SpecialFNK

Yoan Moncada 2017 Outlook

I have to hold onto him until he gets called up don't I. I am playing to win this year, and my philosphy has always been that if a player isn't playing in the majors they don't sit on my bench; but he seems special and it is a keeper league.

My Yoan Moncada don't want none unless you got buns, hun. 

Sorry.

I just don't see him being relevant in 2017. Last year he played 61 games in A+ and 45 games in AA.... During those stints he had K%s of 21% and 30%. I doubt he can keep that K rate below 27%. If he hits better than .255 I'll be impressed. 

On 3/21/2017 at 4:16 PM, 96mnc said:

Anybody else think he looks like a bulked up Roberto Alomar at the plate in terms of stance and swing path?

yep. I see a Robby Alomar/ Robby Cano/ Bobby Abreu tribrid --- with a splash of Carlos Gonzalez.

and just coincidence that those are all latin (is that PC?) players. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Really does remind me of Cano

aesthetically, I'm totally with you.

big difference though, is that Cano has struck out 100+ times twice in his entire minors/majors career, while Moncada strikes out A LOT. (124 times last year, in 106 games)

BB advantage should definitely go to Moncada though, when it's all said and done.

this Twinkie thing is concerning. I hope his plate discipline isn't similar to his... err... "plate" discipline

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Q: Is he roster-able in leagues without NA slots in a redraft league? 5 weeks on the bench feels like such a long time, and that's being optimistic.

9 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Q: Is he roster-able in leagues without NA slots in a redraft league? 5 weeks on the bench feels like such a long time, and that's being optimistic.

Yes, he Is roster-able. Treat him like Kris Bryant a couple of years ago.

I don't thing this is parallel to Bryant, who was the minor league player of the year the previous year and clearly ready for the majors. 

Moncada is talented but many reasonable people are thinking he could use the Work at Triple-A for more than a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

I don't thing this is parallel to Bryant, who was the minor league player of the year the previous year and clearly ready for the majors. 

Moncada is talented but many reasonable people are thinking he could use the Work at Triple-A for more than a few weeks.

Bryant had similar K issues in the minors but that still didn't stop the Cubs from bringing him up. He was also a 70 FV prospect which is what Moncada is. I do believe he could use a few more weeks at the Triple A level, but that doesn't diminish the potential Kris Bryant type impact he could have. He is worth the roster spot IMO.

46 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

Yes, he Is roster-able. Treat him like Kris Bryant a couple of years ago.

It was a forgone conclusion Bryant would be up in 2 weeks or less and he destroyed Spring Training.  I would not put Moncada quite that level, but he's clearly the top prospect stash by a wide mile. 

43 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

Bryant had similar K issues in the minors but that still didn't stop the Cubs from bringing him up. He was also a 70 FV prospect which is what Moncada is. I do believe he could use a few more weeks at the Triple A level, but that doesn't diminish the potential Kris Bryant type impact he could have. He is worth the roster spot IMO.

Tearing up A-ball and Double-A is not the same as hitting at a 40 homer pace at Double-A and Triple-A as Bryant did. The white sox have no reason to rush him either. It's just not a parallel situation.

Just now, ryno1980 said:

Tearing up A-ball and Double-A is not the same as hitting at a 40 homer pace at Double-A and Triple-A as Bryant did. The white sox have no reason to rush him either. It's just not a parallel situation.

Fair enough. I still stick to my opinion though that he is knocking on the door and it won't take long for him to be up. I'm predicting he will be up by the end of April.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:05 PM, OrangeCrush said:

Really does remind me of Cano

LOL....he's nothing like Cano, really.  Lazy comparison.

Moncada reminds me of 1/3 Jacoby Ellsbury 1/3 McCutchen 1/3 Brian Downing 

Just imagine any of them playing 2B and that's what he reminds me of. 

But that's just me. 

First game tonight in AAA with the Charlotte Knights. 3/6 with 3 single, 2 runs scored, 1 stolen base, 2Ks and a walk. 3 LOB. Batted out of the 2 hole and played 2B.

Three games: 8/16, 1 SB, 1 HR. 1.217 OPS, 3 Ks, 1 walk in 17PA. Played exclusively at second base. Great first series.

Potential is there for him to be an absolute fantasy monster. I think he profiles better at 3B or CF but it really doesn't matter much. It will be a ton of peaks and valleys but his upside is just incredible. Hopefully we are not waiting past mid May but nothing is assured--even if he is tearing it up.

1. Isn't there some sort of rule about when he gets called up and not treated like a full year for arbitration, like Kris Bryant?

On 3/22/2017 at 2:54 PM, AllNoAll said:

I have to hold onto him until he gets called up don't I. I am playing to win this year, and my philosphy has always been that if a player isn't playing in the majors they don't sit on my bench; but he seems special and it is a keeper league.

I'm in the same situation in my big money league. Have the team to win it all this year. Will need his steals, but figure he could be a good trading chip if nothing else come July or August.

5 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:
  1. Isn't there some sort of rule about when he gets called up and not treated like a full year for arbitration, like Kris Bryant?

Yep, May 13 for Moncada since the Red Sox called him up in September of last year and sat him on the bench. ChiSox gain an extra year of player control at that point. If he continues to produce at this kind of clip, there will be no reason for the ChiSox not to make the move.

Combo meal action!

1/3, 2 runs, 1 rbi, 2 walks, 2 ks, HR and a SB. .391/.462/.652 through 5 games.