SpecialFNK

Yoan Moncada 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

he's batting 2nd today against the Cubs.

well thats encouraging.  facing 6 righties this week as well.....

Not that I base add/drops on what other managers do with their teams but is there any reason why Moncada is being dropped in mass it seems? Starting 1/13 is that big of a deal?

41 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Not that I base add/drops on what other managers do with their teams but is there any reason why Moncada is being dropped in mass it seems? Starting 1/13 is that big of a deal?

Same case as everyone in this thread, people overreacting.  He's not going to tear it up right away, he will need some time to develop.  Would like to see him against some righties before everyone freaks out. 

1 hour ago, b0nfire said:

remember the bellinger owners who dropped and cry for them

giphy.gif

Another 0-2 and a BB today 

it's beginning to look a lot like last sept . He played 8 games and had 19at bats 4 hits 12 K's 1 BB 1 RBI . Batted .211 OBP was .250 

So far 6 games 20 at bats 

2 hits 4 RBI 3 BB - BA .   100 

just what I expected 

Might have to consider an offer or two 

Goo news for him is if he can make it until sept he might get a look at some pitchers he's faced in the minors when rosters expand 

On 7/22/2017 at 4:23 PM, Z06vette said:

All players should hustle, every damn play. I don't care if he's Mike Trout, which you'll never have to worry about that guy not hustling. A game was lost yesterday because a player didn't hustle, or had his head every where except the game, most likely both. All that being said, I agree with you.

Cespedes and his gold chains should be Booed every time. Not hustling is the worst thing a professional can do on the field IMO

9 hours ago, motown magic said:

Another 0-2 and a BB today 

it's beginning to look a lot like last sept . He played 8 games and had 19at bats 4 hits 12 K's 1 BB 1 RBI . Batted .211 OBP was .250 

So far 6 games 20 at bats 

2 hits 4 RBI 3 BB - BA .   100 

just what I expected 

Might have to consider an offer or two 

Goo news for him is if he can make it until sept he might get a look at some pitchers he's faced in the minors when rosters expand 

blog11.jpg

On 7/24/2017 at 6:51 PM, miasma16 said:

giphy.gif

Well to be fair they dropped him because the consensus view was that he was only going to be up for a few games until guys got healthy. And at the time there was a cluster of OF options still living and breathing who he was competing for at bats. 

4 hours ago, Ragnaroker said:

blog11.jpg

Yes it may be a small sample size. But I was comparing what he is doing SO FAR to last year with almost the exact same at bats. I just happen to think the trend continues.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:49 PM, b0nfire said:

remember the bellinger owners who dropped and cry for them

I don't THINK you were alluding to the fact that Moncada is going to have the same type fantasy impact that Bellinger did.  However, the people that picked him up who felt Moncada would have a drastic impact to their seasonal leagues are going to be quite disappointed.  As mentioned previously, the White Sox are downright atrociously bad.  Not exactly ideal for a young player whose coming up.

Moncada COULD keep this up and be bad. But it's too damn early to tell. Remember Bregman last year who had his horri-awful start last year when called up? Was it 2 for 38? At least that. Then he tore it up. I just have Moncada on my bench until I know better what he is this year. Don't have a knee-jerk reaction.

3 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Well to be fair they dropped him because the consensus view was that he was only going to be up for a few games until guys got healthy. And at the time there was a cluster of OF options still living and breathing who he was competing for at bats. 

That sounds a bit revisionist. There was never a consensus view. It was certainly a plausible outcome, but it was pure speculation. Largely because any young player can get sent back down. But Bellinger was called up on April 25th. And that was done in part due to Pederson getting hurt (but also the fact Bellinger crushed AAA). Adrian Gonazlez went to the DL ten days later. Toles went out for the year 5 days after that. There was very little window to even think Bellinger was going had no place to play as there have generally been at least 2 players out that play his positions 

Once he gets in a groove, then you play him.  But he shouldn't be in anyone's lineups at this point.  And I can totally see how he is being dropped in leagues that do not have keeper status.  Aaron Judge was dropped in many leagues last year as well as others call-ups mentioned in this thread.  Keeper status is the key.  Otherwise, there are better immediate/temp options on waivers to play.

This kid is gonna be special in time though.

HIs K rate has been and always will be absurdly high. Has consistently been solid at all levels of hitting the ball hard and has a decent eye. Because he's not coming out of the gates on fire shouldn't lead to panic. I remember Trouts first taste, dude couldn't buy a base hit.

11 hours ago, jester2trife said:

HIs K rate has been and always will be absurdly high. Has consistently been solid at all levels of hitting the ball hard and has a decent eye. Because he's not coming out of the gates on fire shouldn't lead to panic. I remember Trouts first taste, dude couldn't buy a base hit.

was trout's hit tool his biggest question mark coming into the majors?