DerekQ

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

Not true at all. Catchers get injured more than anyone else. Granted, THIS injury had nothing to do with position

Would have thought the pitching position has more with more severity also. Just on pure number of pitchers over the numbers playing any other position. 

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Would have thought the pitching position has more with more severity also. Just on pure number of pitchers over the numbers playing any other position. 

I think it's probably relative to the number of players, right? 30 "Every day" catchers vs 5 starting pitchers per team, another what? 4 BP arms?, 30 teams.

3 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I think it's probably relative to the number of players, right? 30 "Every day" catchers vs 5 starting pitchers per team, another what? 4 BP arms?, 30 teams.

Isn't that what number of pitchers over any other playing any other position would mean? But thanks for clarifying for those who might not understand.

But then by your post only "everyday" catchers count so backup catchers aren't included and only 1 SP should count (the other 4 don't play that day) or RP who don't pitch that day wouldn't either

This is encouraging, but hopefully MRI turns up nothing more serious than initially reported..

DbKayhhm_bigger.jpgBryan HochVerified account @BryanHoch
 Follow
Gary Sanchez will see the Yankees' doctor today, expected to get an MRI. He says he can raise his right arm again, so that's something.
Edited by Yceman1234

3 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

This is encouraging, but hopefully MRI turns up nothing more serious than initially reported..

DbKayhhm_bigger.jpgBryan HochVerified account @BryanHoch
 Follow
Gary Sanchez will see the Yankees' doctor today, expected to get an MRI. He says he can raise his right arm again, so that's something.

If it's just a strain, that's great news and we can expect him back in around 2-3 weeks. 

6 hours ago, Low and Away said:

You're probably right, I was only considering position players. Should've made that clear.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Isn't that what number of pitchers over any other playing any other position would mean? But thanks for clarifying for those who might not understand.

But then by your post only "everyday" catchers count so backup catchers aren't included and only 1 SP should count (the other 4 don't play that day) or RP who don't pitch that day wouldn't either

Yeah that's why I was saying like just 30 catchers. It's a tough concept to say one position is more injury prone than others. I'm of the opinion that it goes pitchers, catchers, outfielders. 

I was thinking along those lines as it seems pitchers, even with more of them, just plain have a higher percentage getting injured. Sanchez's injury doesn't seem to be related to him being a catcher either.

But if he is out 2-3 weeks have a couple of teams that hurts potentially

Oh well. I guess I'm not going to get enough info this morning to know whether I need to drop this dude before 1 PM first pitch.

25 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Oh well. I guess I'm not going to get enough info this morning to know whether I need to drop this dude before 1 PM first pitch.

Drop? In 8 team, 1 catcher leagues (let alone other formats), no one should be contemplating dropping him.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

MRI results still forthcoming later today but the comments from Girardi and Sanchez himself seem pretty positive.  Hopefully, this turns out to be just a minimum DL stay...

"I can raise my arm and move it around," Sanchez said through an interpreter. "It's definitely more flexible now. As you know, I'm on the DL so I've got to wait the 10 days. I've got to take it easy with the days and see how it goes."

"It kind of scared me when he held his arm," Girardi said. "They asked him to raise it and try to make a muscle, and he couldn't do it. And then [Sunday] when he was able to raise his arm and do that, that made me more optimistic. I'm looking forward to Dr. Ahmad's diagnosis and what they think the time frame is."

"What injury?" - Mets Medical Staff

Seriously, though, this was probably the best case scenario.

Girardi also clarified saying they expect Sanchez back in the big leagues in 4 weeks, not simply restarting baseball activities then. 

Edited by absknicks

4 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

This is a dude you likely drafted before the tenth round.  Probably the seventh or eighth.  A guy that's top two or three at his position.  Unless it came out he was definitely out for the season, you don't drop.  

Rehab assignment starts Tuesday. Probably can expect him back by next weekend. 

From a few random blurbs he might be starting a rehab assignment this week and if all goes well be up for next weekend. 

36 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

From a few random blurbs he might be starting a rehab assignment this week and if all goes well be up for next weekend. 

The Yankee broadcast said last week Gary would be going on a rehab assignment this week and be up this weekend, I am confused..

2 minutes ago, chud12 said:

The Yankee broadcast said last week Gary would be going on a rehab assignment this week and be up this weekend, I am confused..

That's correct He's on assignment starting tonight.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/29/gary-sanchez-takes-last-test-before-rehab-assignment-begins/

Sorry my whole life I have always referred to the next weekend as the one coming ip and most refer to it as this weekend. The rehab starts tonight and hopefully it all goes well.

Sorry about the confusion