Rotoworld.com Forums

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

22 minutes ago, b0nfire said:

Gerardo Parra is absolute trash

Not good news that he's still "a ways away" Was hoping he'd be back next week-ish :/

Same, somebody dropped him and I plucked him off waivers a few weeks ago, hoping he would be back early May. Now it sounds like late May sounds likely.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting pretty rough rostering Dahl as my 4th DL stash on an already thin roster. But waited this long, just can't drop now and risk him getting vultured..

But more positively, Reynolds been a nice fill in. Evidence that even 33 year olds can have breakout potential in Coors. Easy to forget this guy had consecutive HR totals: 28, 44, 32, 37, 23. No career scrub by any means, and possibly a case of Coors hiding age.. 

As a keeper owner I'm ok w/ this.  The longer they take in Dahl's return the healthier he'll be once he comes back.  Also, more time means more opportunity for CarGo to get hot and get dealt.

10 minutes ago, ragrag said:

As a keeper owner I'm ok w/ this.  The longer they take in Dahl's return the healthier he'll be once he comes back.  Also, more time means more opportunity for CarGo to get hot and get dealt.

Owner of both - would hate for CarGo to be dealt given splits and historically it's July/August when he's hot. I think it allows more time for Parra and Reynolds to falter but at this point who actually knows what the plan is? I can't imagine the Rockies move into the latter part of the season with this depth on offense with the holes in SP - maybe it's Parra/Reynolds that are moved?

On 4/25/2017 at 1:16 PM, Jericho said:

If people believe Parra and Reynolds are now full time starters based on a few weeks good play after years of sucking, I guess it also means Carlos Gonzalez and Trevor Story will now be benched indefinitely. After all, Desmond can play SS.

Right now both Parra and Reynolds have earned playing time. Especially Reynolds. How long that will last will depend on their production. Benching them right now sends a message to both your team and fans that you don't care about winning. 

Mark Reynolds could turn back into a pumpkin again but he could also do what Mike Napoli unexpectedly did last season. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

Right now both Parra and Reynolds have earned playing time. Especially Reynolds. How long that will last will depend on their production. Benching them right now sends a message to both your team and fans that you don't care about winning. 

Mark Reynolds could turn back into a pumpkin again but he could also do what Mike Napoli unexpectedly did last season. Time will tell. 

Yeah, Parra and his flat zero WAR. Look, if you think Parra's earned playing time, just bench Gonzalez. It's all based on the same logic. Parra hit...I wouldn't call it well. But it is at least better than Gonzalez for the last month. So if you're willing to dictate playing time based off one month's stats, then Gonzalez is out and Desmond is in.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:03 PM, Sine_cera said:

Ouch. Reynolds has hit the bench the past 2 days in favor of Desmond at 1B.  Didn't see that coming.  Figured we'd see Desmond in LF and Reynolds at 1B most days.

Kind of wondering if we end up in a split where Reynolds plays vs LHP and Dahl vs RHP. 

1 hour ago, ragrag said:

Kind of wondering if we end up in a split where Reynolds plays vs LHP and Dahl vs RHP. 

I reckon that's where it's heading. It's the smart play.

A Reynolds/Dahl platoon with Desmond moving back and forth between 1B and OF a la Ben Zobrist. Parra a straight reserve OF.

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

At this point, a week later -- and four more Reynolds HRs later -- I'd be happy with a platoon.

I mean, at what point do you considering benching/getting what you can for CarGo?

16 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Any news?

Prior to Tuesday’s double-header against the Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies manager Bud Black notioned that fans may be seeing action from sophomore outfielder David Dahl relatively soon, but wouldn’t give an exact timeline. “He’s getting close again,” Black said. “I think there’s some mild rotational happening, there’s some rotational stuff occurring—weight room, training room. So he’s getting close. I’m not going to say closer than you think, but he’s getting close.”

1 hour ago, b0nfire said:

Prior to Tuesday’s double-header against the Chicago Cubs, Colorado Rockies manager Bud Black notioned that fans may be seeing action from sophomore outfielder David Dahl relatively soon, but wouldn’t give an exact timeline. “He’s getting close again,” Black said. “I think there’s some mild rotational happening, there’s some rotational stuff occurring—weight room, training room. So he’s getting close. I’m not going to say closer than you think, but he’s getting close.”

What does Bud mean, "again"?

Was there some progress/setback I missed the memo on?

This injury has me paranoid. It's worse for recurrence than groins and hamstrings as far as I can tell, but it happens so rarely the sample size is irrelevant. 

I guarantee if Mark Reynolds strained his hammy you'd see he magically healed and would be back soon.  Rockies are delaying this decision as long as possible.  They are probably trying to work trade behind scenes, could trade rumors have Cargo distracted?  He just doesn't have a spot.  Agree or disagree they aren't sitting Desmond, Reynolds, Blackmon, Cargo for Dahl.  They already had to alter Desmond's position because of Reynolds being an MVP candidate.

57 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

Just randomly saying this but I would guess that Dahl will be back by the end of the month! 

Back riding minor league buses.

Sorry, but there isn't a spot for him on this team. You're paying Cargo 20 million. You put Dahl in the minors to gain an extra year of control and get his age 29 season instead of his 23 season. He has 70 days of service time. See you in August.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/colorado-rockies/

12 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

Back riding minor league buses.

Sorry, but there isn't a spot for him on this team. You're paying Cargo 20 million. You put Dahl in the minors to gain an extra year of control and get his age 29 season instead of his 23 season. He has 70 days of service time. See you in August.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/colorado-rockies/

That 70 days of service time was going into the season. He's accumulating service time while on the DL. If they were trying to preserve the year of control they'd want him off the DL (where he's accumulating service days) and onto the minor league roster (where he's not) ASAP.

1 hour ago, bdy1 said:

What does Bud mean, "again"?

Was there some progress/setback I missed the memo on?

This injury has me paranoid. It's worse for recurrence than groins and hamstrings as far as I can tell, but it happens so rarely the sample size is irrelevant. 

Sounds like he did have a setback:

A couple weeks ago, Black and the training staff tested Dahl to see if the injury was still smoldering, but instead of helping him, the return to heightened activity hurt him.

“We ramped him up, whenever that was, and it sort of flared up,” Black said. “Again you go by how the player’s feeling, the symptoms. You do the work and then everything’s fine and you ramp him up, and at that point he wasn’t quite ready. The fire was still smoldering. The embers were still there. Any sort of ignition flared it back up, and that’s what happened with Dahl.”

Beat? What does that mean? Personally I've been watching this thread from ST and he's always been a strike out machine while hitting bunch of boomers. Why so much hype? Don't get me wrong he was on my team last year. I don't know for some people formats probably works . Deep etc. Shiet he'll probably end up being a top 20 OF with all the other OF's that keep getting DL'd.  Aaa who knows.  Certainly intriguing dude to roster. Plenty upside IMO. I drafted him. Put in DL then dropped for crappola. Eh guy picked him up instantly. Shiet. Ugh., anyways good luck. 

Edited by Bugs bunny
Hope I can get him back some how