DerekQ

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

3 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Any updates on the severity/timetable?

Nothing yet.  I read where the team is going to do more tests when they return to NY, so probably won't know more until then.  Girardi did say they were going to be cautious with his recovery since the injury was to his throwing arm.  Sanchez himself said the pain was similar to that of a hamstring pull.

4 hours ago, Evincar said:

Schwarber got hurt because he collided with his own player while playing in LF. Sanchez got hurt by swinging a bat. Neither injury was conducive to playing Catcher. This isnt Devin Mesoraco here.

My Rostered Catchers:

2014 - Mesoraco...he dominated 

2015 - Mesoraco (hurt), Schwarber

2016 - Schwarber (hurt- 4ABs), Mesoraco (hurt), Sanchez

2017 - Sanchez, Contreras

Cool Story, but just putting this out there as a warning to my boy Wilson Contreras

5 minutes ago, Spina said:

My Rostered Catchers:

2014 - Mesoraco...he dominated 

2015 - Mesoraco (hurt), Schwarber

2016 - Schwarber (hurt- 4ABs), Mesoraco (hurt), Sanchez

2017 - Sanchez, Contreras

Cool Story, but just putting this out there as a warning to my boy Wilson Contreras

Yeah, but that'll be for 2018 so we're ok for this year!  :)

Everything I've read seems to indicate if it's a partially torn bicep it's likely 3-6 weeks... if fully torn more like 3-6 months. Should have a better idea by Monday. 

5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Nailed it

"Right bicep strain"

Sometimes being a physical therapist comes in handy playing fantasy sports.

The 2 main factors in determining his timetable will be the severity of the injury and the location of the injury. If the injury occurred at the distal tendon (the one near the elbow) he is likely looking at a lengthy DL period. If 50 percent of the tendon or less was torn, treatment is generally rest and rehab. Because the tendon is so important it would likely be a multiple month DL stay in this scenario. If 50 percent or more of the tendon was torn, treatment would be surgery and he would likely be done for the year. 

The much more favorable scenario would be if the strain occurred in the muscle belly itself. The timetable would be something in the lines of 4-6 weeks (plus or minus a week or two depending on the severity). When I saw the injury happen my initial concern was that he injured the tendon since he grabs at that area. I'm sure he's getting an MRI tomorrow or Monday and we'll find out soon. As an owner of him in 3 of 6 leagues I'll be hoping it's a minor strain of the muscle belly. 

30 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

so is yahoo! going to put him on the d/l or what?

i hate yahoo! so much sometimes.

I don't think he's been officially placed on the DL yet by the team, just saw reports that he was going to be.  This is more on NYY then and not Yahoo.

The rotoworld blurb says that the yankees placed him on the DL but after looking at their souce for the blurb, its just stated that hes headed to the DL.

still hate yahoo! sometimes though.

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

still hate yahoo! sometimes though.

Now THAT I can agree with you on! haha

Not on the DL yet on ESPN either.  I have a 10 am waiver deadline, whats the hold up. 

18 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Not on the DL yet on ESPN either.  I have a 10 am waiver deadline, whats the hold up. 

The team needs to put him on the DL.  Rotoworld blurbs aren't the determining factor.  This is:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/#month=4&year=2017&team_id=147

And it looks like they just made the move.

FWIW,  he said he feels much better today on Twitter. Probably doesn't mean much, but hopefully indicates its a tear of a lesser severity. 

Edited by absknicks

The first time I've ever drafted a catcher within the first 15 rounds...I've learned my lesson. 

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

The first time I've ever drafted a catcher within the first 15 rounds...I've learned my lesson. 

Dude. It's been one week. There are no lessons to learn here.

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

no you have not

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

And if Kershaw blew out his elbow in his first start, I guess you wouldn't draft a SP anymore in the first 15 rounds?  Position has nothing to do with injuries and draft position, only talent...nothing wrong with taking one of the best 2 or 3 catchers that early.  That injury could have happened to anyone.

6 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

...nothing wrong with taking one of the best 2 or 3 catchers that early.  That injury could have happened to anyone.

I don't know, man.  For a position that yields ~80-85% of the PA a full-time starter in any other position does, the added production better be really significant for it to be worth the investment.  I was optomistic about Sanchez too, but not enough to chance it on a 6th/7th round pick.  

6 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

Position has nothing to do with injuries

Not true at all. Catchers get injured more than anyone else. Granted, THIS injury had nothing to do with position

On 4/8/2017 at 6:08 PM, MJDrocks said:

Doesn't change the fact that a highly invested player is going to be riding the pine for who knows how long. Wishing I would've played it safe with a guy that had more of a track record of consistent MLB AB's.

Ah, I see.  You mean a vet like Adrian Beltre (DL) or Jason Kipnis (DL) or David Price, right?

9 hours ago, Rainyy said:

Huh?  Doesn't sound like you learned anything.  Would you not take a 3B or 2B or SP within the 15th round because of the guys mentioned above.  Man I wish US schools would make Logic 101 a mandatory requirement then maybe we wouldn't get posts like the above ones.  ("A player I took at 'X' position within the 15th round got injured therefore I should never ever take a player at 'X 'position in the 15th round ever again").

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Doesn't sound like you learned anything.  Would you not take a 3B or 2B or SP within the 15th round because of the guys mentioned above.  Man I wish US schools would make Logic 101 a mandatory requirement then maybe we wouldn't get posts like the above ones.  ("A player I took at 'X' position within the 15th round got injured therefore I should never ever take a player at 'X 'position in the 15th round ever again").

It's a little excessive going after my real world intelligence. 

The reasoning you cite is fallacious, but it is not reasoning I have endorsed. 

I made a joke. You might not think that joke is funny and you might not have even believed I was making an attempt at humor, but that is the case. In hindsight, I didn't appreciate how touchy people might be after losing a stud to injury. My bad. 

Anyway, I just think it is somewhat funny that this is the first time I invested in a catcher and so far am getting burned, albeit because of a fluke. I know I am not alone in how I draft catchers; for a lot of fantasy owners, Gary Sanchez is the first big time investment they have made in the position for a good 5+ years. I am making light of that and the unluckiness of the situation. 

Of course no reasonable person believes the injury to Sanchez is an indictment of the entire position as a whole. That is the fallacy of composition. But what does surprise me is that people are so cynical of their fellow man and so eager to confront that they won't even feign to give me the benefit of the doubt.

That's hardly surprising coming from a poster with a demonstrably poor grasp of the English language and a tendency to misread, but I would urge you once again to avoid escalating things in this manner. Thanks. 

Edited by Rainyy