JenksDodger

Luis Castillo - SP CIN

Off-the-radar type, Luis Castillo is a 6'2, 170lb flame thrower in the Miami Marlins system.. A lot of people know him from the botched Padres/Marlins trade in 2016 in which Colin Rea was injured during his first outing and in turn ended up being shipped back to San Diego (Castillo returned to Miami).. With how bad the Marlins rotation is this year and given the fact that he's 24, most likely starting in AA, there's a chance he's up in 2017 (obviously depending on performance). 

Castillo has legit 100mph velocity but mainly works between 96-98mph.. The slider has a chance to be a plus pitch. As with a bunch of minor league starters, the change up could be the deciding factor whether he stays as a starter.. there's a possibility he becomes a back-end closer type. Most prospect sites grade the change-up to be below-average with a chance of becoming an average pitch with more refining. 

BP put a grade of 60 on him and some say he has #2 type ceiling if the change develops as expected.. 

Some quotes: 

Prospect 361: Rated #1 prospect in the Marlins org

Scouting Report:  Castillo started his career as a reliever in the Giants organization but the Marlins moved him to the rotation in 2015 and he took off.  He has premium stuff with a fastball that can bump triple-digits and a slider with a nasty two-plane break.  He also shows a feel for a change-up.  What improved this year was his ability to throw strikes.  He repeated his mechanics much better and the results were impressive.

Assuming he stays healthy, and sometimes converted relievers don’t, he has the ceiling of a number two starter.  He should begin 2017 back in Double-A with a chance to see Triple-A, or even the majors later in the year.

Fantasy Impact: Castillo is a name that Dynasty League owners need to know.  He’s not owned in a lot of leagues, but could sneak into our Top 100 list.  There’s a lot to like including a high strikeout rate potential, a better than league-average ground-ball rate and good ratios.

Baseball prospectus: Graded 60 future potential with a back-end RP as a possibility.

Good control of arsenal and has a good idea on how to pitch; needs more consistency with the breaking ball; has the ceiling of a 3/4 starter but I see as a high-leverage reliever, definite interest. 

Baseball America: #2 Marlins prospect..

The Future: With an overpowering fastball and the potential for two at-least-average secondary pitches, Castillo has moved from bullpen arm to potential mid-rotation starter. He should begin 2017 at Double-A Jacksonville.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017-miami-marlins-top-10-prospects/#zrc2Swvs5LWq5Dzo.99

Here's the scouting report on BP: 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_pit.php?reportid=380

https://prospect361.com/nl-team-prospects/miami-marlins/

Prospect361 has him as their #1 prospect for the Marlins 

https://prospect361.com/nl-team-prospects/Miami-Marlins/#Castillo

Highest Level: Double-A, ETA: 2017-18, Fantasy Ceiling: Top 30 SP

Luis Castillo was involved in one of the more bizarre trades in recent history.  He was traded along with Josh Naylor to the Padres for Andrew Cashner and Colin Rea.  However, when Rea blew out his elbow in his first inning with his new team, the Marlins complained and the Padres quickly returned Castillo back to the Marlins.  Later we found out why.  It appeared that the Padres had two medical books: one for them and one for consumption by other clubs.  That just isn’t permitted and ultimately, the league suspended General Manager A.J. Preller for 30 days because of the infraction.

Castillo spent most of his time in the Florida State League last season, posting an impressive 2.07 ERA in 21 starts with a 5-to-1 strikeout to walk ratio.  While the strikeout rate was just shy of eight, he only walked 18 in 117.2 innings.  The Marlins promoted him to Double-A in August and in three games, he posted a 3.86 ERA.

Scouting Report:  Castillo started his career as a reliever in the Giants organization but the Marlins moved him to the rotation in 2015 and he took off.  He has premium stuff with a fastball that can bump triple-digits and a slider with a nasty two-plane break.  He also shows a feel for a change-up.  What improved this year was his ability to throw strikes.  He repeated his mechanics much better and the results were impressive.

Assuming he stays healthy, and sometimes converted relievers don’t, he has the ceiling of a number two starter.  He should begin 2017 back in Double-A with a chance to see Triple-A, or even the majors later in the year.

Fantasy Impact: Castillo is a name that Dynasty League owners need to know.  He’s not owned in a lot of leagues, but could sneak into our Top 100 list.  There’s a lot to like including a high strikeout rate potential, a better than league-average ground-ball rate and good ratios.

Dealt to the Reds in the Dan Straily trade.. not sure how I feel about that.. The Reds have a bunch of young arms that are all close to being ready.

7 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Dealt to the Reds in the Dan Straily trade.. not sure how I feel about that.. The Reds have a bunch of young arms that are all close to being ready.

I'm not really happy about it, Marlins have a way better home park and the NL east is a better division.

Might be an omen that he works in the bullpen, too.

Just now, fawkes_mulder said:

I'm not really happy about it, Marlins have a way better home park and the NL east is a better division.

Might be an omen that he works in the bullpen, too.

Yeah I kind of have the same feelings - he could be destined to the pen... Cincinatti doesn't have the best track record of developing pitchers either (not that the Marlins do) but still.. I'm not near as excited about him as I was due to the fact there's less of a chance he sticks as a starter now.. 

Just now, JenksDodger said:

Yeah I kind of have the same feelings - he could be destined to the pen... Cincinatti doesn't have the best track record of developing pitchers either (not that the Marlins do) but still.. I'm not near as excited about him as I was due to the fact there's less of a chance he sticks as a starter now.. 

I'm bummed, but the silver lining for me is that I was actually looking for an SP/RP relief pitcher, if he actually is that. And if he starts I'll be happy too.

The move to me seemed like an attempt to shore up their historically bad relief corps, as Austin Brice and Luis Castillo, raw as they both are, present upgrades over the likes of people like Jumbo Diaz and JJ Hoover.

Not a whole lot of press for Castillo this year..

He's quietly having a really good season.. Very impressed with his control. 

Had a great game last night 7IP, 5H, 1ER, 0BB and 10K 

Season stat line 39IP, 3.00ERA, .97WHIP, .237avg against, 36K's, 5bb

He only walked 25 in 131IP last year too so he's obviously got some legit control.... that's a rarity for a guy that can throw upper 90s and touch triple digits if he wants to.. sucks he's in the Reds organization but I really like his potential.. It's refreshing to have a prospect that can actually control his pitches and still get Ks. 

Glad to see he's got a thread. His slider is apparently taking him to another level:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/reds-prospect-luis-castillo-posts-career-best-13-strikeouts/c-236249416/t-185364810

The slider hasn't been part of Luis Castillo's repertoire for long, but it's already becoming one of his most effective pitches.

The fifth-ranked Reds prospect struck out a career-high 13 while allowing two hits and a walk over eight innings in Double-A Pensacola's 5-0 win over Mississippi on Tuesday at Blue Wahoos Stadium.

Castillo (4-3), who is in his first season with the Reds organization after being acquired from the Marlins for Dan Straily in January, has a 2.68 ERA in 13 starts, yielding two runs or fewer in nine of those outings.  

"He's got a plus fastball, he's got a plus changeup," Darwin said. "And now his slider is coming each and every start. It's getting better and better.  "What I was told was [Miami] didn't think he could start over there, so he's been working on that pitch since Spring Training and he's been working really hard. He's a great kid. He respects what you try to tell him. He's out there to win and he's worked his tail off to get to where he's at."

26 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Another good outing. Went 6 1/3IP, giving up 3H, 1R, 1BB, 5Ks

Shhhhhh. Don't bump this page need this guy to keep flying under the radar.

Just a heads up, he was traded to Cinn in the Straily deal, not  a Marlin anymore.

Called up to start for the Reds! 

After the Reds designated Asher Wojciechowski for assignment Sunday, it was expected the organization would go with one of its more experienced arms at Triple-A Louisville to fill the void in the rotation, but it will instead be the 24-year-old Castillo who gets the call. While Castillo, one of the Reds' top pitching prospects, has been electric for Pensacola this season, compiling a 2.58 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and 81:13 K:BB over 80.1 innings, it may be unwise to expect quality results from him as he makes his major-league debut against one of baseball's top offenses. Even if Castillo is able to steer clear of an implosion, he may only receive one more start beyond Friday's, as Brandon Finnegan (shoulder) will make a third rehab start at Triple-A on Wednesday and could be ready to come off the 60-day disabled list by the end of June or early July.

If it wasn't for the fact that he is going up against the Nationals, I probably would have snatched him up a few minutes ago.

7 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

If it wasn't for the fact that he is going up against the Nationals, I probably would have snatched him up a few minutes ago.

If he's still available in your dynasty league you should grab him regardless. A pitching prospect like Luis Castillo doesn't come around too often. He Can pitch in the very high 90s (can hit trip digys too) and keep that velocity going into the later innings without tiring. He also possesses imo a killer changeup with a very fast developing slider and the best part is his elite command and control. On top of it, he has an effortless clean delivery that makes him a low injury risk for a power pitcher.

Yes I agree pitching against the nationals isn't the greatest welcome for a debut but it wouldn't surprise me to see Castillo shut them down for 5 innings. I think like any young pitcher making his debut, that he will have a high pitch count by the 5th and only last till then but it won't surprise me if Castillo performs admirably this start.

Edited by JakeSarna

I snatched him up in my 16 team dynasty league. 

Did he reach his innings limit? this kid is good. He was unhittable last night. I know this is something that shouldn't be said but he is very Pedro-esque. I'm new to these forums but this year luis Castillo impressed me the most with michel baez and forest Whitley right there with him.

1 hour ago, NY22mitch said:

Did he reach his innings limit? this kid is good. He was unhittable last night. I know this is something that shouldn't be said but he is very Pedro-esque. I'm new to these forums but this year luis Castillo impressed me the most with michel baez and forest Whitley right there with him.

Yes, last night was his last start of the season.