SpecialFNK

Yoan Moncada 2017 Outlook

Gotta disagree and say Moncada is up in June. Would have been nice to have him this month but he's got nothing to prove in Triple-A and the club can get him seasoning in the majors.

13 minutes ago, Acre said:

Gotta disagree and say Moncada is up in June. Would have been nice to have him this month but he's got nothing to prove in Triple-A and the club can get him seasoning in the majors.

Saying nothing left to prove is off the mark IMO. He still has contact issues striking out 28% of the time after striking out 30% last year. 

1 hour ago, DannyMcPot said:

Lol I keep thinking he got the call every time this thread is bumped.

Same here. Maybe he can rival Story in K% when he does eventually get the call.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:02 AM, WhiteSoxFan4Life said:

He'll be up May 17th.  Grab him now if you can.

Ok. Im doing it soley in your post! Your confidence & date specificness is pure awesomeness!

On 5/7/2017 at 2:02 AM, WhiteSoxFan4Life said:

He'll be up May 17th.  Grab him now if you can.

What info are you basing this off of?

I own him, Marte and 4 other guys who are hurt and not in my DL spots.. I essentially have 6 roster spots taken up by inactive guys, I need Moncada up already..

5 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I own him, Marte and 4 other guys who are hurt and not in my DL spots.. I essentially have 6 roster spots taken up by inactive guys, I need Moncada up already..

There is a 0.00% chance he gets called up a week before the team secures an extra year of team control. After that, it could literally be any day. That said, the longer that goes after May 15, the more likely the team becomes to wait out Super-Two. For example, if they wait till mid-June, they may just decide to wait another month and save millions of dollars in a few years (through an arbitration year).

3 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

There is a 0.00% chance he gets called up a week before the team secures an extra year of team control. After that, it could literally be any day. That said, the longer that goes after May 15, the more likely the team becomes to wait out Super-Two. For example, if they wait till mid-June, they may just decide to wait another month and save millions of dollars in a few years (through an arbitration year).

So your saying there is a chance around May 15th? I'll buy a lotto ticket for that! 

Edited by Bullys

7 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

So let's cross our fingers the day is May 15th. 

24 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

oL0Q0Y2.gif

On 5/7/2017 at 1:32 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Same here. Maybe he can rival Story in K% when he does eventually get the call.

his tools are extremely loud, no doubt. And he has basically OPS'ed .900+ at every stop.

I think it's worth considering though, he's suddenly going to be facing Sale, Kluber, Carrasco, Kimbrel, Darvish kind of arms. It's no picnic up here (unless you are Cody Bellinger, apparently)

for instance, I was watching his latest homerun in the Minors... it came off a feeble-looking dude throwing 84mph fastballs. 

He also homered off Chris Tillman, so that's encouraging. 

He is flashing the power/speed combo at Charlotte right now, but also has K'd 33 times in 108 at-bats--- so 31% of the time. 

From the left side he looks like a megastar: Cano meets Bobby Abreu meets Carlos Gonzalez (the Latin thing is a coincidence! I swear!)

From the right though, despite the prodigious pop, his swing is incomplete. He does this 85% thing without a full followthrough-- not unlike Jason Werth. He looks a lot more comfortable/natural from the left.  

Having said all that, I won't be surprised if he goes nuts and is a top 20 pick in drafts next year. In short time I can see a Dozier-like impact with a bit more speed. 

17 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

He is flashing the power/speed combo at Charlotte right now, but also has K'd 33 times in 108 at-bats--- so 31% of the time.

Minor point (kind of), but K-rate is defined off of Plate Appearances, not At Bats.

1 hour ago, oswald737 said:

Minor point (kind of), but K-rate is defined off of Plate Appearances, not At Bats.

The MILB page doesn't list plate appearances, but I foolishly calculated his K% based on at-bats anyway.

thanks for looking out! 

Fangraphs keeps K-rate for minor leaguers, so no need for maths. They don't do splits though, so I generally use the MILB apps 10 day data to look for more current K rate totals by adding ABs + walks for close to PA (still misses HBP).

For a guy like Moncada that walks 10+% of the time, using just ABs inflates a lot.

6 hours ago, oswald737 said:

So they would save millions in future contracts, but wouldn't they also possibly make quite a bit by calling him up earlier too? 

Jersey and ticket sales have to bring some hype to the area. Would like to see how much they offset each other. 

5 minutes ago, ufxskip said:

So they would save millions in future contracts, but wouldn't they also possibly make quite a bit by calling him up earlier too? 

Jersey and ticket sales have to bring some hype to the area. Would like to see how much they offset each other. 

I'm with you. I wait one more week, then call him up. That said, many teams have gone the other way (Correa being the closest recent example). The Cubs (Bryant) and Phillies (Franco) have gone my route and just waited for the year of control. 

Moncada is definitely pushing the issue.

59 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Fangraphs keeps K-rate for minor leaguers, so no need for maths. They don't do splits though, so I generally use the MILB apps 10 day data to look for more current K rate totals by adding ABs + walks for close to PA (still misses HBP).

For a guy like Moncada that walks 10+% of the time, using just ABs inflates a lot.

For the year so far he has 26,6% K%....

...but he only has 3 K so far in May in 28PA(by my calculation 22ab, 5 walks and one sac fly), thats around 10%

It's small size sample but still very positive sign.

Early day game today. Moncada has been really hot lately but...out of the lineup today. Does it mean anything??? :ph34r: #speculateaway

Shouldn't this thread be locked until he's called up? I understand why he has a thread as there was a lot of speculation in ST that he'd make the team, but like someone else mentioned, it's a huge tease to see his thread on the front page only to find discussion about his minor league K rate. 

1 minute ago, mavsfan23 said:

Shouldn't this thread be locked until he's called up? I understand why he has a thread as there was a lot of speculation in ST that he'd make the team, but like someone else mentioned, it's a huge tease to see his thread on the front page only to find discussion about his minor league K rate. 

Because he was already in the majors.  (8 games last year with Boston.)

Kind of a gray area, this is how it reads....

MILB Forum - This is the forum to discuss the future of MLB - players who are in the minors, and with *no clear timeline* of callup, or foreign import players who have yet to be confirmed making the MLB 25 man roster. Minors players (or foreign imports) who are officially listed as being called up, or with a *definite* imminent call-up date, can be discussed in the Main Forums as MLB news. Once a player has been called up to the MLB, they can remain in the Main Forum for discussion. If there is no confirmed imminent timeline for a player with no prior MLB service time, they stay down in the MILB Forum. Players who are in the minors on rehab assignment are *not* considered minors players (e.g. Francisco Liriano in 2008). The parameters of discussion are wider in this forum than in the Main Forum, since it's dedicated *solely* to MILB players. However, trade questions, or roster-specific issues that involve MLB players are still Bench Coach (BC) Forum, given the focus on MILB players only. We still stick to the one topic, one thread principle as in the Baseball Main Forum. Incidentally, due to excessive hits from spam bots, for 2009, it's now the MILB Forum - MInor League Baseball (for those who are truly interested).

So, players who are in the minors with no clear timeline of call up are in MILB forum, but also states it's for players with no prior MLB service time. Not that big of a deal really, I'll just deal with the repeated disappointment of seeing his thread without news of a call up. Hopefully those days are numbered anyway. 

19 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Once a player has been called up to the MLB, they can remain in the Main Forum for discussion.