DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

Mine too. 1 more HR im taking the plunge again.

Looks very solid. The fact that he has the green light means all he needs to do is hit 250 and he's startable.

last chance to buy in for nothing (ready to eat my words naturally)

Edited by Magoo

I picked this guy up today...Probably nothing.  But worth a lotto ticket.  

He's riding the pine so no harm, no foul.  But if something actually clicked?   

Giggity.

definitely not a bad flier, but i'm still leery any of this a real breakthrough.. it's literally been a five game hot-streak. could it be something more? absolutely, but there's nothing to suggest it is other than wishful thinking.

he will get red hot until the all star break and then totally forget his approach and go ice cold until September.  Book it.  Rinse/Repeat.

I have re acquired this guy. My team is desperate for steals with Trout and E Nunez on the DL.

As long as he keeps his OBP above .300 I think I can stomach him. 

For what it's worth, apparently he's ditched the high leg kick around the time of the Boston series.  This is his 3rd consecutive multiple hit game after never having even 2 all season. So this newfound approach is obviously paying off dividends.  

I'm not saying drop anyone valuable for him, but if you can roster him somehow, I think he's someone you should definitely give a hard look at as a speculative add to see if something is really going on here.

Again, don't drop anyone valuable for him, but if you can, get him on your bench NOW.  Who knows, he could blow up.  He's only 23, in his 3rd MLB yr (more like 2.5), 2 yrs younger than Judge. Sometimes these things take time.  

Here we go again with he's getting hot better grab him . Go back every 5-7 pages and find the same stuff 

sorry but a handful good games e very three or four weeks doesn't help much

i will give you that he's over the .200 mark or was . Haven't followed 

38 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Here we go again with he's getting hot better grab him . Go back every 5-7 pages and find the same stuff 

I drafted in the 9th round and held until about a couple weeks ago. Im back on the ship sigh. He is up to .216.

51 minutes ago, motown magic said:

I think that's a fair point.  I haven't followed Buxton too closely but just a cursory look at his stats show that he's been pretty darn sorry lol.  

But has he employed a different stance or approach in previous times as well? Genuinely asking because I haven't kept up with Buxton's career much.  Because if this is the first time he's actually trying a new approach and it's paying dividends, might be worth a flier.  

But who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if he sucked balls again like you said. 

How about he bats somewhere other than 9th, and we can talk 

This guy is a 1 dimensional baseball player. He has proven he is a generational defensive CF. But he could hit himself out of a wet paper bag. Floating around .200 at the mid point. Year after year. He reminds of of Randal Grichuk. Tears up AAA and then comes up and cant hit water. 

16 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

I drafted in the 9th round and held until about a couple weeks ago. Im back on the ship sigh. He is up to .216.

With an OBP of .286!

As always I'll have an eye on how he develops.  I hate to admit that given how awful he has been but..."upside" I guess.

2 hours ago, markygunit said:

For what it's worth, apparently he's ditched the high leg kick around the time of the Boston series.  This is his 3rd consecutive multiple hit game after never having even 2 all season. So this newfound approach is obviously paying off dividends.  

Ha I remember when he first started the leg kick. Everyone here got all excited thinking that it would solve all his problems. Wellll....

1 minute ago, Baur10 said:

With an OBP of .286!

As always I'll have an eye on how he develops.  I hate to admit that given how awful he has been but..."upside" I guess.

I feel ya lol. For how straight trash he has been he is still on pace for about 10HR 30+SBs. if he could only hit a little.

The only thing thats making him relevant at all is his SB production, if you take out sb, he is FA bottom of the barrel.

without the steals he isn't even in the barrel 

But with those steals comes the other sh!tty numbers 

no thanks 

57 minutes ago, markygunit said:

He's been pretty good since his new batting approach.

Maybe but no power, but hey if he can at least hit and get sbs thats not bad.

13 hours ago, markygunit said:

He's been pretty good since his new batting approach.

When did he change he approach. He has been better lately so I was wondering if something clicked or if he changed something. 

Anyone who lost Harper should be taking a look at Buxton right now. Plate discipline has been significantly better, batted ball profile looks good, blazing speed, elite prospect upside.  He is certainly worth a flyer. 

1 hour ago, Jimmymckrack said:

Anyone who lost Harper should be taking a look at Buxton right now. Plate discipline has been significantly better, batted ball profile looks good, blazing speed, elite prospect upside.  He is certainly worth a flyer. 

Yes! Hitting around .320 over the last month. Not much pop unfortunately but he need to be moved up that sorry line up.

6 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Yes! Hitting around .320 over the last month. Not much pop unfortunately but he need to be moved up that sorry line up.

Not much pop but at least league average. If you have the MLB at bat app, watch the clip of his homer on Saturday. He hit a laser to right center but most importantly watch how freaking quick he got to third base before realizing it was a homer. The guy is uber fast. 

Today so far he hit a 2nd deck bomb and took a couple of awesome sliders from Shaw for balls to take a walk. Would have had the steal at 2nd easily but the ball was put in play down the line and he scored easily.

Last 11 games including today with another AB to go: 13 H, 8R, 8 RBI, 2 HR, 3 SB.