SpecialFNK

Yoan Moncada 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Interesting turn of events. Anything to see here?

 

White Sox released INF Brett Lawrie.

Lawrie has been sitting out all spring with recurring leg soreness, and the White Sox apparently had had enough. Giving him his walking papers now means they'll only have to pay a fraction of the $3.5 million he was set to make via the arbitration process. Lawrie was a highly touted prospect but has disappointed at all three stops in Toronto, Oakland and Chicago, hitting just .261/.315/.419 while having a terrible time staying healthy. He's still just 27, so some team will take a shot on him. Either Tyler Saladino or Yolmer Sanchez will likely open the season as the White Sox' second baseman, but this could speed up Yoan Moncada's timetable a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are talking about how this ensures he'll stick at second, but I thought that was a foregone conclusion. Lawrie is slightly below average a best.

 

I guess taking out a guy who could get hot clears up any controversy moving forward and ensures hell be up sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Interesting turn of events. Anything to see here?

 

White Sox released INF Brett Lawrie.

Lawrie has been sitting out all spring with recurring leg soreness, and the White Sox apparently had had enough. Giving him his walking papers now means they'll only have to pay a fraction of the $3.5 million he was set to make via the arbitration process. Lawrie was a highly touted prospect but has disappointed at all three stops in Toronto, Oakland and Chicago, hitting just .261/.315/.419 while having a terrible time staying healthy. He's still just 27, so some team will take a shot on him. Either Tyler Saladino or Yolmer Sanchez will likely open the season as the White Sox' second baseman, but this could speed up Yoan Moncada's timetable a bit.

 

Saladino is an interesting deep sleeper.

 

Moncada likely starts in the minors still but the path to playing time is clearer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if Moncada was up to start the season which he isn't would you want to start him on your fantasy team anyways?  From a dynasty perspective I would rather see him gain his confidence and work out his kinks in AAA.  In redraft I would not expect much from him this year.  He is not hitting in ST either so it will take some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Interesting turn of events. Anything to see here?

 

White Sox released INF Brett Lawrie.

Lawrie has been sitting out all spring with recurring leg soreness, and the White Sox apparently had had enough. Giving him his walking papers now means they'll only have to pay a fraction of the $3.5 million he was set to make via the arbitration process. Lawrie was a highly touted prospect but has disappointed at all three stops in Toronto, Oakland and Chicago, hitting just .261/.315/.419 while having a terrible time staying healthy. He's still just 27, so some team will take a shot on him. Either Tyler Saladino or Yolmer Sanchez will likely open the season as the White Sox' second baseman, but this could speed up Yoan Moncada's timetable a bit.

Pathway a little clearer, but think Sox maybe still take it slow with him, probably as much about just being frustrated with Lawrie, who has a lot of talent, but he appears to be on his way to 5th organization and 4th in 4 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with Lawrie out who has the best shot of becoming the White Sox starting 2b?  Is it Saladino or Yolmer Sanchez?  I agree Moncada needs more time in AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Two big flies today. One of Jason Hammel, the other off Kevin Herrera. Five errors in 14 games, though. Ouch.

He's looked awful this spring.  He's striking out a ton.  He was getting an 88MPH fastball blown by him consistently the other day.  He played well today though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the strikeouts are just going to be a part of his game. But he does seem to draw a lot of walks, too. And he's got the wheels to get a lot of cheap hits even when he's not going well. The power and speed should offset the K's, but I agree that he needs to start making plays at second base or it's going to take him some time to advance to the bigs and stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hitting .317 now

.391 OBP

1.074 OPS

 

3 more SOs than Schwarber

1 more SO than Edwin Encarnacion 

1 more SO than Keon Broxton

 

1 more BB than Schwarber 

3 more BB than Encarnacion

2 fewer BB than Keon Broxton 

 

not saying anything with those comparisons and the normal ST means nothing caveat applies. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Performing well in spring as of late with 2 doubles and a home run yesterday. Now with 8 of 13 hits going for extra bases. Needs some more seasoning to work on the strikeouts. I'm still buying in redrafts as he could be up early and impact the game greatly. I have seen comps to Corey Seager and Robby Cano.  I think the profile Is probably closer to prime Alfonso Soriano if everything comes together especially if he can tap into that raw power more often.

 

source.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Does he make the team opening day?

How's his defense been?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

How's his defense been?

Brutal but he is hitting well now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Brutal but he is hitting well now

Yeah I wonder if bad d would prevent him from starting in the bigs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah I wonder if bad d would prevent him from starting in the bigs? 

 

It starts with the D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any info on service time?

 

 

White Sox optioned 2B Yoan Moncada to Triple-A Charlotte.

Moncada had an impressive first spring training with the White Sox, batting .317/.391/.683 with three home runs over 41 at-bats. Chicago has an opening at second base that Moncada will fill eventually, but he could use a little more seasoning and the White Sox also want to keep him in the minors for a while for service time reasons.
Mar 21 - 4:42 PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Bronx Bozo said:

Anyone have any info on service time?

 

 

White Sox optioned 2B Yoan Moncada to Triple-A Charlotte.

Moncada had an impressive first spring training with the White Sox, batting .317/.391/.683 with three home runs over 41 at-bats. Chicago has an opening at second base that Moncada will fill eventually, but he could use a little more seasoning and the White Sox also want to keep him in the minors for a while for service time reasons.
Mar 21 - 4:42 PM

Moncada likely back in majors May 13 based on getting extra year of control via Rotowire

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

5/13? Thanks for providing the date. Was going to research that.

Saw it on Twitter. Another one said ~5/10

Not sure how accurate they can be, but assuming that week will be correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody else think he looks like a bulked up Roberto Alomar at the plate in terms of stance and swing path?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.