DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

5 hours ago, cs3 said:

You proclaim that he has a "great approach" when every single relevant metric tells us he has been below average in every stat that describes plate discipline and approach throughout his MLB career, and I'm the one who's speaking like a child?

I assure you, I understand baseball better than the vast majority of fantasy players, and have a better grasp of both the fundamentals of baseball and sabermetric statistical analysis/principals, than most people in this thread.

Once again you are using entire season's worth of statistics to deflect and create a strawman rather than answer actual points raised.  Your first sentence again is meaningless like the earlier post to the analysis here.

25 minutes ago, STLSU said:

Once again you are using entire season's worth of statistics to deflect and create a strawman rather than answer actual points raised. 

You're right. 21 days worth of statistics is way more meaningful than 21 weeks. Can't believe nobody else came to that obvious conclusion, incredible analysis!

Edited by cs3

16 hours ago, cs3 said:

You're right. 21 days worth of statistics is way more meaningful than 21 weeks. Can't believe nobody else came to that obvious conclusion, incredible analysis!

Once again you are arguing about something completely irrelevant to our discussion. Have fun with that.

23 hours ago, cs3 said:

The ball has been juiced since at least last year. Probably for as long as ~3 years. How many 30/30 players did we have last year? 

And I dont think you really understand how great of a hitter Soriano was. He consistently hit over .280. His rookie season he posted a 20% K rate. In his prime years it was down around 18%. Do you really think that Buxton can reduce his K rate by ~40% and shave off 12 points from his K rate?? Seems incredibly unlikely to me

Has this been proven or is this just speculation?

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Has this been proven or is this just speculation?

The ball is tighter and livelier but within the allowable specs.  

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

And the bats?

I wouldn't think there's anything with the bats.  Hadn't really occurred to me though.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:08 PM, Under500Forever said:

He is playing so well I may have to bring him up from the minor league roster so he can help me in the playoffs. hes been hitting great for over a month now.  I hope this breakout is legit and he can come out hitting like this next season. 

On 8/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, STLSU said:

just curious but how is he eligible for a minor league roster?

@STLSU in my dynasty League we have a 10 max MiLB system. When you draft a minor leaguer they stay on the MiLB roster until you bring them up to your MLB roster. Once the player is brought up you can't send him back down so you want to be sure said player is ready before you commit to him taking up a roster spot on your active roster. Buxton has had alot of struggles so I never brought him up but I may need his help making a playoff push. 

1 minute ago, Under500Forever said:

@STLSU in my dynasty League we have a 10 max MiLB system. When you draft a minor leaguer they stay on the MiLB roster until you bring them up to your MLB roster. Once the player is brought up you can't send him back down so you want to be sure said player is ready before you commit to him taking up a roster spot on your active roster. Buxton has had alot of struggles so I never brought him up but I may need his help making a playoff push. 

yeah i would go for it if you have a feeling of victory.

5 minutes ago, STLSU said:

yeah i would go for it if you have a feeling of victory.

My team is decent but i feel I don't match up well with the other teams so I need all the help I can get. I just worry he will slide back into his old habits. Guess that's the risk you take.

he looks great though

sorry if this got dragged into BC territory 

Just now, Under500Forever said:

My team is decent but i feel I don't match up well with the other teams so I need all the help I can get. I just worry he will slide back into his old habits. Guess that's the risk you take.

he looks great though

sorry if this got dragged into BC territory 

kinda similar.  ESPN starts next week and I'm 3rd where the top 2 are clearly defined.  

Buxton has stuck with things for about a month or so and he'll need to carry through to the end.  I think he's got his body trained so the mechanics are consistent (hopefully).

Something to keep in mind is that almost all of Buxton's improvement this year has come against LHP. His numbers vs RHP are pretty similar to his career stats, so he will definitely need to figure out righties in order to sustain his recent success.

I have no dog in this fight.  I would be over the moon if he continued his ascension and blew up in 2018 because I picked him up in my keeper league for absolutely free.  But I'd have zero surprises if he turned back into a pumpkin next yr.

But man, if he ends up finishing this yr with 20-30 and OPSing .800+...WOW, that would be something.  The fact that he even has an outside chance for a 20-30 after his ridiculously abysmal start (this kid almost struck out in half of his ABs in April while batting .147!!!) is quite insane.

Buxton's K rate this month is 23% vs 34% last September so I have hope for Buck.

His left hand slipped off the bat on a swing.  Could be looking at a CC situation but I believe the pinky is the concern rather than the thumb.

Not in the lineup today, no word on the extent of the injury. Uggh, can't field a lineup today without him.

16 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I dropped him based on the vague reports from last night. I hope it's not too bad though.

I'd love to drop him too but I just can't get myself to do it in a Dynasty. Re-Draft I probably would.

33 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

Not in the lineup today, no word on the extent of the injury. Uggh, can't field a lineup today without him.

Rhett BollingerVerified account @RhettBollinger

Buxton said it's a hamate injury in his left hand. Underwent an MRI exam this morning. Results coming soon.