JenksDodger

2017 "Sleeper" Prospects

Hey guys - I thought the 2016 version of this thread was extremely helpful.. I was able to snag a few guys in my leagues that I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for some of you.. I've started compiling a list of players that could be sleepers this year.. Keep in mind I have a large league (800 prospects owned) so some of these guys are deeeep sleepers. 

Here's some to get us started.. There's a few that I snagged from last years list that are on here. 

OF Jaycub Brugman OAK

OF Cody Thomas LAD

SP Resly Lineras TOR

SP Gilmael Troya NYY

C Victor Caratini CHC

OF Sandro Fabian SFG

RP Jared Miller ARI- this guy dominated the AFL, if you're looking for a RP with upside he is it. 

OF Khalil Lee KC 

3B Bobby Dalbec BOS

SS Diego Castillo NYY

3B Lucas Erceg MIL

SP Justin Haley MIN - Rule 5 pick

SP Vicente Campos LAA - may have a chance to start in LA sometime this year?

C Meibrys Viloria KC 

3B Drew Ward WAS

1B Peter Alonso NYM

OF Jaylin Davis MIN

OF Juan Ramirez DET

OF Oscar Gonzalez CLE

SP Gage Hinsz PIT

OF James Nelson SFG

Edited by JenksDodger

I'll second drew ward, nice offensive profile, blocked by Rendon though obviously.

Yu-Cheng Chang for Indians is interesting cause he can provide across the board value.

on mobile so just off the top of my head, I'll post more later.

great thread 

Let's contribute to this:

Nome Cognome Pos Team Segnalazione Note Lvl Value
Sixto Sanchez SP PHI MILB Forum   R 1
Isaac Paredes SS CHC MILB Forum   A 2
Jose Albertos SP CHC MILB Forum Special! R 2
Alejandro Chacin RP CIN Scoutingbook   AA 2
Trevor Clifton SP CHC MILB Forum Troppe BB A+ 2
Allen Cordoba SS STL Sickels SL No HR Power R 2
Domingo German SP NYY Taglio TJ   A+ 2
Dawel Lugo SS ARI Sickels   AA 2
Phil Maton RP SD Sickels SL   AAA 2
Daniel Missaki SP MIL Taglio TJ     2
Josh Ockimey 1B BOS Taglio   A 2
Roniel Raudes SP BOS BleacherR   A 2
Ian Rice C CHC Taglio   A+ 2
Patrick Weigel SP ATL MILB Forum   AA 2
Pedro Avila SP WAS Taglio   A 3
Luis Castillo SP MIA MILB Forum   AA 3
JT Chargois RP MIN Future Game   MLB 3
Mauricio Dubon SS BOS BleacherR   AA 3
Yeudy Garcia SP PIT Sickels SL   A+ 3
Dinelson Lamet SP SD Sickels SL   AAA 3
Wade Lamonte OF MIN MILB Forum   A+ 3
Jordan Patterson OF COL Taglio     3
Sal Romano CIN SP MILB Forum   AA 3
Leody Taveras OF TEX MILB Forum   A- 3
Lewis Thorpe SP MIN Taglio TJ     3
Chase Vallot C KC Imaginary Brick Troppi K A 3
Chesny Young 2B CHC MILB Forum   AA 3

This a list regarding FA in my dynasty. Sorry it's in italian but I think it's pretty clear anyway.

3 hours ago, Italian_guy said:

Juan Soto also is a big name to watch, unfortunately not FA in my league.

x2 I think word is starting to get out too... #3 on BA's Nationals top 10.. 

Jose Albertos on your list above is a great one as well.. totally forgot about that one. 

Edited by JenksDodger

6 hours ago, Italian_guy said:

Juan Soto also is a big name to watch, unfortunately not FA in my league.

x3 Big fan of him! What he did as a 17 year old was special, posting a 184 wRC+ with a 7.7 BB% and a 13.7 K%. He even got a taste of Low A ball as a 17 year old and posted terrific numbers! Dude looks like a HITTER!

Other names I'd like to mention include:
Wladimir Galindo CHC
Dylan Davis SF
Paul DeJong STL
Yu-Cheng Chang CLE
Jacob Faria TB
Cody Ponce MIL
Sandy Alcantara STL
Chris Paddack MIA
Brayan Hernandez SEA
Tyler Viza PHI
Ronald Acuna ATL (Like Soto, his name is out there)
Jake Junis KC
Phillip Ervin CIN

Acuna was out at the beginning of last year.

Chris Paddack is out with TJ.

Alcantara, Ervin and Faria are established. 

Thank you for the other names.

3 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

x2 I think word is starting to get out too... #3 on BA's Nationals top 10.. 

Jose Albertos on your list above is a great one as well.. totally forgot about that one. 

I actually preferred to pick up Ramon Laureano last year and have him still hidden. Hopefully it will work.

There's quite a few guys on that 2016 list that underperformed, got hurt, etc. that still has a load of potential who should be kept an eye on.  

Estevan Florial

Wilkerman Garcia

Oscar De La Cruz

There's a bunch more.  Remember how bad Rosario looked before he finally broke out.  If Michael Gettys takes another step forward, we may see him shoot up the prospect rankings too.

36 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

I actually preferred to pick up Ramon Laureano last year and have him still hidden. Hopefully it will work.

Another Astros prospect to keep an eye on is Jason Martin. He had a 23 HR/20SB season in high A in 110 games.

3 hours ago, Italian_guy said:

Acuna was out at the beginning of last year.

Chris Paddack is out with TJ.

Alcantara, Ervin and Faria are established. 

Thank you for the other names.

Paddack was also traded to San Diego - fwiw

A few tid bits on Jose Albertos - 

MLB.com

More advanced than the typical teenaged pitcher, Albertos has good command of his pitches and can add and subtract from them. He's years away from Wrigley Field at this point, but he has the upside of a frontline starter if he can stay healthy.

Prospect361

The Cubs have been mining Mexico for players over the past couple of years and one of their prize signings in 2015 was Jose Albertos.  The 6-foot-1 right-hander only had one start last season but after striking out seven across 4.1 innings and hitting the upper 90’s, the Cubs believe they have something special.  He only turns 18 in November, so they will likely take it easy with Albertos but his combination of stuff and feel for pitching might dictate otherwise.

John Sickles 

12) Jose Albertos, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Age 18, signed out of Mexico in 2015; threw four innings in rookie ball without giving up a run while fanning seven, but was sidelined quickly with arm soreness; can hit 96-97 MPH and already has an above-average breaking ball and change-up; difficult to rank due to young age, injury concern, and lack of data but his ceiling is very high. Could move very rapidly if healthy. ETA: 2021.

Razzball

Jose Albertos, RHP | Age: 18 | ETA: 2020 | 2016 Level: Rk

Small righty with stuff alert! Am I the only person who’s ears just perked up? Yes I have a weird small righty fetish. At 18 he’s just a baby, but shows advanced command and control for a player his age. His stuff is frontline starter-esque, mixing a mid-90’s fastball with a plus change, and an average slider. He’s still years away, but flashes high end potential. Worth stashing in deeper dynasty formats where you can let specs marinate in your minors.

All prospects owned in my league if anyone wants to peak.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14WvdSaZHPTRAbZwcptSMtV-LmZjDdUPbad7u9OqUB6I/edit#gid=650188109

From my squad, I have a few sleepers amongst the known quantities.

Dinelson Lamet

Trevor Clifton

Fernando Romero

Jorge Lopez

Austin Riley

Jacoby Jones

Touki Toussaint

Randy Arozarena

Alex Meyer

Alex Kirilloff

Luis Castillo

Michael Gettys

Pedro Avila

Corey Ray

Garrett Whitley

Jorge Lopez is POST HYPE. He was a consensus t75 guy entering 2016, took a major step back. I did digging on the guy, his son had some medical emergency around the same time. Don't know if the two are related or not.

However, he's been doing really well in the Puerto Rican winter league. I think he may bounce back.

Player  W  L  ERA  G  GS  CG  SHO  SV  IP  H  R  ER  HR  HB  BB  SO  WHIP  HLD  GF 

Jorge Lopez 1 1 1.05 6 6 0 0 0 25.2 9 3 3 0 0 8 23 0.66 0 0
Edited by fawkes_mulder

Can't edit. Disregard the stuff about his son, that's from 2014. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/11284675/prospect-jorge-lopez-milwaukee-brewers-worries-seriously-ill-son

He just flat sucked in 2016, and I don't know why. It happens. Still like him as a flyer.

33 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

@fawkes_mulder you drafted already 2016 squad I'm seeing. 

Yeah, we do a draft in June reserved to college/high school/draft eligible players. I didn't draft Ray actually, I traded Matt Kemp for him because the OBP drain was killing me. Alex Kirilloff somehow went undrafted and was a prospect pick up for me. Love his potential maybe even more than Ray.

Any foreign player or non college/high school player is a free agent in our league, if unowned, and can be picked up at any time.

I LOVE that we have prospect free agents. It promotes keeping up to date with prospects, as it is first come, first serve. Keeping an ear to the ground got me Blake Snell last year as he started tearing it up, AJ Reed (same thing, flipped for profit), and Eloy Jimenez this past year, amongst countless others.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

Domingo Leyba

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa736654&position=2B/SS

High BB%, low k%, 2b/ss availability in Arizona post-Segura...I like him as a guy to watch with possible opportunity in 2017 or 2018. Scouting the stat line a bit here cause he really hasn't gotten much love from the scouts.

Lots of excellent names thrown around. As a Cub fan I'm surprised how many of you were already in on Jose Albertos and Isaac parades, well done.I expect them both to finish 2017 well within the Cubs top 10 prospects. With that said, here's some names that I really like to gain a lot of notoriety and value in 2017

Sixto Sanchez SP(PHI)

Meibrys Viloria C(KC)

Alec Hansen SP(CHW)

Brian Mundell 1B(COL)

Alex Speas SP(TEX)

Luis Urias 2B(SD) Though I suspect he's well inside the top 100 come 2017 releases

Cody Thomas OF(LAD)

Grayson Long SP(LAA)

Domingo Leyba SS(ARI)

Austin Hays OF(BAL)

Luiz Gohara SP(SEA)

Juan Soto OF(WAS)

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Lots of excellent names thrown around. As a Cub fan I'm surprised how many of you were already in on Jose Albertos and Isaac parades, well done.I expect them both to finish 2017 well within the Cubs top 10 prospects. With that said, here's some names that I really like to gain a lot of notoriety and value in 2017

Sixto Sanchez SP(PHI)

Meibrys Viloria C(KC)

Alec Hansen SP(CHW)

Brian Mundell 1B(COL)

Alex Speas SP(TEX)

Luis Urias 2B(SD) Though I suspect he's well inside the top 100 come 2017 releases

Cody Thomas OF(LAD)

Grayson Long SP(LAA)

Domingo Leyba SS(ARI)

Austin Hays OF(BAL)

Luiz Gohara SP(SEA)

Juan Soto OF(WAS)

Cody Thomas is extremely interesting... Has never been solely focused on baseball until last year (was always invested in football, back up QB at OU).. so really spent half his time playing footbal.. He obviously has some great power potential.. Struck out a bunch, but I expect that to improve the more he gets PA's

Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet.. Josh VanMeter, 3B SDP.. Was just recently traded to the Padres.. Listened to the SDP podcast on 20-80 baseball and he drew comparisons to Chase Headley (defensively).. Put a 50-55 OFP grade on him.. Said he could be the starting 3B in San Diego soon.. Sounds like his defense is going to get him there if the bat develops just a little bit.. Hit 14HR in 2016 between A+ (12 in CAL league) and (2 in TEX league).. looks to have a really solid plate approach.. 16% K Rate at A+ and 15.8% at AA with a 55/82 BB/K ratio for the year.. Most likely he won't be a star, but a very valuable player for deeper leagues. 

Edited by JenksDodger

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:49 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Yeah, we do a draft in June reserved to college/high school/draft eligible players. I didn't draft Ray actually, I traded Matt Kemp for him because the OBP drain was killing me. Alex Kirilloff somehow went undrafted and was a prospect pick up for me. Love his potential maybe even more than Ray.

Any foreign player or non college/high school player is a free agent in our league, if unowned, and can be picked up at any time.

I LOVE that we have prospect free agents. It promotes keeping up to date with prospects, as it is first come, first serve. Keeping an ear to the ground got me Blake Snell last year as he started tearing it up, AJ Reed (same thing, flipped for profit), and Eloy Jimenez this past year, amongst countless others.

If anyone has a resent completed prospect draft, I'd love to see it. (1st year players from the 2016 draft, and international players)

Edited by Topgun

11 minutes ago, Topgun said:

If anyone has a resent completed prospect draft, I'd love to see it. (1st year players from the 2016 draft, and international players)

Me too. Or DEEP rankings for them.

I found these draft results on the web, but they don't include international players (120 players drafted though):

https://utrprospects.wordpress.com/2016/11/24/2016-dynasty-draft/