DerekQ

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

I could ask if Sanchez will do or if he does a bunch of things. Like...

Does he take androstenedione?

Will he hit a grand slam off of Noah Syndergaard and follow it up by having a bat thrown at him?

Will he have an OPS+ of 140 or more (side note: Posey's OPS+ is second to Pizzaman's at 136... crazy)?

Will he have a better WAR season than 8.7 (Steamer has him for a 3.6, which is still pretty damn good)?

But really... All that matters is if Sanchez grows a 'stache similar to Pizzaman's own glorious facial hair. 

On 12/11/2016 at 2:45 PM, DerekQ said:

Is Gary Sanchez the next coming of Mike Piazza?

Yes.

On 12/11/2016 at 4:45 PM, DerekQ said:

Is Gary Sanchez the next coming of Mike Piazza?

I certainly hope so.  

Image result for mike piazza

A man can dream, right?

Piazza was a monster (.360 40 120 at catcher?) and I realize Sanchez had a historic stretch, but I tend to be a bit of a break pumper get off my lawn party pooper, think he will be good, but not 40HR good.  28HR is my call, which is still fantastic at C these days.  

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

hell i'd take 20 homers and a decent average from him.  everything else would be gravy

He already gave us 20 home runs and a way more than decent average last season in 200 ABs.  He will give us much more than that this season.

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

40 homers is not out of the question in yankee stadium

Depends on how often you think he'll DH. If he were a full time DH I'd agree, if he were a full time catcher I'd disagree, so where he lands in the PT split I think will drive this by quite a bit.

I'm pretty conservative in general, but without doing a deep dive and just looking at the basic peripheries and considering basic talent and regression, I have him at over 30 HRs right now and a BA that's at .270 or north. That may be too high, but it's hard to keep out of your mind what he did.

Realistically with a full season of production I'm going out on a limb and saying 30 HR's and batting .290 with somewhere around 100 RBI's.    Yes, from a catcher.

5 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Realistically with a full season of production I'm going out on a limb and saying 30 HR's and batting .290 with somewhere around 100 RBI's.    Yes, from a catcher.

What's the GP and PA projection for that? 

52 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

His number of plate appearances will probably come down to whether the Yankees land Encarnacion or Joe Shom as their DH.

A few analysts have been speculating on it but I do believe they love Greg Bird.

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He already gave us 20 home runs and a way more than decent average last season in 200 ABs.  He will give us much more than that this season.

ehhhhhhhhhhh im tempering expectations

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Prorating Brett Lawrie's numbers from his initial callup never really worked out during his first full season . 

For what it's worth, I took the average HR/FB for each category of flyball (pull+hard, pull+medium, oppo+hard, etc) and multiplied them by how many of each type Sanchez hit to get "Expected HR". There's probably a more scientific and Statcast-y way to do this, but let's roll with it.

Sanchez had 12.7 xHR by this method, so he got pretty lucky. We already knew that though (he wasn't going to sustain a 40% HR/FB), so what this data really does is support the notion that he has prodigious power potential. This method gives him a 25.4 xHR/FB. Only three qualified hitters (Ryan Braun, Khris Davis and Nelson Cruz) had a higher HR/FB on the season

18 hours ago, taobball said:

A few analysts have been speculating on it but I do believe they love Greg Bird.

Sorry, I don't understand.  Greg Bird is their starting 1B this season.  What does he have to do with who they get for DH?

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sorry, I don't understand.  Greg Bird is their starting 1B this season.  What does he have to do with who they get for DH?

For some reason I had him slated at DH in my mind. But Holliday is slotted there now correct?

13 hours ago, taobball said:

For some reason I had him slated at DH in my mind. But Holliday is slotted there now correct?

And I honestly forgot about Holliday.  Well I guess Sanchez will get some DH appearances when Holliday goes into injury mode at least.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:01 AM, taobball said:

read a bunch of yanks blogs.  think carp will dh some and play 1b some. sancehz will dh vs lefties a lot with carp at first base

edit: and ya what bigbat said. sanchez will prob dh a ton when carp gets injured

also, no way yanks sign EE or anyone of that caliber 

Edited by jfazz23