again.  This is exactly what Shapiro wanted though, he can now rebuild without anybody questioning why he is rebuilding.  I don't think you will see any of the farm up though.  No reason to start the service clock this year.  Here's hoping this is the year they implement a international draft and they get Otani #1.  

....and Happ down with Elbow soreness.  Paging Dr. Andrews.  At least we can blame the season on Happ and Sanchez being out.

11 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

Crowds will got to 25% again.  This is exactly what Shapiro wanted though, he can now rebuild without anybody questioning why he is rebuilding.  I don't think you will see any of the farm up though.  No reason to start the service clock this year.  Here's hoping this is the year they implement a international draft and they get Otani #1.  

Yup. And I just hope if they decide to go full rebuild they really do it. I'd love to wind up in a state similar to Cleveland.

6 hours ago, Spurgeon said:

Any updates on Donaldson's injury? 

Yeah, he saw the score yesterday and died.  

If they're going to do the full rebuild then every non long term piece needs to go. They could get a haul for Donaldson. If Bautista starts hitting then he could maybe return a decent piece. Happ prior to his injury was a guy that could have likely fetched a nice return. Estrada could be a nice trade deadline acquisition, especially for a contending NL team. Tulo/Martin Are probably the only two pieces that they wouldn't be able to move (at least not easily).

They actually do have a pretty nice crop of guys coming through the minors right now (Tellez, Vladdy Jr, Alford, Greene, Reid-Foley) so if they could add to that then they could potentially have a pretty nice young core two or three years from now. 

I was doing this in the Morales outlook post but decided to move to the this one.  I had been comparing Edwin and Kendrys so far.  Up until this week they basically had identical stats.   I decided to throw in Smoak to see how worse they are off with Smoak.  Can't really blame the losing yet on the loss of EE.

H/AB    Runs    HR    RBI    Avg    OPS

Edwin              9/44        4         1        1      .205    .622

Kendrys          10/44       5         2        7      .227    .729

Smoak              8/32       3         1        3      .250    .741

The Jays only have 2 wins though but they may not have one either one without Morales.  He hit a walk off HR for one of those wins. 

As a jays fan the fact that so many people are adamant about a full rebuild is pretty disheartening. It is probably the right move... but it just sucks as a fan. The last time the jays were in the playoffs prior to their current team was the WS in '93 and I was pretty much too young to remember anything.

20 years later and we finally get a sniff of the playoffs for 2 seasons and suddenly we are in a position to blow the team up and rebuild again. I was hoping we would at least get to enjoy a competitive team for a few more years. IDK it seems like 2 weeks ago the jays were perceived as a competitive playoff team, now they are a team needing a rebuild.

Edited by Darkthrone

5 minutes ago, Darkthrone said:

As a jays fan the fact that so many people are adamant about a full rebuild is pretty disheartening. It is probably the right move... but it just sucks as a fan. The last time the jays were in the playoffs prior to their current team was the WS in '93 and I was pretty much too young to remember anything.

20 years later and we finally get a sniff of the playoffs for 2 seasons and suddenly we are in a position to blow the team up and rebuild again. I was hoping we would at least get to enjoy a competitive team for a few more years. IDK it seems like 2 weeks ago the jays were perceived as a competitive playoff team, now they are a team needing a rebuild.

The Blue Jays were perceived as a playoff contender but I think most people (a large number of fans included) realized how old this team is and that a rebuild was definitely on the horizon in the not-too-distant future. A poor start without a solid rebound could definitely accelerate the rebuild.

Personally, I'm not hitting the reset button yet. They aren't going to hit like Mario Mendoza all season and they're not going to score runs like they're a team from the Dead Ball era. However, if they're still floundering in early July and have no shot at making the playoffs then I'm definitely on board with hitting the reset button and building for the future. If Shapiro plays his cards right, they could have a pretty nice looking young core at the major league level in 2019-20.

• 5-14 record
  • .223/.292/.349
  • 29th in runs in the MLB
  • 13th in starter ERA in the MLB
  • Team leaders:
    • R: Martin (9), Bautista at 2nd (8)
    • RBI: Tulowitzki and Molasses (both have 10)
    • HR: Smoak, Pillar, Molasses (all have 3)
    • SB: Pillar (2), Carrera, Martin and Barney (all have 1)
    • BA: Carrera (.311), Donaldson at 2nd (.310)
    • OBP: Donaldson (.429), Martin at 2nd (.339)
    • SLG: Donaldson (.586), Smoak at 2nd (.525)
    • OPS: Donaldson (1.015), Smoak at 2nd (.843)
    • ERA: Estrada (2.63), Stroman at 2nd (3.10)
    • WHIP: Happ (1.13), Estrada at 2nd (1.17)
    • K/9: Happ (11.25), Liriano at 2nd (9.68)
    • BB/9: Happ (0.00), Stroman at 2nd (1.55)

Injuries: Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Happ, Sanchez

This team blow. When Smoak is one of the offensive leaders on your team, you know that you're in crap. 

Blow it up in preparation for the Vladdy Jr. era.  This team is going nowhere.

Rebuild trade candidates:

Qualifiers:

1) Jose Bautista - No.  He's on a 1 year deal for an expensive 18 million.  Doubt anyone wants him.  Possible a team might take a chance on him next year for a lot less money.

2) Troy Tulowitzki -  No one will touch this expensive contract for an out of his prime, injury prone player.

3) Russ Martin - If he was cheaper yes, but 20 million for a defense only Catcher is a lot.

4) Marco Estrada - a lot of teams would love him, not too expensive.  I could see him getting traded to the Dodgers.

5) JA Happ, I could see a lot of teams wanting him, not too expensive regardless of peripheral stats concerns.

6) Kendrys Morales - they could trade him but there wouldn't be too much value for a no defense, power only type hitter.  Reasonable contract though.

Won't trade JD, Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, Devon Travis, Joe Biagini, Osuna.

Russell Martin is playing 3B tonight. For reals. God Save the Blue Jays.

Blue Jays are in a Mariners end of Bill Bavasi era rebuild.  A bunch of washed up vets with zero trade value.  They don't got many assets.  Going to be a long road back.  Good luck Jays fans.  As a Mariners fan don't get too down.  At least you made playoffs recently and have titles in time before your birth. 

4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Blue Jays are in a Mariners end of Bill Bavasi era rebuild.  A bunch of washed up vets with zero trade value.  They don't got many assets.  Going to be a long road back.  Good luck Jays fans.  As a Mariners fan don't get too down.  At least you made playoffs recently and have titles in time before your birth. 

Beats the days of JP Riccardi. I'll take the playoffs 2 years in a row, followed by 3 years of lameness, and a few years of goodness. 

54 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Rebuild trade candidates:

Won't trade JD, Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, Devon Travis, Joe Biagini, Osuna.

As a Blue Jays fan... If they're going the full-on rebuild route then Donaldson can go too. He'd easily fetch them a good package. I'd also listen for offers on every single other player listed. By the time they're ready to compete again, Sanchez and Stroman will be nearing or at free agency.