DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Zombies said:

 

I agree, he's been horrid, but hardly worth writing off altogether at age 23...

Really ? Many of you hang your hat on 3-4 or 5 games of a hit or even a game without a K. you get like a kid a christmas when he steals a base or hits probably the only home run he's going to hit this season.  Think about that for a second. Is this the type of player you want on your team ? I moved past him last season. My blood pressure is down to the point I don't need meds anymore. Well it also helpred I dumped Justin Upton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, motown magic said:

Really ? Many of you hang your hat on 3-4 or 5 games of a hit or even a game without a K. you get like a kid a christmas when he steals a base or hits probably the only home run he's going to hit this season.  Think about that for a second. Is this the type of player you want on your team ? I moved past him last season. My blood pressure is down to the point I don't need meds anymore. Well it also helpred I dumped Justin Upton.

 

 

Well it certainly depends on the format...Redraft he's obviously worthless and in keeper leagues he has virtually no value right now...However, in Dynasty leagues where you can keep your entire roster with no salaries he still has value...

 

BTW, the only HR he'll hit all season??? So with Buxton it's either unrealistic expectations or zero expectations...I guess there's no middle ground...Let us not forget he hit 9 (9 times) in September last season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am holding buxton in 2 leagues. One is a keep 5 and I have an open bench spot that I never use. The other is a deep dynasty where if I dropped him he would certainly get scooped up because he is getting regular ABs and is still so young. He is showing signs of life recently so to say he is completely worthless is crazy imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buxton, a perennial top prospect with every tool in the shed. Arguably the fastest guy in the league behind Hamilton. Was rushed to the majors while being jerked around by the Twins in the process. Is only 23 years old, and has shown signs of turning around a horrendous plate approach.

 

But yeah, he's has no value in a dynasty ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, he's a guy you can hold in a dynasty league with deep benches on the chance he one day figures it out.  But my god, the peripherals are awful.  Obviously still not a large sample, but he has the third worst contact rate.  That breaks down as fifth worst Z-contact and seventh worst O-contact.  Granted, quality of contact can make up for quantity, i.e. Nelson Cruz is batting over .300 and is one of the four with a lower Z-contact.  So let's look at quality of contact.  He has a hard hit rate of 23.9% (bottom 20 in the league) and a soft hit rate of 37.0% (second highest in the league).  He's not going to raise his average a whole lot with those kinds of peripherals.  

 

At this point he's useless in fantasy and is only useful in reality for his glove, but if he can't learn to hit 20 or 30 points above the Mendoza line that'll only last for so long.  He's still just 23 and has potential, but I've seen no real improvement from last season to this; if anything he may have gotten worse.  Anything's possible down the line, and I hope we can talk about him as an All-Star in a few years, or at the very least as a competent player.  I just don't think his chances at either looks good right now.

Edited by phillyphan21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

Sure, he's a guy you can hold in a dynasty league with deep benches on the chance he one day figures it out.  But my god, the peripherals are awful.  Obviously still not a large sample, but he has the third worst contact rate.  That breaks down as fifth worst Z-contact and seventh worst O-contact.  Granted, quality of contact can make up for quantity, i.e. Nelson Cruz is batting over .300 and is one of the four with a lower Z-contact.  So let's look at quality of contact.  He has a hard hit rate of 23.9% (bottom 20 in the league) and a soft hit rate of 37.0% (second highest in the league).  He's not going to raise his average a whole lot with those kinds of peripherals.  

 

At this point he's useless in fantasy and is only useful in reality for his glove, but if he can't learn to hit 20 or 30 points above the Mendoza line that'll only last for so long.  He's still just 23 and has potential, but I've seen no real improvement from last season to this; if anything he may have gotten worse.  Anything's possible down the line, and I hope we can talk about him as an All-Star in a few years, or at the very least as a competent player.  I just don't think his chances at either looks good right now.

 

We can all admit he had a terrible start this season. However, the last 2 weeks or so he has shown improved plate discipline, increased contact rate, more hard contact, and has a wRC+ above league average. His deeper plate discipline stats in that span are very comparable to his teammate Miguel Sano. So no, I don't think this guy is a terrible player. He seems to me just a young player who was rushed and is still trying to figure things out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs whoever Aaron judge's hitting coach is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osu1456 said:

 

We can all admit he had a terrible start this season. However, the last 2 weeks or so he has shown improved plate discipline, increased contact rate, more hard contact, and has a wRC+ above league average. His deeper plate discipline stats in that span are very comparable to his teammate Miguel Sano. So no, I don't think this guy is a terrible player. He seems to me just a young player who was rushed and is still trying to figure things out.

 

I really do hope that's the case, but how many times do we see a guy look decent for two or three weeks before ultimately finishing with mediocre numbers.  He hasn't been there long enough that I've given up all hope that he'll be something, but he has been there long enough that I need to see him sustain improvement for more than two weeks before I can take what he's doing with more than a grain of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gopherman23 said:

Last 12 Games:

 

.333/.441/.472 (.913) 9K, 7BB

 

 

 

 

but why isn't he stealing bases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It baffles me that people are arguing so passionately against this guy.  Should Byron Buxton be the cornerstone of your outfield? Obviously no.  But his talent really is quite obvious and at age 23 you have to expect growing pains.   The last two weeks are just a taste of what he can do.  In a keeper league or on a well drafted team with room on the bench  you should  wait for a project like Buxton to come to fruition . This guy is a steal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld showing some love...

 

Byron Buxton went 3-for-4 with a double Tuesday. He started walking two weeks ago, and he’s .357/.455/.571 over his last nine games. It’s past time to grab him in any leagues in which he’s available. As of Tuesday, that was 72 percent of Yahoo Leagues.

 

... I've held all year and reach for him on draft day. I still believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got 3 hits and suddenly I am supposed to drop someone like Alonso for him just cause he is hitting the ball bit lately? Pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No because Alonso has changed his batting tendencies. I don't think anyone say drop him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

Rotoworld showing some love...

 

Byron Buxton went 3-for-4 with a double Tuesday. He started walking two weeks ago, and he’s .357/.455/.571 over his last nine games. It’s past time to grab him in any leagues in which he’s available. As of Tuesday, that was 72 percent of Yahoo Leagues.

 

... I've held all year and reach for him on draft day. I still believe.

 

Rotoworld blurb quality has been off lately. Yeah he started walking 2 weeks ago... but he had zero walks last week. So if we were to think there was some kind of sustainable change in plate discipline, that statement is misleading.

 

And they are still saying to sell high on Alonso...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lassetjus said:

 

Rotoworld blurb quality has been off lately. Yeah he started walking 2 weeks ago... but he had zero walks last week. So if we were to think there was some kind of sustainable change in plate discipline, that statement is misleading.

 

And they are still saying to sell high on Alonso...

 

There's nothing off about that blurb. He's rocking a 5:5 K:BB ratio over the past 15 days, with a .357 avg. 

 

Last night he went 3-for-4. He saw 19 pitches. ONE swinging strike -- from a guy who still has a 16.5% SwSt rate. I watched each of his ABs, and he's seeing the ball SO much better. Rather than swing and miss at curveballs / sliders that start down the middle and dip low and away, he watched them and got the count in his favor. This was most noticeable in his 3rd inning double. Faced with a 1-2 pitch, he laid off a nice 84 MPH splitter, then took a close 94 MPH fastball for ball 3. He fouled off two tough pitches, and on the 8th pitch, rocketed a double to left center. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99.5% of players take some time to adjust to each level they advance to. There is no scientific or definitive amount of time to adjust that can be said for every player. Every player is unique. Perhaps he is starting to adjust to the highest level. 

 

I just want to see him keep his recent OBP surge up for a while longer. Next will come the wheels and the dingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this holds up someone needs to hire torri hunter as some part of their coaching staff IMMEDIATELY. Buxton's take off started the day after hunter had the one BP session with him on that off day and I don't think it's a coincidence. Whatever he told him seems to be working. Meanwhile guys like bonds and McGwire keep getting hitting coach jobs based on only their tainted playing careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even during his hot streak, he has been a 1, maybe 2 category player.   12 games    12 for 36    9 runs, which is good.  1 HR 4 RBI.  2 SB    He hasn't helped your fantasy team, much, even during his hot streak.  If you play roto and not points.

I'm out of moves this week, but if he keeps it up I will drop Peralta for him.  I'd like at least one share of him

Edited by rich22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 10, 2017 at 3:39 PM, rich22 said:

Even during his hot streak, he has been a 1, maybe 2 category player.   12 games    12 for 36    9 runs, which is good.  1 HR 4 RBI.  2 SB    He hasn't helped your fantasy team, much, even during his hot streak.  If you play roto and not points.

I'm out of moves this week, but if he keeps it up I will drop Peralta for him.  I'd like at least one share of him

 

Tough to expect much fantasy wise from a guy hitting in the 9th spot of the twins lineup. Expect a move up the lineup soon though if he keeps improving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 2:21 PM, Wytchclt55 said:

If this holds up someone needs to hire torri hunter as some part of their coaching staff IMMEDIATELY. Buxton's take off started the day after hunter had the one BP session with him on that off day and I don't think it's a coincidence. Whatever he told him seems to be working. Meanwhile guys like bonds and McGwire keep getting hitting coach jobs based on only their tainted playing careers.

Torii is already employed by the Twins. I believe he is a special assistant to the GM officially. He will be going around to each minor league affiliate and helping out with some instruction. He is also doing 10 or so TV broadcasts. And like you saw with him working with Buxton, Torii will be around to help out with the big club as needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy has seemingly been hyped for the last 5 years or so, yet he continues to be a dud. I would not hang on to him unless I were desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.