Topgun

Ryan Schimpf 2017 Outlook

Hits a bomb off Kershaw today.   I'm not going to be shocked to see 30+ bombs this year if he can play every day.  2B eligible in my league. 

Edited by kittenmittons

1 hour ago, kittenmittons said:

Hits a bomb off Kershaw today.   I'm not going to be shocked to see 30+ bombs this year if he can play every day.  2B eligible in my league. 

With Spangenberg getting sent down, he should play most days.

arent lefty homeruns off kershaw an extreme rarity in today's game? i mean sure a blind squirrel blah blah but still, off kershaw.

i'll buy for at least 2 weeks. 

Edited by soisoisoi

On 1/23/2017 at 10:54 PM, Flyman75 said:

Just a whole lot smaller, lol. 

The Micro Donkey

10 hours ago, soisoisoi said:

arent lefty homeruns off kershaw an extreme rarity in today's game? i mean sure a blind squirrel blah blah but still, off kershaw.

i'll buy for at least 2 weeks. 

And wasn't Schimp utterly dreadful against lefties last year?  If he could gain some confidence against southpaws and truly stick as an everyday guy, he really does start to intrigue me in 12 team mixed leagues.  At least as a bench piece (with 3B/2B eligibility in Yahoo).

Schimpf is a playable guy in daily leagues who you can match up against righties. In an OBP league, you can play him everyday. This guy has serious power at 2B and can't be overlooked. If he gets hot he can be very useful.

Definitely a drag on your average but if you can catch him during the right stretch you will be rewarded greatly. By this I mean starting him for a few weeks here and there when he is hot, and maybe he can hit .250-.260 for a few months with his enormous power. Easy to say this now, but these types of stretches from lower players tend to be key parts of winning in fantasy.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Schimpf is a playable guy in daily leagues who you can match up against righties. In an OBP league, you can play him everyday. This guy has serious power at 2B and can't be overlooked. If he gets hot he can be very useful.

Definitely a drag on your average but if you can catch him during the right stretch you will be rewarded greatly. By this I mean starting him for a few weeks here and there when he is hot, and maybe he can hit .250-.260 for a few months with his enormous power. Easy to say this now, but these types of stretches from lower players tend to be key parts of winning in fantasy.

This.  Your league settings really really matter with this guy.  I mean I never really considered this guy an option but when he was dropped pre-season in a league of mine that doesn't use average but has OBP I did a double take at his stats then added him immediately as a good bench player to have given in Yahoo he is eligible at both 2B and 3B adding even more value to him.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

4 BB in 20 PA with 6 Ks and a bomb...  Excellent walk rate, which along with pitch recognition/plate discipline is the key to being a decent "3 true outcomes" type of guy.  

Very Donkey-like so far.  $1 Adam Dunn at 2B/MI is insane value.  Hopefully he keeps this up.

Schimpf has been super impressive so far.  Taking so many walks is outstanding and will only lead to more pitches to hit going forward.  

He has a 25% BB rate right now.. His average is .130 and his  OBP is .344...   He K's a ton too but his contact percentage isn't really all that horrible.

The Adam Dunn comparison's are looking more and more apt.

1 hour ago, soisoisoi said:

not helpful

A lot of leagues use OBP instead of average these days.  Someone dropped him in one of my leagues that uses both OBP and TB (total bases) instead of average and I was happy to give him a new home.  He is prefect for that league.  A league using average instead is not so good.  So depends on your leagues as always.

Yep, he is turning out to be a solid 2B option in OBP leagues. His BABIP is the worst in the majors right now (.165 lower than last year) so hopefully the hits start trickling in. This should provide some solid RBIs as he is sitting in the 5th spot usually and the Padres top 5 doesnt look all that bad this year.

Career stats right now: 353 AB, 61 R, 27 HR, 64 RBIs.

At what point does a .207 AVG become worth it for a roto (no obp) team starved for power? That's a home run every 13 at-bats, with nice run production at MI.

Edited by Caelum

on pace for 38 hrs and 101 rbis, but a .161 ba?  OPS leagues hes still doing quite well

whats the lowest average ever with 35+ hrs

now just for fun, you are looking at a guy with 24 hits on the season, and 13 have left the park :o

Edited by Golden Spikes

Ya I almost picked him up this week for MI help but couldn't overlook the average.

And I feel like you can't have 2 padres in your team and win...

But the HR/RBI are impressive.

84 career hits and 33 are HRs 

Edited by Gumbo_Ghost

5 hours ago, tscherrer2 said:

Adam dunn hit a little above .200 with 41 HRs lol

2016 Todd Frazier hit .225 with 40 Homers. Or better yet 2010 Mark Reynolds .198 32 Homers

Edited by Cdub2k
One more example

he can't hurt your team's batting average anymore unless you play fantasy minor league baseball

I'm not really sure what the Padres hope to gain from this.  The guy is what he is.  He's not going to change his approach.  He's a home run hitting, low average guy.  This organization is obviously pretty shoddily ran.  Bad move here.  Very bad move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96GOAT said:

I'm not really sure what the Padres hope to gain from this.  The guy is what he is.  He's not going to change his approach.  He's a home run hitting, low average guy.  This organization is obviously pretty shoddily ran.  Bad move here.  Very bad move. 

Perhaps there is a bottom line to what a team can take?  Is it .200?  Is it .180? Is it .100?   There's got to be a line drawn somewhere.  I know he's got power and takes a lot of walks (usually but not lately) and this is a surprise move but those prolonged 0'fers can go on for days and must be difficult to take for any team.    I know as a fantasy owner there is just no way...

Edited by knuckleheads

1 hour ago, 96GOAT said:

a 1 trick pony.  Doesn't surprise me at all as he ain't good.  

Actually thought Spangeberg would beat him out in ST but Cory got injured.

8 hours ago, 96GOAT said:

Bad move to demote a guy hitting .158 with everyday ABs? LOL...come on now. I don't care how many HRs he has, that BA is atrocious, and he was on pace for more than 200 Ks. I'm not sure how this is a bad move. The only "bad" part about it is how long it took for them to make it.