SpecialFNK

Yoan Moncada 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Just watch the first 10 seconds of this youtube "highlight" of Moncada. I'm not even sure what he's doing with his turn and throw from 2nd. And then I watched a video of him accepting three crazy custom cars. I started getting that Puig 2.0 vibe and it worried me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lipitorkid said:

Just watch the first 10 seconds of this youtube "highlight" of Moncada. I'm not even sure what he's doing with his turn and throw from 2nd. And then I watched a video of him accepting three crazy custom cars. I started getting that Puig 2.0 vibe and it worried me. 

 

Hopefully he isn't another punk kid that lets money go to his head. We need more Mike Trouts in baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

 

Hopefully he isn't another punk kid that lets money go to his head. We need more Mike Trouts in baseball.

 

I mean for all I know he's a great kid, loves his parents, works hard etc... but his value is pretty high right now and he's a very interesting trade chip. I'm very curious what you can get for him in a keeper/dynasty league. In those league he might be a sell high candidate. Although SBs are so brutal in fantasy that anyone capable of stealing 35+ bases will have value no matter what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lipitorkid said:

 

I mean for all I know he's a great kid, loves his parents, works hard etc... but his value is pretty high right now and he's a very interesting trade chip. I'm very curious what you can get for him in a keeper/dynasty league. In those league he might be a sell high candidate. Although SBs are so brutal in fantasy that anyone capable of stealing 35+ bases will have value no matter what. 

 

On Wednesday I was offered Springer (round 3) for Moncada (round 12) straight up

I was leaning toward accepting, but then I peaked at his minors steals rates, and watched some highlight videos, and became enamored with him all over again.

 

We more or less know what Springer is or will be. But the heights Moncada could reach are almost hard to fathom. 

It would be devastating to trade him away now in a keeper, and have to watch a tremendous career unfold on another team. 

(of course, there is the chance he busts-- and you miss out on a top 30 player)

 

His upside is so tremendous, it's real tough to move him-- it's paralyzing in a way. It's really hard to envision him not becoming a 15 homer, 35+ steal guy--- at the worst. The batting average and OBP is the biggest concern, but I'm confident he can figure it out. 

 

also, very impressed with him in interviews. Seems pretty humble. Lumping him in with Cespedes just because of Cuba and fancy cars is unfair to Yoan. 

 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2016 at 6:08 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

 

On Wednesday I was offered Springer (round 3) for Moncada (round 12) straight up

I was leaning toward accepting, but then I peaked at his minors steals rates, and watched some highlight videos, and became enamored with him all over again.

 

We more or less know what Springer is or will be. But the heights Moncada could reach are almost hard to fathom. 

It would be devastating to trade him away now in a keeper, and have to watch a tremendous career unfold on another team. 

(of course, there is the chance he busts-- and you miss out on a top 30 player)

 

His upside is so tremendous, it's real tough to move him-- it's paralyzing in a way. It's really hard to envision him not becoming a 15 homer, 35+ steal guy--- at the worst. The batting average and OBP is the biggest concern, but I'm confident he can figure it out. 

 

also, very impressed with him in interviews. Seems pretty humble. Lumping him in with Cespedes just because of Cuba and fancy cars is unfair to Yoan. 

 

I think it's too presumptuous to say he's at worst a 35-steal guy. He dropped to 9 steals in 207 PAs at Double-A, a pretty drastic fall from what he was doing at Class A. Could be a red flag. I'll be interested to see what he does with a majority of a season at Triple-A in the steals department. 

I don't think Moncada busts but I'd be willing to deal him for a top 30 player in most cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

So what are we thinking here? Starts the year in Triple-A and up by mid-May?

That may be a little aggressive barring an injury to Brett Lawrie (which is entirely possible).  He still needs some time to develop.  I see him as a call up after the All-Star break.  He may not have much of an impact till next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't he have a minor injury near call up time last year? I just remember he quit stealing altogether, or so it seemed. Was it a leg injury or the call up that slowed him down? I remember being very disappointed when he seemed to quit running.

Edited by MugsyBogues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jvanspro said:

That may be a little aggressive barring an injury to Brett Lawrie (which is entirely possible).  He still needs some time to develop.  I see him as a call up after the All-Star break.  He may not have much of an impact till next season. 

 

To me the main issue is service time.  I guess if Lawrie is hitting really well or Moncada is hitting poorly, the timeline changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

To me the main issue is service time.  I guess if Lawrie is hitting really well or Moncada is hitting poorly, the timeline changes.

I agree with you.  I think it would really help him the spend most of the season in AAA.  His sample size in the bigs is very small and doesn't mean much as he was probably in awe.  However he did K 12 of his 20 AB's.  He seemed to really struggle with the Curveball and Slider and was swinging at pitches out of the zone.  

 

Like I said small sample in but also worth noting.  He's got great upside but I think he would benefit from more meaningful at bats in AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Didn't he have a minor injury near call up time last year? I just remember he quit stealing altogether, or so it seemed. Was it a leg injury or the call up that slowed him down? I remember being very disappointed when he seemed to quit running.

Can't run when your striking out.  Didn't he strive out on his final 9 AB's?  Sox have no need to rush him.  They will get as many seasons out of him as they can.  Anything you get out of him before September is gravy, if he can hit a breaking ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Can't run when your striking out.  Didn't he strive out on his final 9 AB's?  Sox have no need to rush him.  They will get as many seasons out of him as they can.  Anything you get out of him before September is gravy, if he can hit a breaking ball.

He is yet to attempt a stolen base at the MLB level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jvanspro said:

He is yet to attempt a stolen base at the MLB level.

Yeah. I was saying he quit running in the minors before the call up.

Edited by MugsyBogues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MugsyBogues said:

Yeah. I was saying he quit running in the minors before the call up.

 

Maybe they wanted to protect him from injury. If I was the Redsox GM I wouldn't have wanted Moncada risking his legs on meaningless MiLB steals when his speed is already proven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BJays1993 said:

 

Maybe they wanted to protect him from injury. If I was the Redsox GM I wouldn't have wanted Moncada risking his legs on meaningless MiLB steals when his speed is already proven.

I would disagree with this assessment.  Stealing a base is just as much about reading the pitcher/catcher and getting a proper jump as it is about speed.  He's super raw in that regard.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory isn't what it used to be but I seem to recall it was the coaching staff that didn't want to have him run.  They wanted him to focus on his hitting and other aspects of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

My memory isn't what it used to be but I seem to recall it was the coaching staff that didn't want to have him run.  They wanted him to focus on his hitting and other aspects of the game.

You may be right on that.  However, that just proves that he's not ready for the bigs at this point.  He will be good I just don't think this is the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really looking for much this season for fantasy contribution. He needs some time in the high minors and then another September call up. To me his time to join the MLB club is 2018 but strange things can happen in Spring training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Moncada get a bevy of AB's in AAA before the White Sox even consider calling him up. Let him dominate AAA, make improvements in terms of his pitch recognition at the plate, and then ease him in at the MLB level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this was previously posted, I apologize. 

 

Yahoo (doing Yahoo things) has given him 3B eligibility already even though he a. didn't appear at 10 games at 3B last year (only 5)

and b. didn't start 5 games last year (only 4).

 

Just an FYI for those who it may help. Better than the UTIL tag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

If this was previously posted, I apologize. 

 

Yahoo (doing Yahoo things) has given him 3B eligibility already even though he a. didn't appear at 10 games at 3B last year (only 5)

and b. didn't start 5 games last year (only 4).

 

Just an FYI for those who it may help. Better than the UTIL tag. 

In yahoo you only need 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

In yahoo you only need 5

10 games or 5 starts. Moncada got neither

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

So what are we thinking here? Starts the year in Triple-A and up by mid-May?

No.  Unless he undergoes a miracle in the minors regards breaking pitches.  Let him fail there in the minors and slowly learn from it instead of looking horrible like he did last September on the majors with the spotlight on him.

I never saw a prospect what to speak of a top prospect pulled from the starting line-up so quickly.  But what was even more weird was Farell never let him in a game after that period.  A laugher in the ninth when Ortiz was usually pulled to let a bench player hit?  Nope.  A runner in a laugher when you are behind to just see the kid steal?  Nope.  He never saw a game after that dismal start.  They said at the time they only kept him around to work with the big league coaches pre-games.  He just isn't ready for prime time.  The other color Sox who he works for now aren't going anywhere this season.  They don't need to mess him up by bringing him up early. 

He is a great talent but raw talent that never faced decent breaking balls before.  Let him learn his craft first and don't mess up his mind.  Everything they said about him in Boston was how coachable he is.  So let him be coached first.  If he is a quick learner then maybe late July or August.  If not maybe September again but better results this time around.  Or save a year of service time and wait for 2018.

He only played a few games at AA level before being called up last year and he was called up because Benintendi was having a great start so maybe Moncada could too was the thinking the front office and coaching staff admitted later.  That was flawed thinking.  Benintendi was exposed to breaking balls a lot in college and was way ahead in his learning curve.  Moncada was clueless about same.  He should never have been called up at all in retrospect.

I know it has become fashionable to call hitters up from AA directly some these last few years but this are guys who aren't as raw to the American game as the Cuban players who see few breaking ball pitchers in their time in Cuba.  Though there are exceptions to the rule, a lot of these Cuban players need more seasoning in the minors then their raw talent would suggest.  Moncada seems like he is one of them.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.