DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

15 minutes ago, tootallball said:

Appreciate you posting, whoever wrote that is an idiot though.  That's just a miserableeeeeeeee comparison to make when arguing for them to keep playing him.  Pedroia had 1:1 K:BB rates even while struggling with a 7%!!!! k rate.  He had elite contact rates.  Guys who demonstrate the ability to make contact, especially good contact, usually have things even out over large samples.  Buxton is demonstrating bottom 1% contact rates.  He's clueless and has been his entire career except for a small sample in September last year against grocery baggers.  I'm not saying they should cut the cord but that comparison was an unfair one to make for those trying to decide whether to keep or cut bait.

Edited by Cmilne23

4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Appreciate you posting, whoever wrote that is an idiot though.  That's just a miserableeeeeeeee comparison to make when arguing for them to keep playing him.  Pedroia had 1:1 K:BB rates even while struggling with a 7%!!!! k rate.  He had elite contact rates.  Guys who demonstrate the ability to make contact, especially good contact, usually have things even out over large samples.  Buxton is demonstrating bottom 1% contact rates.  He's clueless and has been his entire career except for a small sample in September last year against grocery baggers.  I'm not saying they should cut the cord but that comparison was an unfair one to make for those trying to decide whether to keep or cut bait.

I agree that the comparison isn't a good one but I do think the Twins should slow down on this back and forth between the MLB and AAA. I think they should send him down at this point because whats happening now isnt working. As you know, he striking out 50% of the time. If it was closer to 30% I would say keep him at the MLB level. If he does get sent down I hope they don't let him get 150+ ABs at AAA and then bring him back up mid season and watch him struggle again. 

This guy is so bad that even if they merged his body with broxton, a clone of broxton/buxton, such player would still not cut MLB level.

Two of his outs didn't get out of the infield. A failed bunt attempt and a weak ground ball back to the pitcher. Now batting a hefty .085

Edited by motown magic

Harold Reynolds did this bit on MLB network where he deconstructed Buxton's swing to show that he is taking his eyes of the ball too early and should have his head pointed lower all the way up to the point where he makes contact.  Seemed plausible.  This season is probably a bust but I can see Buxton being a mechanical adjustment or two away from realizing his potential.  Probably needs a fresh offseason to re-boot himself mentally too.

Some people love to cherry pick from a comment and try to be funny . . . who said anything about next year? Could be multiple seasons.  Getting good at hitting a baseball at the major league level is hard.  

Yeah my bad. I misread.  I thought you said this season is probably a bust and he may need the off season to make an adjustment or two.  I stand corrected

I am indeed predicting that he will need a lengthier amount of time than the current season to develop into an impact MLB player that is even remotely proportionate to his prospect hype.  You read correctly, and there is plenty of precedent for top hitting prospects needing many years to adjust to major league pitching.  I did not predict that he is one off season away from becoming that player.  You did not read correctly if that was your takeaway. 

He may just be the second coming of Melvin Upton Jr. over the long haul ... just sayin'

I saw a video on Facebook that looked at his mechanics from this year and last year and he is leaning in when he swings this year. Last year  he stayed straight and drove the ball. Someone dropped him and I feel like I should grab and hold incase he figures it out. 

On 4/16/2017 at 10:17 PM, Cmilne23 said:

Byron Buxton's 9 HR last year were off of: Jose Quintana, James Shields (2), Kelvin Herrera, Danny Salazar, Justin Verlander, Chris Sale

Just sayin...

Edited by OrangeCrush

2 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Byron Buxton's 9 HR last year were off of: Jose Quintana, James Shields (2), Kelvin Herrera, Danny Salazar, Justin Verlander, Chris Sale

Just sayin...

That's actually very impressive.  Thanks for posting that.  Leads to the question then, wtf has happened?

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

That's actually very impressive.  Thanks for posting that.  Leads to the question then, wtf has happened?

The other two were Anthony Ranaudo and Hansel Robles (late-inning Mets reliever. It really is a mystery to me. I really wonder if the Twins coaching staff is to blame. Where are the coaching adjustments? This guy seems to be on an island all by himself. They have failed him. There has got to be someone in this organization who can look at film and get these adjustments figured out. Too much talent

Edited by OrangeCrush

30 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Just sayin...

What were the situations and the pitches?  I wouldn't be surprised if these guys threw something right down the middle just to see if he could make contact.  These HRs mean nothing.  He's overhyped garbage and should be in AA or AAA.

12 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

The average blood alcohol level of anyone who drafted Buxton?