2ndCitySox

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Does this man even exist? Has anyone seen a picture of him?

This is getting ridiculous

I'm honestly wondering what he does all day.

Love the upside, but another setback and I'm bailing even in keepers.  Too many hurt players this season to be able to afford the luxury of reserving a DL space for him all damn year.

One of the best buys in keeper leagues. Super cheap right now. 

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I read an article in which he said that he has been picking his teammates brains, watching how opposing pitchers attack left handed batters, and watching how guys like Charlie Blackmon hit. He said he never did as much learning and talking when he was a rookie last season. Here is a quote from him recently.

“It’s helped me but it’s a little different. Being up here on the DL my injury lasting as long as it has it’s been pretty frustrating. Mentally it’s been a lot harder this time around, he said. “I thought [this injury] would be something that could go pretty quickly but that wasn’t the case so that’s why it’s pretty frustrating.”

On 5/31/2017 at 1:57 PM, street sharks said:

Does this man even exist? Has anyone seen a picture of him?

This is getting ridiculous

On 5/31/2017 at 4:02 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Found the answer for both of you in his latest (BREAKING) tweet

43 minutes ago, jamesisharden said:

Found the answer for both of you in his latest (BREAKING) tweet

Oh hey there Mrs. Dahl. What do you think about guys in their early-thirties that play in multiple fantasy baseball leagues and post about it on the subforum of the Rotoworld message board?

Call me. 

Just dropped Dahl for Greg Bird who at least has begun a rehab assignment.

So frustrating how little to no news about Dahl's recovery has been made available to the public. 

Best of luck to you Mrs. Dahl... Hope you got a DL spot at home.

The Denver Post’s Rockies reporter Patrick Saunders answered questions from readers about the Colorado Rockies on Thursday. Here are some of the highlights:

Hey Patrick, what’s the latest update on David Dahl? And where do you think he fits when he’s ready to return?

Patrick: I’m hesitant to tag a date to the return of David Dahl, because I’ve been wrong every time I have done so.

His next step is to play rehab games at Triple-A, but we’ve been waiting for that for two weeks. I think he will get that done in the next week or so.

But I also think he will stay in Triple-A for quite some time. Perhaps until the all-star break. There is no room for him right now and he needs to play and get is timing down and his baseball skills refreshed.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/01/rockies-live-chat-with-patrick-saunders/

36 minutes ago, exm said:

The Denver Post’s Rockies reporter Patrick Saunders answered questions from readers about the Colorado Rockies on Thursday. Here are some of the highlights:

Hey Patrick, what’s the latest update on David Dahl? And where do you think he fits when he’s ready to return?

Patrick: I’m hesitant to tag a date to the return of David Dahl, because I’ve been wrong every time I have done so.

His next step is to play rehab games at Triple-A, but we’ve been waiting for that for two weeks. I think he will get that done in the next week or so.

But I also think he will stay in Triple-A for quite some time. Perhaps until the all-star break. There is no room for him right now and he needs to play and get is timing down and his baseball skills refreshed.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/01/rockies-live-chat-with-patrick-saunders/

That's all good.  I don't want him on my active roster until he's absolutely raking at AAA and has proven beyond doubt that his stress reaction is in the past.

Question, b/c he started on the DL he'd likely stay on the DL throughout his AAA rehab, right?  and not have his status updated to M (<-- or N/A depending on how your league does it).

Edited by ragrag

20 minutes ago, ragrag said:

That's all good.  I don't want him on my active roster until he's absolutely raking at AAA and has proven beyond doubt that his stress reaction is in the past.

Question, b/c he started on the DL he'd likely stay on the DL throughout his AAA rehab, right?  and not have his status updated to M (<-- or N/A depending on how your league does it).

I think there's a maximum amount of days they can designate for his rehab. I think its 20 days for position players.

After that they'd have to activate him from the DL and either put him on the ML roster, or option him to AAA.

Based on his recent track record, Dahl is the kind of player who will get injured during his minor league rehab street ... perhaps he will become the Huston Street of position players? I say this as a frustrated Dave Dahl owner who might try to sell high if he gets a full week or two of good production whenever he does end up returning (post-ASB or perhaps 2018 the way this is going).

There's a note next to Dahl's name in Yahoo that's colored grey. DL + grey is never a good sign. Yahoo players know what I' m talking about.

With that said, I guarantee the moment I drop Dahl he goes on a rehab assignment.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

20 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

There's a note next to Dahl's name in Yahoo that's colored grey. DL + grey is never a good sign. Yahoo players know what I' m talking about.

With that said, I guarantee the moment I drop Dahl he goes on a rehab assignment.

take one for the team...

Yeah I think as optimistic as I can get at this point is that a lot of people will forget about him come draft time next year. Time to move on. 

Edited by Baur10

the milk carton people have gotten to the point that they stopped putting his pic on the milk cartoon's as it's a waste of ink.

11 minutes ago, bronxbombers723 said:

but if we have held onto him this long at this point is it worth it to let go of him if he is due back in early july?

That's a sunk cost. Cut your losses

Edited by Fiveohnine

Full disclosure this story is rated PG 13.  When I was a teenager I walked in on my older brother doing the boom boom with his girlfriend and I started laughing.  So he chased me up the stairs and beat the **** out of me.  Cracked 2 of my ribs.  Couldn't breath right for a bit.  It was ugly.  Anyone who's broken a rib knows it's painful because there's nothing you can do but rest, and put a wrap around your strenum.  In 2 months I was fine and cleared to do everything.  This guy on March 20th had an MRI that showed his injury was healing.  Something isn't adding up here.  This isn't a 3+ month injury.  Is Ray Ramirez running the Rockies now?  This injury absolutely baffles me. 

Stress reaction isn't like a broken rib from an impact. Muscles and tendons repeatedly pulling on a bone causes a stress fracture or microfractures. A stress reaction is the pain that precedes the fractures.

Read some about it because I had Jrue in a BB keeper league, and he had stress reactions in his shins. Heads up I'm not a doctor so med guys please correct and enlighten my misreading of the scarce lit: If you play through the pain you damage or fracture the bone. It seems like it's hard to discern whether the bone is strong enough to do the thing that stressed it if there aren't any microfractures to show up on an MRI, and doctors have to rely on the athlete reporting pain (contradiction here, with the recent positive MRI -- did Dahl actually suffer micro-fractures or is there some other mark an MRI picks up that I missed in my reading?). Anyway you rest until it feels better then try the activity again. Grab a bat, Dave... nope? okay... uh... oops rest it again and let's take it a little slower next time...

It's more common among rowers. In that sport the best (only?) way to keep it from recurring is to coach better form. If my understanding is correct, Dahl's injury on the sixth rib is associated with muscles/tendons that stretch between the rib and the shoulder blade. He swings the bat, the arms extend, the shoulder blades come off the ribs and all that force in extension bends the rib along his spine.

Here's where I jump the shark and land in an ocean of conjecture. It seems that if Dahl were to have to alter his swing to avoid reoccurrence, the adjustment would be for him to use his core strength to keep his shoulder blades low on his back and near the spine as he swings (much healthier posture btw). That would transfer a lot of the stress from his ribs to his core, make it harder to fully extend his arms, and shorten his swing. Think less Bellinger more Bonds.

K, I like that. I altered my golf swing just that way after doing some alignment yoga. My swing was more compact, I made better contact and, surprisingly, my hands were a lot stronger through the ball. 

So in dynasty I'm eager to watch him develop after he works this out. In a keep10 roster24 h2h I don't know if I have the room to shuffle him on and off the DL should it reoccur. Redraft, dang.

Edited by bdy1

Dahl is now "long from returning" due to his rehab stalling.

I'm so glad I cut bait a month ago.