DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

1 minute ago, phillyphan21 said:

He has a .262 (sixth worst) OBP.

Haha sorry. I should have said recently. I think the last 28 days he's had a 313 OBP. That's not very good but I just meant it's a boost compared to his avg and makes things a little easier to swallow in OBP leagues. 

Just now, mulhollandvelvet said:

Haha sorry. I should have said recently. I think the last 28 days he's had a 313 OBP. That's not very good but I just meant it's a boost compared to his avg and makes things a little easier to swallow in OBP leagues. 

Fair enough, though even then I'd say he's go and stop at best.  .313 over last 28, but also .229 over last 14, and .316 over last 7.  Granted you can get those differences in any player, but the fact that the good stretches are still in the low range is a red flag.  He has natural talent, but it still hasn't translated to the MLB level.

43 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

Fair enough, though even then I'd say he's go and stop at best.  .313 over last 28, but also .229 over last 14, and .316 over last 7.  Granted you can get those differences in any player, but the fact that the good stretches are still in the low range is a red flag.  He has natural talent, but it still hasn't translated to the MLB level.

Yeah I mean at this point I'm just looking for any sliver of positivity with him. I'd like to see him get at least another crack higher up in the lineup at some point this year but who knows. Could be a lost cause. 

8 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Yeah I mean at this point I'm just looking for any sliver of positivity with him. I'd like to see him get at least another crack higher up in the lineup at some point this year but who knows. Could be a lost cause. 

Agreed. Sitting at the bottom of the order doesn't seem to be doing him any favors. I think they should give him another shot higher up as well. Maybe he catches a little fire. Wishful thinking? Maybe..

Why would the Twins mess with what's working ? He' s lucky he's still in the major leagues . Prove you can hit at the bottom consistently and maybe you get moved up. A hit and a walk here and there ain't going to cut it . Another long rough patch and he could he gone . 

17 hours ago, motown magic said:

Why would the Twins mess with what's working ? He' s lucky he's still in the major leagues . Prove you can hit at the bottom consistently and maybe you get moved up. A hit and a walk here and there ain't going to cut it . Another long rough patch and he could he gone . 

He ain't going back down. His defense is too good. The Twins wouldn't be where they are in the standings without his outfield play

I just wish he would steal more when he gets on base. 

2 hours ago, rabaak said:

He ain't going back down. His defense is too good. The Twins wouldn't be where they are in the standings without his outfield play

He has been stealing lately. 3SB in the last week. He just needs to hit. I still haven't dropped him I just can't let him go sigh.

Buxton pinch hit for consecutive days. He is done. Twins don't even care about his defense as they're only in the 6th.

29 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Buxton pinch hit for consecutive days. He is done. Twins don't even care about his defense as they're only in the 6th.

Broadcast just said he was injured.

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

This guy is a total thief...

Stealing hell of bases lately

It would be nice to see his hit or walk per game continue to lead to a stolen base. He has the speed certainly. Not a lot of SB options this year in agents, nothing close to reliable. If he hits .200 a week with a a couple stolen bases I'd take that for now as we hope he ripens as the year goes on. Hitting bottom of lineup, if he has luck stealing you'd think he'd keep trying as to provide his team with some production, dont see why the manager wouldn't green light him with his speed.

Anyone think the SBs will continue consistently or just a good week or so recently ?

9 minutes ago, tonywow said:

It would be nice to see his hit or walk per game continue to lead to a stolen base. He has the speed certainly. Not a lot of SB options this year in agents, nothing close to reliable. If he hits .200 a week with a a couple stolen bases I'd take that for now as we hope he ripens as the year goes on. Hitting bottom of lineup, if he has luck stealing you'd think he'd keep trying as to provide his team with some production, dont see why the manager wouldn't green light him with his speed.

Anyone think the SBs will continue consistently or just a good week or so recently ?

I think he's legit a SB threat and not a HR threat. The kid has wheels. If he can maintain being patient at the plate and making contact, I think we see him put it "halfway" together... I'm hoping on 20SB this season (dynasty league). He's up to 9SB and 1CS. I'm liking what I've seen lately... Tori Hunter is my hero. 

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

On 5/25/2017 at 0:58 AM, rabaak said:

That might be overselling it a bit.  He's been with 1 win so far this year, which puts him on pace to be just above a 3 win player.

That's not bad.  He's a slightly above average player.

17 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

That might be overselling it a bit.  He's been with 1 win so far this year, which puts him on pace to be just above a 3 win player.

That's not bad.  He's a slightly above average player.

All because of defense. From a fantasy stand point the K's are just absurd.

1 hour ago, Mexi1024 said:

All because of defense. From a fantasy stand point the K's are just absurd.

Absurd is a bit of a stretch. He's also walking a healthy amount.

Since April 25th, when he had BP with Torii Hunter, his K-rate is under 30%, and walks are over 12%. The Ks suck, but absurd is a stretch when his slash line in that span is .268/.362/.378 with 8SB and 11R scored in 96PA.

He's looked much better lately. Redraft I don't know why you'd have him. Keeper/dynasty I think you still need to hold him at age 23.

And let's keep in mind that the Twins are brutal for prospects... This kid has 62GP at AAA... A mere 245AB. He has a whopping 566AB in the MLB... Why is that the case? YEah, he did well at AAA but 62GP? Damn... Give the kid a real season down there.

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030

1 hour ago, TTRA1N said:

Always getting pinch hit for.

This was an insane pinch hit scenario, the angels were walking ANYONE that was up to bat to set up a possible DP because it was 2nd/third 1 out, yet they still pinch hit him and the pinch hitter gets intentionally walked, like what kind of idiotic management is that? I have zero stock in buxton or anything to even do with the game, it was the only basebalI on, just thought that was just such a lack of awareness by the manager to do something like that to pull a guy when defense is his calling right now anyway, plus taking away his speed on the bases to thwart a possible DP on top of it, smh twins management will never ever figure it out.

9 hours ago, motown magic said:

A one catagory player . Maybe

Yep, unfortunately they don't count since he isn't a pitcher.  Could really use all those K's he offers for my staff.

58 minutes ago, zingzing said:

This was an insane pinch hit scenario, the angels were walking ANYONE that was up to bat to set up a possible DP because it was 2nd/third 1 out, yet they still pinch hit him and the pinch hitter gets intentionally walked, like what kind of idiotic management is that? I have zero stock in buxton or anything to even do with the game, it was the only basebalI on, just thought that was just such a lack of awareness by the manager to do something like that to pull a guy when defense is his calling right now anyway, plus taking away his speed on the bases to thwart a possible DP on top of it, smh twins management will never ever figure it out.

They've miss handled him from the beginning and continue to do so. Surprised they haven't ruined Sano. Twins don't deserve either.

Edited by TTRA1N

4 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

They've miss handled him from the beginning and continue to do so. Surprised they haven't ruined Sano. Twins don't deserve either.

Thats your opinion.

I think a major league baseball team knows a hell of of lot more about players then anybody here.

Its easy to second guess. If he were having a good season would they still be mishandling him?

Ever think this guy is just not going to be what people thought he would be? I've said it over and over. The minor leagues are a different level. That next step is huge. Not many take it and stay . Sure he's fast and has power. Nobody disputing that. But major league pitchers are smarter and better than minor league pitchers. They adjust . He clearly hasn't and can't .

Edited by motown magic

Well, you can't give the Twins all the blame for Buxton sucking at 23 y/o and then in the same breath not give them any credit for Sano at 24.

If anything, Sano is evidence that Buxton just kinda sucks, is maybe headed for a quadruple A type career, and his talent level may have always been way overrated.

Edited by Fiveohnine