DerekQ

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

6 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Doesn't change the fact that a highly invested player is going to be riding the pine for who knows how long. Wishing I would've played it safe with a guy that had more of a track record of consistent MLB AB's.

Ichiro probably still available in your league. 

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Ichiro probably still available in your league. 

Hi (waving) - I'm available!

bartolo6.jpg

Edited by IlliniGuy76

20 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Last it year it was Schwarber, this year its Sanchez. We cant have good catchers apparently.

11 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Yes, since this injury was totally predictable. :rolleyes:

You guys new to baseball??  Catchers get hurt far more often than any other position player.  This is why drafting a top catcher, no matter how good, is just not a good idea.  Waaaaaaay too much risk involved.  Not to mention that every single season a JT Realmuto shows up and brings top 5 C value after going undrafted.

Just now, CAT said:

You guys new to baseball??  Catchers get hurt far more often than any other position player.  This is why drafting a top catcher, no matter how good, is just not a good idea.  Waaaaaaay too much risk involved.  Not to mention that every single season a JT Realmuto shows up and brings top 5 C value after going undrafted.

And this has absolutely zilch to do with someone swinging a bat away from the batter's box and hurting his biceps.

4 minutes ago, CAT said:

Not to mention that every single season a JT Realmuto shows up and brings top 5 C value after going undrafted.

EDIT: Misread your comment.  But I will say JT Realmuto was drafted last year. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 minute ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

And this has absolutely zilch to do with someone swinging a bat away from the batter's box and hurting his biceps.

He's still a catcher and the added risk still applies.  ANY batter can get hurt swinging a bat.  All of them have that baseline.  Catchers due to the wear and tear of the position, just get hurt more often.  FACT.  

Just now, CAT said:

He's still a catcher and the added risk still applies.  ANY batter can get hurt swinging a bat.  All of them have that baseline.  Catchers due to the wear and tear of the position, just get hurt more often.  FACT.  

And this still has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he stepped outside the batter's box, took a swing, and hurt his biceps.

4 minutes ago, CAT said:

Took me about a decade to figure this out.

Alas the sweet songs of the "position scarity" sirens always sucked me in.

I think it would be prudent to start making backup plans, if you haven't already (or don't have a backup catcher on the roster, like me).  You aren't going to find any gems out there, but guys like Soto and Castro are off to nice starts.  Could be nice short-term fill-ins in deeper leagues.

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Alternative Fact: JT Realmuto was drafted this year and last in almost every league and has been a top 5 catcher just one time. 

I didn't say anything about him being drafted this year, but thanks for filling that in for us.  There were many leagues in which he was undrafted last year.  Even in the ones he was....I think you get the point.

Or do you??  I mean, you DO have a wrestler on your avatar.

Just now, CAT said:

Or do you??  I mean, you DO have a wrestler on your avatar.

Alternative Fact: My avatar is of a former UFC Heavyweight Champion

Also, I misread your initial comment. Either way Realmuto was definitely drafted in all but 1 catcher 10 team leagues last year, maybe a couple 12. But he hardly came out of nowhere. 

5 minutes ago, CAT said:

Schwarber got hurt because he collided with his own player while playing in LF. Sanchez got hurt by swinging a bat. Neither injury was conducive to playing Catcher. This isnt Devin Mesoraco here.

And finding guys like last season's Wilson Ramos isnt easy either.

2 minutes ago, HalfManHalfAmazing said:

any chance sanchez will return this year?

If it truly turns out to be just a biceps strain, you're probably looking at days to weeks. Obviously, something more serious could cost him months or even the season. Probably to early to tell, other than what early reports have said. Wait and see mode for now, and make sure you have a backup catcher rostered.

46 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

I think it would be prudent to start making backup plans, if you haven't already (or don't have a backup catcher on the roster, like me).  You aren't going to find any gems out there, but guys like Soto and Castro are off to nice starts.  Could be nice short-term fill-ins in deeper leagues.

I like the James McCann route someone mentioned.....

51 minutes ago, CAT said:

You have stats to back this up?  Because I really don't believe you unless you do.

And just who do you think went undrafted and will bring top 5 catcher value this year?  They have to be better than anyone other than four of Lucroy, Posey, Realmuto, Schwarber and Contreras remember. Wilson Ramos doesn't count because he is already drafted in almost all leagues and all of mine for sure.

The Yankees have already placed Gary on the 10 day DL... :(

Short term going to try Norris. Sanchez out for longer then 15 days may need a plan B. Norris really doesn't do much (and no great reason to think he will) maybe will need another plan. But most FA if you are under 12 teams there should be a couple of choices any way.

I knew catching was very shallow this year, but was floored when I went to my wavier wire for a fill in and saw the absolute garbage that was left (12 team 1 catcher league).  I've had to play catcher roulette before, but geez the back end of catchers are even uglier then I realized this year. 

1 minute ago, Captain Yesterday said:

I knew catching was very shallow this year, but was floored when I went to my wavier wire for a fill in and saw the absolute garbage that was left (12 team 1 catcher league).  I've had to play catcher roulette before, but geez the back end of catchers are even uglier then I realized this year. 

Try finding something in a 15 teamer starting 2 catchers ... it's FUGLY!

40 minutes ago, chud12 said:

The Yankees have already placed Gary on the 10 day DL... :(

Have they officially yet?  Because the below seems to say they haven't as yet.  And he isn't on the DL on Yahoo yet and your post was 41 minutes ago as I type this.

Gary Sanchez will be placed on the 10-day disabled list with a right biceps strain.

Sanchez suffered the injury during the fifth inning of Saturday's loss to the Orioles. Triple-A catcher Kyle Higashioka is already en route to Baltimore and should join the team in time for Sunday's series finale. Austin Romine figures to see most of the catching work in Sanchez's absence. As of now, there's no timetable for his return

50 minutes ago, Captain Yesterday said:

I would just avoid them altogether. That's what I plan on doing. There are only so many adequate catchers in any given year.