2ndCitySox

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

3 hours ago, itaos said:

"Dahl received an MRI bone scan for the injured rib on his right side, a stressed bone that took him out of spring training in early March. The test “went very well,” according to a source, and Dahl will begin hitting soon, likely this weekend at extended spring training."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/21/rockies-revving-ian-desmond-david-dahl/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports+(Denver+Post%3A+Sports)

the test "went very well" according to a source... now does that mean the actual results of the test were actually good, or just that, like, they managed to run him through the machine without crushing him

Damage might already be done.

I think he was depending on a nice Spring to solidify his position in the lineup. Got injured, and guys like Reynolds and Parra have stepped up instead. Now Desmond's coming back.. Not seeing him break 400 AB's this year. 

18 minutes ago, Spurgeon said:

Damage might already be done.

I think he was depending on a nice Spring to solidify his position in the lineup. Got injured, and guys like Reynolds and Parra have stepped up instead. Now Desmond's coming back.. Not seeing him break 400 AB's this year. 

Heck no. Why not develop young talent when you can as an organization. Parra and Reynolds going to ride the pine with Desmond at 1B and Dahl in the OF. 

I ain't worried. 

Just now, canaan_ko said:

Heck no. Why not develop young talent when you can as an organization. Parra and Reynolds going to ride the pine with Desmond at 1B and Dahl in the OF. 

I ain't worried. 

Rockies already said Desmond may see at bats in OF upon activation.  Rockies are 13-6 off to best start in years.  If they keep winning and Reynolds and Parra are producing Dahl won't be rushed back/likely will spend some time in AAA waiting for an injury.

1 minute ago, canaan_ko said:

I ain't worried. 

parra's fallen off the past couple weeks after a good start, i wouldn't worry about him. there is talk about playing desmond in the OF to keep reynolds in the lineup, that's true. but i think once dahl is ready he'll get in there most of the time, one way or another. it's not like he's even some hobby horse of us fantasy dorks, he's one of the org's top prospects and he already hit in the majors. they're not going to jerk him around too much just because he was hurt for a few weeks

Just now, radioflyer9 said:

Dahl will play almost everyday when he is healthy! Kid is a stud and there's no reason not to play your best players 

Everyone nearly is a best player when hitting half your games at Coors.  Hence Parra and Reynolds production thus far.  I don't think this situation is that cut and dry.

1 minute ago, radioflyer9 said:

Dahl will play almost everyday when he is healthy! Kid is a stud and there's no reason not to play your best players 

Hummm, I think Dahl will sit against LHP as the Rockies will play Reynolds at 1B and Desmond in the OF.

Maybe not but that's what I "think" will happen.

13 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Hummm, I think Dahl will sit against LHP as the Rockies will play Reynolds at 1B and Desmond in the OF.

Maybe not but that's what I "think" will happen.

see, this i can imagine. it's hard for me to see them sticking him in AAA though like some people are saying

4 minutes ago, wily mo said:

see, this i can imagine. it's hard for me to see them sticking him in AAA though like some people are saying

agreed.  they have the luxury of slow playing his return, but once he's ready it doesn't make any sense to mess around with his development.  Reynolds and Parra aren't exactly franchise pillars.  

All of you are forgetting a big-time rule in MLB.

Managers are prone to do anything, no matter how stupid it appears to everyone else.

1 hour ago, Chuckles said:

Managers are prone to do anything, no matter how stupid it appears to everyone else.

Would it be so stupid to keep playing veterans who are part of your best start in a decade + and both hitting .300+.  I mean logically Dahl doesn't have a single thing left to prove in AAA.  Unfortunately though if you expose someone to regular at bats in Coors they can ultimately hit you out of a job.  I don't as a Dahl owner think it's a 100% given he's slotted right back into full time at bats when he's 100% healthy.

Edited by Cmilne23

2 hours ago, wily mo said:

Own Dahl and Reynolds so hope I'm seeing all angles.

Also, the service time issue at play. Per Cotts, I see Dahl has 70 days accrued. They could stash him in AAA for 2 months if they don't need him. Would give them an extra year of control.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/colorado-rockies/

Edited by Light Tower Power

5 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Would it be so stupid to keep playing veterans who are part of your best start in a decade + and both hitting .300+.  I mean logically Dahl doesn't have a single thing left to prove in AAA.  Unfortunately though if you expose someone to regular at bats in Coors they can ultimately hit you out of a job.  I don't as a Dahl owner think it's a 100% given he's slotted right back into full time at bats when he's 100% healthy.

This is a very rational take on the situation. I'm hoping he plays maybe 3-4 days a week initially, and that could be high depending on how the rest of the lineup is hitting. I think with the injury he might have to wait his turn, especially since they're winning and a player they're actually paying in Parra is producing so far.

8 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Another truth: MLB players are soft and find myriad ways to get injured.

Dahl will have his opportunities.

If people believe Parra and Reynolds are now full time starters based on a few weeks good play after years of sucking, I guess it also means Carlos Gonzalez and Trevor Story will now be benched indefinitely. After all, Desmond can play SS.

All too often, a few weeks good play in Colorado turns into that outlier year of good play for a player. Color me nervous as a Dahl owner. Anything short of full time play makes him not worth this current roster spot jam. My DL is already occupied. If they send him to AAA, great. I can slot him into my ML. But if I'm waiting all this time for part-time play it will not be worth it.

Anyone hear any new news concerning Dahl? This article is pretty encouraging...

https://roxpile.com/2017/04/26/colorado-rockies-injury-news-david-dahl-closer-to-taking-batting-practice/

....“I’m going with what the trainers are saying. I’m relying on them,” Dahl said. “Just being smart (with the injury). Hopefully I’m playing games, whether it’s extended or a rehab assignment, like a week, maybe less, somewhere around there.”

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

39 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Black was apparently on the radio yesterday and said Desmond will play the outfield.   Sooooo....

*Angrily shakes fist at Parra and Reynolds*

Dahl is going to come back when he's 100% - that's pretty much the extent of Reynolds/Parra's early success impacts.

Wishful thinking translation: We're going to wait until he's absolutely 100% because we're getting production.

Gerardo Parra is absolute trash

Not good news that he's still "a ways away" Was hoping he'd be back next week-ish :/