DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Pernil said:

En Fuego!!!

Seriously, I never thought I would say this but Buxton is carrying my team into the playoffs! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving himself right into keeper consideration for me. Keep 5.

Edited by TTRA1N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, St3v3k4hn said:

Seriously, I never thought I would say this but Buxton is carrying my team into the playoffs! 

 

He is playing so well I may have to bring him up from the minor league roster so he can help me in the playoffs. hes been hitting great for over a month now.  I hope this breakout is legit and he can come out hitting like this next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slider Curve and Fastball all history.  All 3 pitches got out of the park in an effing hurry.  Such a fluid swing now.  Way to go Buck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

uh, so i guess it's safe to say hes figuring it out. holy heck what a day and what a month he's been having. 

 

with this type of awakening, what do y'all see him as next year's rankings go for redraft and keeper leagues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

 

He is playing so well I may have to bring him up from the minor league roster so he can help me in the playoffs. hes been hitting great for over a month now.  I hope this breakout is legit and he can come out hitting like this next season. 

just curious but how is he eligible for a minor league roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe he is the real deal folks.  He has a great approach and clearly the game is slowed down for him so his talent is finally shining through.  So slumps should not last too long with Buck in the future. Wrists look fine too lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had this guy even before Judge in ESPN but who the eff knows if he won't end up higher on the ESPN player rater by this time next year....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to his speed, if this guy can truly figure out hitting and hit for power.... top 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All those homers today were pulled missiles. We've seen him finish strong before but this time feels a bit different. I'm optimistic he's figuring it out for the long haul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STLSU said:

I believe he is the real deal folks.  He has a great approach 

What has led you to the conclusion that he has a "great approach". He strikes out 31% of the time and only walks 8% - that's nearly 4:1 ratio of K:BB. He swings at 32% of pitches he sees that are outside the zone. He swings and misses over 13% of the time.

All those numbers are below league average. Nothing about what he has done this year has shown us "great approach". While this is a nice hot streak he's on right now, he was godawful for 800 PA's spread over the last 3 years. Its going to take a whole lot more than a few week of good results to say he has anything resembling a great approach imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cs3 said:

What has led you to the conclusion that he has a "great approach". He strikes out 31% of the time and only walks 8% - that's nearly 4:1 ratio of K:BB. He swings at 32% of pitches he sees that are outside the zone. He swings and misses over 13% of the time.

All those numbers are below league average. Nothing about what he has done this year has shown us "great approach". While this is a nice hot streak he's on right now, he was godawful for 800 PA's spread over the last 3 years. Its going to take a whole lot more than a few week of good results to say he has anything resembling a great approach imo.

Buxton changed his approach back in June, which has correlated with his increase in production. He no longer uses an exagerated leg kick and he also changed his pre-swing hand placement. Since he made the changes he is only striking out around 23% of the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Age 23 season-

 

BJ Upton- .894 OPS 

.300/86/24/82/22

21.8 K%, 11.9 BB% 

 

Buxton- .715 OPS

.249/52/13/37/24

28.7 K%, 7.9 BB%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Age 23 season-

 

BJ Upton- .894 OPS 

.300/86/24/82/22

21.8 K%, 11.9 BB% 

 

Buxton- .715 OPS

.249/52/13/37/24

28.7 K%, 7.9 BB%

 

Great! We sure don't want him following BJ's career arc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Age 23 season-

 

BJ Upton- .894 OPS 

.300/86/24/82/22

21.8 K%, 11.9 BB% 

 

Buxton- .715 OPS

.249/52/13/37/24

28.7 K%, 7.9 BB%

BJ is a guy who peaked early in his career.  It remains to be seen what happens wth Buxton. 

 

Byron was so bad in the first few months that his production right now should be a sign that he has made some adjustments.  Can he sustain it?  Who knows.  Pitchers will start adjusting to the new Buxton and we will see how he responds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cs3 said:

What has led you to the conclusion that he has a "great approach". He strikes out 31% of the time and only walks 8% - that's nearly 4:1 ratio of K:BB. He swings at 32% of pitches he sees that are outside the zone. He swings and misses over 13% of the time.

All those numbers are below league average. Nothing about what he has done this year has shown us "great approach". While this is a nice hot streak he's on right now, he was godawful for 800 PA's spread over the last 3 years. Its going to take a whole lot more than a few week of good results to say he has anything resembling a great approach imo.

Clearly you missed my earlier posts in the thread speaking of his batting stance and game plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Age 23 season-

 

BJ Upton- .894 OPS 

.300/86/24/82/22

21.8 K%, 11.9 BB% 

 

Buxton- .715 OPS

.249/52/13/37/24

28.7 K%, 7.9 BB%

 

How is this relevant? Another talented player showed a flash of production, then failed. We knew that was possible with Buxton, but this comparison doesn't really inform us at all about the topic.

 

Buxton was the top prospect in the game when he arrived. He is already an outstanding defender and a threat on the bases, but it has taken him some time to figure it out as a hitter. At age 23, some mechanical adjustments followed by a strong second half could be the real deal. It is no sure thing, but that's always the case with post-hype sleepers.You have to look for big-time talent, which Buxton has, and reasons why he might be turning things around, such as a change in mechanics. 

 

I've never been great with prospects, but i've had winning fantasy baseball teams because I can find guys worth taking a chance on like Buxton. That is where you  can find great values. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Piotr said:

 

How is this relevant? Another talented player showed a flash of production, then failed. We knew that was possible with Buxton, but this comparison doesn't really inform us at all about the topic.

 

Buxton was the top prospect in the game when he arrived. He is already an outstanding defender and a threat on the bases, but it has taken him some time to figure it out as a hitter. At age 23, some mechanical adjustments followed by a strong second half could be the real deal. It is no sure thing, but that's always the case with post-hype sleepers.You have to look for big-time talent, which Buxton has, and reasons why he might be turning things around, such as a change in mechanics. 

 

I've never been great with prospects, but i've had winning fantasy baseball teams because I can find guys worth taking a chance on like Buxton. That is where you  can find great values. 

 

 

Are you aware that BJ Upton was the #2 prospect in all of baseball? 

 

There are a lot of similarities in these two former top prospects who just ooze talent due to their tools & athletic ability, but struggle with plate discipline. So I think the "point of the comparison" was quite obvious, though I knew Buxton owners wouldn't like to see it. 

 

Do with the comparison what you will. It's more for keeper and dynasty owners to contemplate if they get another owner who thinks he's figured it out and they're willing to pay a king's ransom for the former top prospect in baseball. I'm very skeptical Buxton will ever be more than a .250/15/45 OF which of course is plenty valuable. But it's peak BJ Upton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.